Interesting

Kevo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a juvenile P cavimanus, set up in a small petpal with peat over a gravel false bottom. I just found it interesting that the scorp has burrowed down into the gravel, and seems happy sitting below the water line:? :? :?

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe the humidity is to low.
How humid is the tank?

Alexander

Kevo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very humid, dripping off the roof of the enclosure humid:)

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
All of my H.spinifer would regularly burrow down to the gravel layer and build their chamber. The last time I dug them up to piss them off(Atually to see if they were alive :rolleyes: ) I put a nice large piece of bark in their enclosure. Since the bark has been added they have not dug a new burrow. What I have noticed is that it stays moist under the bark as it probably would in the wild.

I believe yours too are just burrowing the where they are most comfortable. I would not worry about this situation. I would be careful when adding water...I would just add it more slowly so you don't flood them out.

John
];')

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My P. cavimanus also dug down to the gravel layer of his enclosure, and her cage is at ~90% humidity at all times. Perhaps the water is cooling on their bodies for the extreme heat. How warm is your cage? Mine is at ~85-95F.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
My H.spinifer enclosure ranges from anbout 105F directly under the lamp to about 75-80F at the far end of the 20L tank...though that is the surface temps...At the bottom where they used to burrow it was probably in the 75-80F range during the day...their burrow chamber was directly under the lamp...I do not know what the burrow temps under the lanm were though.

Now that I have the bark the have not dug a ne burrow...I would estimate the temps range from about 95F near the lamp to 80F away from the lamp...when I lift the bark they are usually clustered near the middle...probably about 85-88F(total guess).

John

Last edited: