2 of my 6 tarantulas died :( what did I do wrong? dks? Sads?

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys today was a really bad day my ps3 broke completely, in the morning an avic sling died and as soon I got home and another versi was in a death curl - when I blew on it was completely blown away. My first versi is still going sttong and was a molt ahead by several weeks and pretty fat. I kept them in a jar with paper towel and another paper towel damp strip on the top for humidity..condensation was clearly forming on the top of the enclosure. They were pretty small and had small abdomens. was it a failed molt? The first one that died was jerking out and spazzing its legs looking kinda like talkenlate04s dks regalis. No idea how it could get dks - was kept in a former paprika jar (very well washed but top was stained red with it), still doesnt explain why the second one died. Any help?

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmmm, sounds more like PAHS to me (Poor Avicularia husbandry Syndrome).

Avicularia, generally as a species need a decent humidity and very good ventilation, keeping them in jars with a couple of bits of paper towels isn't going to do them any good. The reason why you saw so much condensation is clearly due to poor ventilation.

Here is a thread that I wrote that will give you information on how to house various kinds of spiderling and also a few tips on how to care for them properly.

Spiderling Housing & Care

heavydumbs

Arachnosquire
How do u keep humidity high with poor ventilation? Also my slings are in plastic deli containers how do i keep the temp up cuz surely heat mats will melt them?

cnapple

Arachnoknight
How do u keep humidity high with poor ventilation? Also my slings are in plastic deli containers how do i keep the temp up cuz surely heat mats will melt them?
To answer your first question, keep the substrate moist and occasionally mist. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation holes - cross ventilation is particularly important for air circulation, so have holes on the side as well as the top of the container.

As for your second question, unless you live in the southern hemisphere, or the extreme north, you probably don't need to augment the heat right now in any way. As for cooler times of the year, space heaters are best. Keep the ambient temperature in your room above 70 F and you're fine. If for some reason, you want the room cooler, an alternative is to place the slings in vials/deli cups and place the vials in a larger tank, then place a heat mat on the side of the larger tank.

Also - read mcluskyism's thread, or pick up a copy of the TKG.

---------- Post added 08-16-2011 at 11:07 AM ----------

OP - sorry for your loss. :( But it does seem like the slings were improperly housed, with insufficient ventilation. At least now, you can avoid such problems with your other slings, and hopefully won't have to deal with such a sad day in the future.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didnt just dump then on paper towels I layered the jar with it from the inside, the condensation formed because of the damp strip of paper towel on the top - not inadequate ventilation as I had over 150 holes. After researching versicolor sling care I had found out the whole keep them on paper towel method which involves layering the inside of the jar so the sling has a place to climb and hide (developed by bill s to minimize sling deaths and creae a clean room/icu until they get hardier). One of them (the 3rd instar was doimg quite well -pretty fat and webbed a great deal). Yesterday I moved them all to sub and one did nicely - built a web, but the 3rd instar which made its web in the paper towel has not made a web (although im giving him at least 3 days to get acclimated). From what I have been reading avic slings especially versicolors are rather fragile ungil they get to a hardier stage. Humidity was measured at 80% and temperture around 85. Ventilation I believe was not an issue as I had so many holes and air flow was evident.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You can have too much ventilation. As for cross ventilation, that's really up to you. I have a few avics and a P. irminia and a GBB which typically are said to need higher humidity, however i have enough ventilation that there is no need to over-do it. Also I water weekly with a squirt bottle to moisten the substrate, and a few times a month i spray the sides of the containers. Most of what you will find is that they will go to the substrate to drink.
Now what you should do is if these are all pre 5i slings, go to a deli or ralphs and get the 4 ounce containers they have and find yourself some cocofiber, peatmoss or some form of natural/organic soil, papertowels can harbor bacteria which may have been the cause of the deaths as they are more absorbent then a soil. And please read the link mcluskyisms has in their reply.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Honestly, I think people stress too much on ventilation. I have raised two from tiny slings with the same amount of ventilation as the rest of my slings and they are still doing great. I use peat as substrate and add water when it looks dry.

lion

Arachnopeon
I would blame it on overcare. You cared them to death...
As for the silly idea of washing a pepper jar out, why not go overboard and invest in a plastic deli cup that you don't have to wash out.
I think your best answer is the second post but to be honest you don't need all that humidity that everyone preaches about.

I use peat as substrate and add water when it looks dry.

Last edited:

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would blame it on overcare. You cared them to death...
As for the silly idea of washing a pepper jar out, why not go overboard and invest in a plastic deli cup that you don't have to wash out.
I think your best answer is the second post but to be honest you don't need all that humidity that everyone preaches about.
Sounds about right to me. They seem to thrive when left alone. You can buy spice jars at a variety of stores for a dollar, or craft cubes for a couple and they work great! Then again, I don't like Sterilite containers because they simply are not clear enough for me and I like all my containers to match...

phily1579

Arachnopeon
Dude. Dont argue bro. U ask what happened. They told u. And i avree with them. There no ventilation in a jar, theres only so much air. They suffocated. So learn the lesson and learn from ur mistakes. Instead of using jars. Use plastice. Ile or the deli cups. Put holes on side not on top to keep the heat in. Hot air rises. Addalil subtrate put a fake tree leaf in there and whatch it grow?!!

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dude tarantulas are extremely hard to suffocate because unlike mammals they take in very little oxygen and release very little carbon dioxide - herin why tarantulas can be shipped in small boxes with no air holes. On the other hand I did everything else you guys all suggested and you know what - my little guy molted :)
phily1579 your right about the holes on side though (keeps humidity alot better).
have a hygrometer, temperture gauge, eco earth, soldering iron, and a bunch of amac boxes coming in so I can provide the proper care!

lion

Arachnopeon
Sadly a death from a spider is the hardest but also the fastest way to learn what you need to do so best of luck with the rest of them.