Poecilotheria metallica "black morph"

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone here on the boards own them? Is it just a varient like the H. incei gold?? Does this just happen with mature females???

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I know a few that own them.
I've read three things from various websites/forums that I can't remember anymore.

One, that there is actually a black form P. metallica.
Two, black form P. metallicas are just old individuals, as they apparently darken with age.
Three, they are actually hybrids.:rolleyes:

Anyone know which is true? I'm leaning towards number one, as although I know they do get darker as they age, I don't know if they eventually turn black.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There was a discussion on here a while ago about this. I believe they are just older females if I remember correctly.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have read all the same positions on this subject...Does anyone have any concrete answers?? Cause from what I have read not all turn black even with age...Additional info would be helpful..

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They darken with age. The seem to max out on color when they are about 4".

---------- Post added 08-13-2011 at 06:07 PM ----------

BTW, I don't think it is black, just a really really dark midnight blue.

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
1. There is no such thing as black (or "true" blue) form of P. metallica.
2. They all darken at approximately 2.5-3 years of age.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1. There is no such thing as black (or "true" blue) form of P. metallica.
2. They all darken at approximately 2.5-3 years of age.
Good to know...Thanks for clearing that up...I had come upon a link about it but there was no clear or definitive answer...

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Rick West had a pic of a black P. metallica on his site a few years ago, but the image has since been removed. Years ago at a ATS conference Andrew Smith spoke about a black pokie, aka "Shadow pokie". In my expierance all the dark metallica's I've owned where just older ones, but I know of other breeders that will argue that there is a black form :happy:

Later, Tom