preventing burrowing

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok this applies to all burrowers but mainly I'm talking about megaphobema robustum. I have heard that if you give them a hiding place someplace secure like pvc pipe or a flower pot. and only three or four inches of substrate they will be fine and won't burrow. now I was wondering what you guys think of this. could it be happy without a burrow? now I know that I'll probably get a few people jumping on me for even asking this but hey I think that its worth asking. I know that cobalts will die without a burrow but what about M. robustum?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
now I was wondering what you guys think of this. could it be happy without a burrow? now I know that I'll probably get a few people jumping on me for even asking this but hey I think that its worth asking. I know that cobalts will die without a burrow but what about M. robustum?
I have a large female M. robustum that has a foot of dirt to dig in and doesn't. She is in a dark container though, so I imagine she sees her entire container (20 gallon size) as her burrow.

Nothing wrong with that question at all.

It is always best, though, to provide a tarantula with conditions that it would have in it's natural environment if possible. Every t has individual needs, IMO. Case in point, the female M. robustum I mentioned. She has plenty of dirt, a pvc pipe, etc. and has no desire to burrow. She's had more than adequate time to do this as well (years).

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
see I really like the look of the spider, I can get one for a great price, but I hate burrowers. I hate feeding a hole in the dirt. the spiders are cool but I want to see them.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
see I really like the look of the spider, I can get one for a great price, but I hate burrowers. I hate feeding a hole in the dirt. the spiders are cool but I want to see them.
Yes, this species is one of my personal favorites! Watch those back legs, though! They can spin around and spine you! :)

I have two specimens of this species. One is an adult female. The other is a subadult male. The subadult male spends a lot of his time in a burrow, though he is seen some of the time. The female spends ALL of her time outside of her burrow, however, I do have her in a rubbermaid (roughly 20 gallon size) that is dark blue in coloration, so no light enters except for when I open the container. I don't recommend this as a practice, though, as some light IMO is good for a tarantula. However, that could be why she refuses to burrow. I can't say really what her reaction would be if I moved her to an aquarium. Maybe I should try it and see! :)