Mantis Q's....

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I recently got my first invertebrate, a mantis. I did research before getting the little one, but apparently not enough, because now I have a lot more wuestions that I'm having a hard time finding the answer to. First, here's my new friend, Midori:

Her current home. Is this going to be big enough for her (him?) as she grows, or will I need to upgrade?

Crunchy!

How do I sex her/him? What species is she? From looking around on the 'net I would guess P. Walberghii, but I'm not sure. How often *Should* I be feeding her? Right now she eats about four three-week crickets every week. When should I expect her to moult? I've had her about two months now, and she's certainly eaten a lot, so I expected her to have moulted by now.

If she's going to outgrow her current tank, what would you recommend? How often do you recommend cleaning the tank? I've been cleaning it about every three weeks because I've noticed that she has the habit of leaving little decapitated cricket pieces all over the place.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. Thanks in advance for any help!! :)

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd say P. wahlbergi is a good guess, or else annother in the same genus.

I don't have any experience with that species, but I can give you some general mantid advice.

Mantids can be sexed by examining the underside of the abdomen. The males will have more tergites (segments) visible, at least 7, while females have 6 visible with the last one being much larger.

The mantid will not outgrow that cage, but I'm a little worried about the top. It looks like a glass aquarium hood which will not allow much ventilation. Mantids in general do poorly if not well ventilated. Some type of screening would be better.

Not sure on the growth rate or molting frequency, but that mantid looks like it's only one molt away from adulthood. Mantids need vertical space to molt, but you have plenty of that.

I highly recomend the book "Praying Mantids: Keeping Aliens" available at www.angelfire.com/oh3/elytraandantenna This species is one of the many discussed and the book is packed with useful husbandry information.

Wade

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would have to agree with everything Wade had to say, and emphasize that mantids especially the Pseudocreobroter sp. need a lot of ventillation, mostly as adults, as the nymphs are much more tolerant of stuffy air.

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you both! I'll be heading to the hardware store today so I'll pick up some screen and fix the lid. :)

DanielSwan

Arachnopeon
Reply to Mantis Qs

Wolf, that's a nice lookin little bug you've got there.

Others have sufficiently answers your questions sofar, but I'd like to add that not only does your Wahlberghi need ventilation, it also requires high humidity.
It is a juggling act to balance to two. Also, I'm *VERY* surprised that a mantid that young hasn't molted in two months.

Check out my wahlberghi care sheet at: www.mantiscam.com/Mantiscaresheet-Wahlberghi.doc

Also, check out the forums over at www.mantiskingdom.com - They are very active, and you will find many knowledgeable people to answer further questions you may have. I hope to see you there, and I'm interesting in finding out how Midori has made out these last months since your original post.

Don't post a reply here, as I won't be returning to this site. There security layers to get an account are unwarranted for a pet discussion site, and are annoying exacerbated by the S L O W N E S S.

Scary

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oooh....how cute can you get? He/she's gorgeous. Lots of piccies after the moult please!!!

ahkiu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is midori a reference to midori no hibi? it's even got the same colour scheme :D