Packing large communal species in a single container

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thought I'd take a video outlining how I do this and post it.

[YOUTUBE]vwPgSsTiEps[/YOUTUBE]

--Joe

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well done, man. Nice job. You've got some pretty good corralling skills, there.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is a very interesting packing style, i have never seen t's stacked that way..bravo

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Lmao that cup looks like something off of fear factor like "stick your hand in this deli cup for 12 minutes without pulling it out and you win a million dollars" and I like how the video is under comedy.

Is there any reason you didn't split them into two cups of 8.5 Ts each so they had a little extra padding? 17 seems like a big number for one cup that is being carried by Mr. Mailman.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What's the difference between one cup in a box or ten cups in a box? Either way, the mailman is carrying all the spiders at the same time. :}

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Lol very true but the asphalt outside your house is pretty bumpy so I figured the little buggers might need a bit more padding than uno tissue

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Lol very true but the asphalt outside your house is pretty bumpy so I figured the little buggers might need a bit more padding than uno tissue
Joe is no beginner to the hobby, or packing spiders. He knows what he is doing. Unless you have the experience he has when it comes to packing and shipping etc, there is no point questioning him about the way he is doing it. It's one thing to question if you want to learn (he has shown me how to pack, and I have questioned him about many things spider related) but the way you are questioning him is like you doubt the way he has done it.

That said, nice video Joe. As usual, you're braver than I am.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Joe is no beginner to the hobby, or packing spiders. He knows what he is doing. Unless you have the experience he has when it comes to packing and shipping etc, there is no point questioning him about the way he is doing it. It's one thing to question if you want to learn (he has shown me how to pack, and I have questioned him about many things spider related) but the way you are questioning him is like you doubt the way he has done it.

That said, nice video Joe. As usual, you're braver than I am.
Not doubting at all Joe and Becca have both blown me away with T knowledge I'm just trying to learn by asking questions and judging by his reviews he is a fantastic packer

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Heckuva job there. What amazes me is that you opened the 17-cup, and the whole batch just sat there, instead of making a run for it! Whilst I have a few Ts like that, I have to watch my three that live communally. One of them always heads up, two of them always head down when I open the lid.

Marga

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they coulda used you when they filmed Raiders of the Lost Ark's opening scene!

and dude you got nerves of steel to deal with that many massive spiders at one time.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You got a bigger set than I do! LoL! I probably would a poo'ed a pile when the first regalis got on me. Haha!

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dude, holy cow! I am amazed at how easy you made it look! Major props to you!

Drakk

Arachnosquire
Absolutely skillful and i like how gentle you are with them!
I wish i could even guess the sex so easily haha...i stare for an hour going well i think.....rofl.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Drakk - those were all just guesses. I did look at some of them ventrally before taking the video and found at least four or five that I am confident are female.

helixrose

Arachnopeon
Dude, you've got some seriously gentle hands! ;)
Now I'm going to make a few guesses here and tell me if I'm right- pressing tissue down on them, they don't perceive as an attacking grab so they won't bite back, and being pressed down is like being in a burrow so it's perfectly calming and they just go for the ride and all's good? Am I right?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I haven't asked them, so I don't know for sure. ;)

I do believe pressing down on their body in a uniform manner does help to keep them calm as opposed to reacting to something poking at them. Every time I do that though, I ask myself if this is going to be the time that they bite through the tissue and get my finger. So far, so good.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd recommend people who are new to working with Poecilotheria to not stick your hands so close to them ;]
Being bit by a regalis or any other Poec can have some nasty effects that don't just wear off over night!
-Chris

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd recommend people who are new to working with Poecilotheria to not stick your hands so close to them ;]
Being bit by a regalis or any other Poec can have some nasty effects that don't just wear off over night!
-Chris
Ah yes, I forgot to post a disclaimer. Thanks for remembering, Chris. :)