Any advice on enlosure for G Rosea

Dazo420

Arachnopeon
Im new to the hobby and got my first T about a month ago from my local exotic pet shop. After doing some research on all the T's the owner had in stock. I Decide to go with the G Rosea as its adviced by many people as the best begginer T. I have also read and made a copy of the thread how to really take care of your G Rosea so my T gets looked after the way it should. So far I have been really happy with my G Rosea its been the real busy body moving its substrate about and its now blocked its self in its hide. So I reckon its reckon its getting ready to molt from what I have read on this forum. The T his about 3" and its current enclosure isnt mcuch bigger than him/her. So I was thinking about getting one of the exo terra terrarium (12 x 12 x 12). Is this a good size and would it do when he/she is fully grown?

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Congrats on your new pet! I love the Exo Terra terrariums the only problem in my opinion is that with terrestrial Ts you can't get enough substrate because of the doors. You don't want to risk them climbing the walls and having a long way to fall. Another option you might consider is a 5 gallon aquarium with a lid. I keep my G rosea in a 10 gallon (she's maybe 5") but 5 should be fine. Sounds like you are on the right track. Would love to see pictures of your rosie :)

Robin Da Hood

Arachnopeon
I am sure you have read the care sheet from the AB here on how to take care of a G. rosea. I too, like yourself read up and studied for awhile before I bought my first T which is a G. rosea. You just want to make sure you have enough substrate in the enclosure. Some say 1 and a half to two times the spiders leg length to ensure that if and when your spider (being a terrestrial) climbs the sides of your container, can't fall and rupture it's abdomen, this being the most delicate part of the T. The enclosure you are looking at the 12x12x12 cube would have to be half full of substrate for a "full grown" G. rosea. This would be impossible with the door set up on the Exo Terra enclosure.

There are threads in here on enclosures that show terrestrial T's in up to 3 level enclosures. Some here say if you give them this type of enclosure they are more apt to use the other levels than climb the glass. Check out these threads on enclosures. A terrestrial T probably will not take advantage of a 12 inch tall enclosure. Since you want them to stay as close to the ground as possible. I have seen on these boards some terrestrial T's here in pretty tall enclosures. Is up too you. Just want to put them in a safe surroundings to enjoy them for years to come.

Welcome to the AB, I am sure there will be others to chime in with more advice on this, or you can use the search function to get loads of info on this topic. Welcome again and have fun!:D

Dazo420

Arachnopeon
Congrats on your new pet! I love the Exo Terra terrariums the only problem in my opinion is that with terrestrial Ts you can't get enough substrate because of the doors. You don't want to risk them climbing the walls and having a long way to fall. Another option you might consider is a 5 gallon aquarium with a lid. I keep my G rosea in a 10 gallon (she's maybe 5") but 5 should be fine. Sounds like you are on the right track. Would love to see pictures of your rosie :)
Thanks for the advice. I will get some pics of my rosie when ever she or he decides to come out of the hide that it seemed to have locked itself in lol. I think he/she might be moltin as the colour has faded since i've had him/her. As when I first got my rosie it was redish/lorange and now its got alot darker and bit of black. I have been looking at some other tanks and things and im wondering what the best dimensions are?

Slevin

Arachnosquire
i actually had my adult rosea in a 12x12x12 exo cube once and the other poster is right, the front opening door doesn't allow you to fill it with enough substrate to make up for the height. i now house her in a 16x8x8 (LxWxH) acrylic tank from tarantulacages.com with around 3" of substrate. any sort of 5 to 10 gallon tank from a local pet store will have similar dimensions. now she has lots of room to move and not enough height to fall and injure herself. hope that helps!

Dazo420

Arachnopeon
i actually had my adult rosea in a 12x12x12 exo cube once and the other poster is right, the front opening door doesn't allow you to fill it with enough substrate to make up for the height. i now house her in a 16x8x8 (LxWxH) acrylic tank from tarantulacages.com with around 3" of substrate. any sort of 5 to 10 gallon tank from a local pet store will have similar dimensions. now she has lots of room to move and not enough height to fall and injure herself. hope that helps!
Thanks for the reply. I have found a clear plastic screen thats just about 12x7. So I was thinking about a bit of D.I.Y and puttin it at the front doors to build some of the substrate up so its not as high. What do you think? Its just the exo terra look good and looks like it will make it alot easier for me to do what ever I need to do in the enclosure if you know what I mean lol

Slevin

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the reply. I have found a clear plastic screen thats just about 12x7. So I was thinking about a bit of D.I.Y and puttin it at the front doors to build some of the substrate up so its not as high. What do you think? Its just the exo terra look good and looks like it will make it alot easier for me to do what ever I need to do in the enclosure if you know what I mean lol
in the end its all up to you. if you like to that idea i say go with it! DIY enclosures can be a huge part of the fun owning tarantulas.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
just go to walmart, get a $5 platic tub with the handles that lock the lid, drill 1/4" holes all the way around the top of the sides, take a razorblade and cut off any flash, then take a lighter and quickly run it across the holes, inside and out...add bone dry substrate, water bowl, hide, and whatever else your throwin in...most of my T's are in plastic tubs, aarboreal tubs, and terrestrial tubs, and alot of them are in small deli cups to tall deli cups, vials, and my big pokies are in 12x12x18 exxo terras....

Dazo420

Arachnopeon
just go to walmart, get a $5 platic tub with the handles that lock the lid, drill 1/4" holes all the way around the top of the sides, take a razorblade and cut off any flash, then take a lighter and quickly run it across the holes, inside and out...add bone dry substrate, water bowl, hide, and whatever else your throwin in...most of my T's are in plastic tubs, aarboreal tubs, and terrestrial tubs, and alot of them are in small deli cups to tall deli cups, vials, and my big pokies are in 12x12x18 exxo terras....
Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I live in scotland and we dont have a walmart lol. But there is plenty of places I could get a tub which you described but im wanting something a bit better than just a plastic tub lol. Im just a bit fussy but thats just me lol. Thanks for advice anyway.