Help Quick!!!

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I just got a B. smithi probably 5 inch adult in the mail. the heat pack wasn't hot when I opened it and he is very cold. he doesn't respond to touch at all. but he is not dead yet. I have taken him out of the cup he was in and he is now sitting on my desk. should I heat him up quick or slowly. I am at work right now but we have a hand dryer in the batroom... I was thinking heat up the cup in the hand dryer untill it is around 80-90 degrees and then placing him in the cup? any thoughts?

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am in no means a pro but I would suggest you warm him up on the slow side. Keep it in a warm room while you set up it's enclosure but don't heat that either. Room temp, warmish (75-80) is fine and let it adjust and warm up slowly by itself. In a few hours you can place it in a warmer environment.

Hope your new T is alright!

Pixie

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the cup he came in was a little too wet I think that may have contributed to the problem but I took out the old paper towel and put innew ones he is starting to move a little when blown on. but he is also kindof curling the fromt legs underI don't think its the death curl its more of the hiding the eyes posture but the legs are curled slightly. I'm really worried so any suggestions would be great

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok update he is starting to walk around but has very noticable difficulty he stumbels and the legs are curling a little more. but he is giving an effort to walk is that a good sign?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just wait until he's had longer to warm up before trying to draw too many conclusions, you're just going to drive yourself nuts. Tarantulas exposed to too cold of temps often have (near) permanent neurological problems with walking and coordination of movements, a few recover, a few cope, some don't make it. However, you need to give the thing time for all the tissues to warm up, the haemolymph to circulate sufficiently, the metabolism to fully reset itself, etc. before deciding if this is just waking up from anasthesia or something more sinister.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
IMO...sounds like you're on the right track. I receive some Tsicles yesterday but they get real active once I got them off the cool to cold wet paper substrate on to some warm moist ones. I just took it slow and in the course of 15-20 minutes they were all very feisty.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Jeff

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I will give it a while I will update you guys on the progress every hour or so

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I just took another look at him and he is limp. his legs just flop around when I picked him up and I believe he is deceased. do they ever die without the death curl?

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd say it's possible.. maybe it was too weak too even get into a death curl man.. that's some sad ass shiz though! i can't imagine being all happy getting a new t then it dies a couple hours later...

oh and hopefully you'll get another one free of charge to cheer you up a bit you know? it's almost like your starving and someone brings out this huge steak give you a bite and takes it away...

sorry to hear that...

Last edited:

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well it was a breeding loan. the guy sent me the male. he was premature but probably only 1 molt from maturity. what gets me is this guy probably grew this little guy from a spiderling probably had it for a year or two and then he sends it to me and its dead. I feel really bad for the guy after I breed my female I will send him a few slings to try and make up for his loss. but I know I can't replace his spider I can just do my best to make him feel beter knowing it wasn't a complete loss. anyway the guys name was larry walker. I don't know if hes a member here or not so if hes reading this then I am sorry man.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
When I got my last shipment of T's in December, they were shipped without a heatpack, plus I missed the delivery and it was 8pm before UPS would allow me to have them.

When I got home I unpacked them in my bedroom, removed the cold and wet paper towels and replaced the T's back into their vials. I didn't know if they would make it or not, there were no signs of life whatsoever. I checked on them every hour, the little E. uataman was the first to start twitching it's legs. The little T. purpureus was next. After about 4 hours the T. plumipes started moving, although it was very little. About an hour after that the T. latipes started coming around.

I was advised by the shipper to heat them up very slowly. My bedroom is where all my T's are kept and is the warmest room in my apartment at 70 degrees. All are doing well today, though the T. latipes still hasn't eaten anything; but she's darkening considerably so I believe she's premolt.

Don't write them off as dead yet!