Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poecilotheria sp. - Carapace indetification

Last edited:

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Wow....this is great info.

Just curious...how many individuals was this 'tested' against?

Jeff

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Poecilotheria sp. - Carapace indetification

My Poecilotheria sp. list!

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Phalagorn

Exactly what I was curious about...and nice list indeed.
Already have your original picture printed out in color and posted to the wall.

Thanks,
Jeff

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by jcohen9999
Phalagorn

Exactly what I was curious about...and nice list indeed.
Already have your original picture printed out in color and posted to the wall.

Thanks,
Jeff

=D

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok Phalagorn, I have 2 ids for ya. the first one I thought I knew what it was and am now unsure of after your picture and the second I have been unsure of since I got it? Thanks, Greg

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bearskin10
Ok Phalagorn, I have 2 ids for ya. the first one I thought I knew what it was and am now unsure of after your picture and the second I have been unsure of since I got it? Thanks, Greg
It´s very difficult to see in your picture what it is? your Pokies looks real small, try agin when they have grown up a bit, but to be 100% sure of an Poecilotheria species you have to take a look on the ventral/underside pattern under the legs.

/Stefan "Phalagorn" Bergström...

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Phalagorn
your Pokies looks real small, try agin when they have grown up a bit
Yep, first thing I did when Jcohen posted his question was begin combing through pictures. On juveniles it didn't appear to be of any reliable accuracy. However, once they became adult sized, the patterns held even if they weren't always *that* clear cut.

It's an interesting observation and I'm glad you posted your guide where people can see and use it.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
thank you for sharing your info with us. I will save it to my computer, and test it out myself!

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Try it on this guy...

Here is a 4+" specimen. Based on this chart, which grouping do you think this is from?

Jeff

Last edited:

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
regalis?? im sure there is more to help u find out but this is just the first thing u can llook at..

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: Try it on this guy...

Here is a 4+" specimen. Based on this chart, which grouping do you think this is from?
Well, according to the chart, the best match is the formosa/regalis/striata grouping. Of course, there isn't much difference between that grouping and the fasciata/smithi/ornata/etc. grouping with the only distinguishing feature being the thickness of the dark pigmentation surrounding the pattern.

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Try it on this guy...

I´t would be either regalis or striata, take a look and the underside of the abdomen, P. regalis have a beige bellyband, but it only emerges when it grown a little bit.
I can tell you that it´s not an formosa, course formosa´s carapace it´s more faded.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
I guess I'm gonna have to get a shot of the underside because I have this as an P ornata...

Does this help?

Jeff

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yo Chip or others. Could you tell me is there anything else I should be looking for to be sure my fasciata is not a regalis. I never really cared to look before but now that she is 6" I need to know.

Eric

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Originally posted by esmoot
Yo Chip or others. Could you tell me is there anything else I should be looking for to be sure my fasciata is not a regalis. I never really cared to look before but now that she is 6" I need to know.

Eric
That's simple. Only P. regalis has the distinctive "belly band" on the anterior ventral surface of the abdomen. This "beige"/"greyish-pink"/"greyish-white" band would be about 1/2" wide in a 6" specimen. That's all you need to check, but P. regalis also has thicker black bands on the venter of the femur of both Leg I and Leg IV. P. fasciata has thin dark bands on the underside of the femur, especially on Leg IV.

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess I'm gonna have to get a shot of the underside because I have this as an P ornata...
Could you post 2 picyures of your Poecilotheria sp. both dorsal and ventral-side? (the whole body of your specimen, please)

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Re: Poecilotheria sp. - Carapace indetification

Originally posted by Phalagorn
Poecilotheria sp. - Carapace indetification
Phalagorn,

Very nice work on the chart - it is very interesting. However, including a species that has not been published yet ("hanumavilasum") is premature. It is Mr. Smith's own fault by making the proposed name public prior to publication, but the rest of us should avoid using it until it is officially published (which is supposedly going to be in the next BTS journal).

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Re: Poecilotheria sp. - Carapace indetification

Originally posted by SpiderShoppe
Phalagorn,

Very nice work on the chart - it is very interesting. However, including a species that has not been published yet ("hanumavilasum") is premature. It is Mr. Smith's own fault by making the proposed name public prior to publication, but the rest of us should avoid using it until it is officially published (which is supposedly going to be in the next BTS journal).
I can delete hanumavilasum from the carapace-id, and waith for publish. I think that hanumavilasum is synonymous with kirki/peterkirki/hillyardi, I have lots of pictures of these species on my computer and they all look the same, both the dorsal and ventral-side of the newfound species.

Last edited: