Help! Bad Molt!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My H. swammerdami finally molted. But He had a bad molt. 3 of his legs on it's right side were stuck. I got one of it's legs out, but the back two have old exoskeleton stuck to it. Also it's left pedipalp is badly deformed. How can I get the old exoskeleton off it's back legs? And can I do anything about it's pedipalp? Please Help!!!!

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
im sure others with chime in, but from what i have soaked up in the time ive been on the boards, try to get your humidity level up , i.e. a bathroom with a hot shower, try to see if you can delicately remove the exo, if not, the t will be ok, it will heal next molt or 2. im sure others will chime in with more detailed explanations, but as long as your T can eat, it'll be just fine!!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There is not that much you can do about it.....the longer after the exdysis, the more troublesome it gets to remove old skin. You could try a mix of a couple of drops of water and some drops of glycerine to soften the old skin. This is a FAQ, so there is probably more info to be found when you use the search function.

good luck, Michiel

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's back right legs are stuck in the old ones. Thanks for the replies. I will try the glycerine and water. I also put it in a I.C.U. I'm sorry, but I woke up at 5 am the day before, and I posted this at almost 3 am the next day. I was not thinking clearly and I was very tired so that would be why I did not use the search function.

---------- Post added 08-08-2011 at 12:06 PM ----------

im sure others with chime in, but from what i have soaked up in the time ive been on the boards, try to get your humidity level up , i.e. a bathroom with a hot shower, try to see if you can delicately remove the exo, if not, the t will be ok, it will heal next molt or 2. im sure others will chime in with more detailed explanations, but as long as your T can eat, it'll be just fine!!
I'm talking about a scorpion, but OK.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hope it works out. Keep us posted,ok?

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have it in a I.C.U at the moment. The best way you could see it would be under the blacklight. My camera has trouble taking blacklight pics. So I might make a video. It's not as bad as it was. The pedipalp is starting to look better. His back two legs are still stuck in the molts legs, so it looks like a leg with another leg growing inside it. The rest of the molt is gone. I will try to post pics or vids soon.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You might lose the two legs. Their is a good chance that it will be fine without them. I've had several scorpion that were missing a leg or other body parts. The claw might end up good the next molt, at least functional. Getting it to molt faster probably wont help much unless you can get the old skin off. What will end up happening is you'll get three layers of skin, with two being malformed and too small.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The question is if the animal will molt fine nect time....

Sent from my GT-I9001

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Michiel,

If the goal is to get it to have a normal molt next time then I guess a hot box would speed things up. In that all the old skin would have to come off. I imagine the old skin would cause a loss of circulation. Maybe I thinking of my own experience too much. I've only had bad experinces when it comes to pulling of old skib with small scorpions. I always lose the limb.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi john, the problem is that there is a risk that these malformed legs will get stuck during the next molt. A humid and warm environment will help next time. Peeling off old skin is almost not do-able with just molted scorps,wait one or two days after the molt.....

Sent from my GT-I9001

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for all the imput guys. I'm aware that it might loose it's legs, but as long as it does not loose it's life. I'm glad to see that the claw might heal with the next molt. I will keep you guys updated, thanks again for your help.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would've tried to work the old off the legs, that's just me. It may even do better without those stiff things in the way, but I don't want to encourage you to try anything. I think like you do in that I would only want it to survive at this point, I don't care if something like this loses legs or is impaired in some way, as long as I might be able to breed it later. I'd feel really good to see it eat something after all of this, good luck with it.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, I put it in the hot box. I will post pics soon. It still has not eaten.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
After mine molt, they don't eat for around 2 weeks. I would disable a small cricket or roach too so it only can move it's legs a little when you feed it. You might try putting a drop on it's mouth parts to see if it's thirsty though, you have a dropper bottle? I have several tools, scissors, dental scraper, spray bottle, a clear ketchup bottle for squirting water around and in water caps, tongs, chop sticks, a few other things.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
when your using the water, use a small paintbrush and gently brush the old skin until it comes off..

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
when your using the water, use a small paintbrush and gently brush the old skin until it comes off..
I tried that, it won't come off.

---------- Post added 08-20-2011 at 04:15 PM ----------

I have good news.
I got the scorp to eat. I crushed a cricket until all it could do was twitch it's legs. Then I put it in front of him and he ate it. Also my Damon diadema are being shipped on monday, and will arive tuesday.