whats a easy breed ?

mr bug guy

Arachnopeon
hi im looking for a good kind of tarantula to breed i really just want to get into the business,what type of tarantula would be a good type to breed for a starter.i was looking at a Poecilotheria formosa pair for 175 dollars so ,i was wondering if those sell a lot or nobody buys them and are they harder to breed i have dealt with a p regalis since my buddy is a expert in this business ,so iknow to be extra careful around these when breeding. thanks

EZB

Arachnopeon
Since your buddy is an expert perhaps you should just ask him?

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe try starting out with Pterinochilus murinus, haven't bred them myself although they're meant to be pretty easy.

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just FYI - Anything that's 'easy to breed' isn't going to 'sell a lot'. You can cruise around the classifieds and see that when a bunch of something is available (right now that seems to be versicolor and regalis) the price plummets. On the other hand species like P. metallica, or Xenesthis species that are desirable, hard to breed and have small egg sacks tend to maintain their value pretty well.

To directly answer your question - I don't have experience with formosa but regalis is fairly easy to breed. I don't want to discourage you, I'd just remind you that this should be done for fun... no one's making a quick buck here :)

mr bug guy

Arachnopeon
OK so how would i get a sling out if a buyer wanted one and do you think a sling would jump on a roach maybe a baby roach and are the mothers defensive for the baby's because what if a buyer wanted one how would i get one out .

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is one of the reasons I would start by raising and becoming familiar with the species you want to breed... any species is going to be aggressive when you remove the sack, and I wouldn't leave them with the mother beyond 1st instar.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you are insistant upon breeding, I think you should go for something in the Avics, like the versicolor. They aren't the most $, there is a demand for them, and they aren't the worst species to deal wth.

Really your posts make me think you need a LOT more experience with different species and a TON more reading.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I second the idea of Avics. They make good mothers, so you probably won't need to pull the egg sac before it hatches.
I think the easiest way to remove slings from the mother's cage is by first removing the mother.

P. murinus and L. parahybana are great breeders, but the slings are not worth much.

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
Why are you worried about business in the first place? Most people breed for fun, and hope with the money they get from selling slings they can buy feeders. I think you might be in it for the wrong reasons by the way you're talking.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you decide on Avicularia,breed either laeta,versicolor,purpurea,minatrix,or diversipes. Not trying to be a jerk,but with the way this genus is screwed up,we do not need any more hybrids of un-id'd avicualria floating around.Versi pairs can be had for a reasonable price these days,and they always seem to sell well even though the market if flooded with them..That said,P.murinus is a great first breeding project,as are C.fasciatum.Both are cheap and readily available,and produce sacks pretty quickly and need no special "conditioning" to drop sacks.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
OK so how would i get a sling out if a buyer wanted one and do you think a sling would jump on a roach maybe a baby roach and are the mothers defensive for the baby's because what if a buyer wanted one how would i get one out .
what the heck are you talking about?

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yoy need to do ALOT more reading. Check the breeding reports and clasifeilds. You usualy want to encubate the eggsack so the mom wont eat it and you can keep an eye on the eggs. check out robc's youtube (I think its tarantulaguy71 but Im not positive) he has alot of good sling care and breeding vedios.

JayMadison

Arachnosquire
I thought is was very difficult to make money breeding, given the costs of shipping and the difficulties of breeding etc

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought is was very difficult to make money breeding, given the costs of shipping and the difficulties of breeding etc
That is a whole different thread right there in all honesty.Threads where this questions pops up generally derail pretty quickly.

synyster

Arachnobaron
If you are insistant upon breeding, I think you should go for something in the Avics, like the versicolor. They aren't the most $, there is a demand for them, and they aren't the worst species to deal wth.

Really your posts make me think you need a LOT more experience with different species and a TON more reading.
I totally agree with this post.

From your first post to your thread written this week, I think you should really wait for the experience to kick in first. Seems like your in it for the buck and not for the fun. This can only result in many MM's dead, dud sacs, getting tagged and slings dying when your not sure about what your doing.

But if you still insist, like NikiP said, you'll be better off with Avic's.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
I totally agree with this post.

From your first post to your thread written this week, I think you should really wait for the experience to kick in first. Seems like your in it for the buck and not for the fun. This can only result in many MM's dead, dud sacs, getting tagged and slings dying when your not sure about what your doing.

But if you still insist, like NikiP said, you'll be better off with Avic's.
I agree with Synyster's agreeing.

akpropst

Arachnopeon
I mean no offense by saying this, as I am no expert, but judging by the questions you are asking you need more time in the hobby, period dot. That's just for the safety of the T's and slings you'd be dealing with. As far as what mind set you are in, I think you would be discouraged quickly as it doesn't appear to be easy to make money breeding. Don't get me wrong, people do it, and make decent money, but they devote ALOT of time and sweat to the hobby and they appear to do it for the love of making certain species more readily available for us little guys. Again, take what I say with a grain of salt. As i'm t3h n00bz0r. :cool:

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been in the hobby for around 15 years give or take. I have a female sitting on my first egg sac right now. Most people have more success than me, but it isn't easy. Be prepared for the long haul if you want to breed.

ETA: I also wanted to add that I don't even know if the sac I have is good or not. I may have to wait until my 16th year to get a good one... :)