A. Versicolor sling care

serialthrilla91

Arachnopeon
Hey, I purchased an Avicularia Versicolor sling recently and I just had a few questions, are there any signs I should look for that it isn't healthy? Right now it's (unsexed, so I don't wanna jinx myself by saying he/she) .5 inches, I have it in a little pill bottle right now, with some peat moss, I mist it daily, some times multiple times if it looks like it's drying out. It seems healthy enough, It's webbing the enclosure, and I crushed the head on a baby dubia and put it in there and it ate on it for a while, then once it stopped, I removed it. I'm also looking for care critiques, if anyone can think of something that I'm forgetting to do, or maybe something I need to do different or better, please share, I desperately want this sling to thrive. Also, how large should the abdomen be in relation to the cephalothorax? My versi's abdomen is currently larger by a small margin.

Thanks, serialthrilla91

Slevin

Arachnosquire
everything sounds good. is it just peat moss in there or is there some sort of structure for her to climb? it's important for arboreals to have something to climb so they can feel safe. my versi sling is a .5 as well and i've fed her 4 times now over the past 2 weeks of one baby dubia roach each time. she gobbles them up and leaves nothing but a bolus. her abdomen is now much larger than her cephalothorax which is usually how i keep my slings.

serialthrilla91

Arachnopeon
Ok, well no, it's just moss, my versi sits on the walls, my intent was to get a small stick or something to put in there, but when she started webbing, I thought that ment she was ok with her enclosure, I'll get her a stick or something tomorrow. How long should I leave food in there? Until it's gone? I dont want it to mold, I'm super scared that will happen. How long does that take?

Slevin

Arachnosquire
well i have a piece of corkbark and a fake branch with leaves in my enclosure but i've seen people that did just fine without any sort of decor in theirs. all in all though, it wouldn't hurt to give her something. with the food, 24 hours in the enclosure then take it out. sometimes slings will eat a part and then leave it and come back later for more. so yea, after 24 hours i take out any left over food to help keep mites from dropping by. also, it depends on the ventilation vs humidity when it comes to mold growth. since you don't seem to mind misting her enclosure, try to add some lower holes in the bottle if possible. stagnant humid air will easily kill your sling. you know, since our slings are both the same type and size, you should keep me updated with a pm or something when it molts. it would be cool to record our versicolors' growth rates =)

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my versi made a huge web hammok before i remembered to put a stick in. She's .5 as well. No stick, all good things. Just soil on the bottom with a maze of web she did... lol

serialthrilla91

Arachnopeon
Ok, I don't know where to get corkbark small enough to fit in her pill bottle, I was told that it's ok to use stick from outside if I bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, have you heard anything like that? I'll go and add some low holes tonight then, since I'm so liberal with my spray bottle. Actually, that sounds like an awesome idea, same goes for you, if your versi molts, lemme know, ok?

Slevin

Arachnosquire
ok will do! and yea, i love to make my own hides so i grab outside wood, scrub it with hot water for a minute or two, then bake at 350 degrees for 15 mins. works like a charm and you get to customize it. but like crysta said, you don't have to since it seems fine and just a sling anyway. i find it really fun to decorate enclosures however.

Last edited:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my guys in premolt atm so should molt anyday