My emperor wont come out.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Is it normal for an Emperor Scorpion to spend 24 hours in one spot (after a cricket)? I recently built my scorpion a new and much better hideout than his last. Last night I gave him a cricket and he dragged it into his new spot and he hasn't emerged since. I checked on him and he is alive and done with the cricket, yet he will not emerge. I hope this means he is finally happy because he hasn't come out to attempt his usual nightly escapes. Thanks for your help.

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's actually a good sign. A hidden Emperor scorpion is a happy Emperor scorpion. Just make sure your temperatures and humidity stays in the correct margins and everything should be fine. In the wild, they're ambush predators and whatever wanders around or into their burrows will become food.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
sweet. He has been spending more time in his new hideout and taking his food in there as well. I use a cardboard tp tube and put it level then pour substrate over it enough to make it cave-like. I plan on taking the tube out and stirring up the substrate and then using a new tube and doing the same thing with the same substrate. How often would you recommend changing the substrate?

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd say whenever it becomes moldy or mite-infested should they become a problem but I change my substrate every six months or so. I should probably do it more often though now that I've been heavily planting their enclosure and the fact that the springtails help keep things clean I've become much more inclined to just let it sit. They certainly don't enjoy being held and moved around so I try to keep stress to a minimum for maximum life expectancy. This includes letting them sit in their burrows undisturbed. I think it's pretty much up in the air to tell you the truth. Short and simple: if it looks moldy or there are mites in abundance I'd change it.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i wouldnt use the tp rolls either to be honest.high humidity and moist substrate and cardboard dont mix well. just get a piece of light weight flat rock or cork bark and start a scrape for it and let your emp do the rest.

a hidden emp is a happy emp.:cool:

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
TP rolls will build bacteria up. Ur emp is very fine and happy, my AFS doesnt move the entire day and only ventures to the opening of its burrow at around 11+ or so. But even than i still love these burrowers, very cool!

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Yeah I should really get one, I just can't afford it right now. I just paid 780 bucks for school books. I plan on changing the tp roll every two weeks but I have to try and think of something around here I can use. I have a half coconut but he didn't seem to happy in there.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
So whatever I put in there should be pretty flat right? I really would like to find him something like the cardboard tube. He goes all the way to the back and hasn't even been near his coconut since I built this for him. That's a really good idea, but we don't have any of that stuff around here either. I'll keep my eye open. They have the half logs for like 4 bucks but he really likes his tube.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Hmm perhaps ur emp likes the tight space the tube offers. They pretty much like to cram themselves to feel safe, is what i have observed. If only he could dig his own burrow haha

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If only he could dig his own burrow haha
hahaha

emperors are burrowers nj.if they have enough substrate they will make a tight fitting burrow by themselves just fine.its quite entertaining watching them make their own hiding spot too. like someone mentioned earlier a broken pot.a terra cotta pot from wal mart is $1-$2.break a piece of a side and bottom off making a snug cave on a slope of substrate or flat on the sub for your emp to make a scrape and burrow down.if your that broke and dont have a penny,you still have nature which is free.just disinfect properly before using.:biggrin:

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
My scorpion hasn't tried to dig a burrow at all. I'm not sure why. I can get a little half log for 4 bucks at Petsmart so maybe I'll try that.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Probably because hes been supplied with a premade burrow hiding spot.

my male doesnt really care to burrow unless the female starts it,then hes all up on that.

look at peoples emperor enclosures and let your creativity flow with what you have available.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
If you want to make "Pre Dug" tunnels the cheapest way is to go to the hardware store and buy white PVC.

Size it according to your tank, they'll almost certainly do most of the cuts there if you know the lengths you want.

Then I cut the tube how I want it.

Usually almost in half so its a “U” shape and a foot or so long.

If u want it to look natural go buy some slate rock and go nuts lol.
U can build caves and tunnels with the rock then fill the rest in with your coco/soil mix.

For burrowers I like to minimize substrate changes and op for rock bottom setup that I can flood to keep the humidity up, and isopods to eat scraps.

IMO you should plan a new setup, read up on different ppls methods and tweak it to your needs.
and on the next substrate change implement your plan.

Good Luck.

Bam

MB623

Arachnoknight
Content Emp

Is it normal for an Emperor Scorpion to spend 24 hours in one spot (after a cricket)? I recently built my scorpion a new and much better hideout than his last. Last night I gave him a cricket and he dragged it into his new spot and he hasn't emerged since. I checked on him and he is alive and done with the cricket, yet he will not emerge. I hope this means he is finally happy because he hasn't come out to attempt his usual nightly escapes. Thanks for your help.
Sounds like a happy emp, it only took my emp about a week to settle into his new home, then after he settled in he never comes out, although he occasionally goes on a nightly stroll in front of his hide. As for an easy mold proof hide I use a pill bottle cut the bottom off and cut it in half length and width wise, that way it makes 4 little hides.