Is this safe for my Tarantula?

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've spent a lot of time over the last few weeks, designing a lovely new custom made enclosure for my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.

I'm really happy with it, but what's far more important to me, is that she will be too.

The possible issue, is this:

For the backdrop/earth wall, I used brown, aquarium safe, acetic cure, RTE marine silicone sealant.

Its curing time was said to be no longer than 7 to 10 days to be fully cured; yet three weeks later, in two small parts of the backdrop/hide, there is still a very faint vinegary (acetic acid) smell. Everything is completely dry to the touch, and coated in a layer of eco earth.

But, before I put my beloved little T into her new enclosure, I wanted to check with some of you who have experience in making custom backdrops, whether this will be safe for her?

As I say, it's not like the initial strong overpowering acetic acid smell, just barely a trace, but, it's still there nevertheless.

Would a few of our experienced members please be kind to advise me if you think it would have any negative effects on her, if I put her into the new enclosure now?

And if not, any suggestions as to what I can do to finish the process of eliminating the trace of acetic acid smell so it's safe for her please?

I've put so much work into this, it would be such a shame if I can't use it, but I don't want to bring any harm to her.

Thanks for any advise you can offer me. :)

Austin

Arachnosquire
Maybe run some better air flow on the backdrop and inside the hide. Stick it under a fan for a day see if it helps any.

Josh Perry

Arachnosquire
in The Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Stanley A. Schultz and Marguerite J. Schultz there is a brief mention of that smell being very toxic to tarantulas i can't remember what it said exactly but i think it did some nueroligical damage. If i do find what it said ill post it. But if i were you i would air it out heavily for at the very least a few more days until i can't detect and traces of the smell.

Josh Craig

Arachnopeon
I use the aquarium silicone to glue cork bark to the top of arboreal enclosures and it never hurts em. I just make sure that smell airs out.

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies.

It's been kept in a large well ventilated room for three weeks now Austin, and I've tried a hair-dryer on it for a while after week two, but I'll give it a go under a fan too.

Yes, would appreciate the TKG quote if you happen to find it Josh, cheers.

I use the aquarium silicone to glue cork bark to the top of arboreal enclosures and it never hurts em. I just make sure that smell airs out.
I'm kind of at a loss as to what else I can do to make that happen Josh.

After the time and work I've put into this, will be gutted if I can't use it now. :(
It looks so nice, I was so looking forward to seeing her in there.

All I can think, is that perhaps the outer skin has dried, but maybe not fully dried out underneath in places, and with the skin formed, anything not dried underneath it can't get the air it needs to finish curing. Will try stabbing a few tiny holes in those places to see if this helps.

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

RobS

Arachnopeon
Saf,

I won't violate copyright by directly quoting, but to paraphrase, the author states explicitly that the fumes released by the curing silicone compound are toxic to your tarantula. He then further cautions the reader to allow all of the odor (of acetic acid) to dissipate -completely- before placing your tarantula in the enclosure.

Ref: TKG 3rd ed., sidebar, page 248

I would say that based on the above, and the very good possibility of dire consequences, do not be tempted to act hastily. If you cannot get it to where the odor is completely gone, then tear-it-down. Not worth it!

Last edited:

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Saf,

I won't violate copyright by directly quoting, but to paraphrase, the author states explicitly that the fumes released by the curing silicone compound are toxic to your tarantula. He then further cautions the reader to allow all of the odor (of acetic acid) to dissipate -completely- before placing your tarantula in the enclosure.

Ref: TKG 3rd ed., sidebar, page 248

I would say that based on the above, and the very good possibility of dire consequences, do not be tempted to act hastily. If you cannot get it to where the odor is completely gone, then tear-it-down. Not worth it!

Thanks for that Rob. Sorry for late response, I don't have internet at the moment, just checking in at my mum's place (where I've been making the enclosure).

The good news is that I seem to be having some progress. I stabbed many (not visible to the naked eye) holes all over the backdrop/hide in the areas that were not curing, and then placed it right in front of a large fan for the day. I've come back to it this weekend and done the same again today, and there is a big improvement. Family say they cannot smell anything on the hide now; though I'm not certain that there is not still the faintest of odour persisting in one place.

I'm going to proceed with another day of the fan treatment, and I'm very hopeful that after this, it will be fullly cured. :)

If not though, disappointing though it may be after the work I've put in, I'll just have to start again from scratch. She's too important to me to take any risks with her health.

Fingers crossed though, I think this course of action has done the trick. :D

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey there, if you want to test it out, put some crickets in there, see if they live. (Make sure they provide water/food)

also, why not put it outside in the sun?