lyspudimus tarantulis question

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok in 2 weeks i am going to N. carolina to visit family..i will be doing alot of hunting for true spiders and other things..i thought i would do a web search to see if there are T's in NC, and came up with lyspudimus tarantulis, the grey tarantula...couldnt find any pics, or any other info on it...is there anyone that has even heard of this species? thanks for any info

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thanks but that really doesnt help...i can find species in the usa, but have no clue if they are from NC...i just got off the phone with a relative, and they said that there are tarantulas there...but i just did some more researching and on bugguide i read that there are no tarantulas in NC..says that east of the mississippi there isnt any, except 1 species introduced to florida...was kinda hoping to see some in the wild..oh well....thanks

This is not a tarantula. >>Check here<< for valid described species.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
thanks but that really doesnt help...i can find species in the usa, but have no clue if they are from NC...i just got off the phone with a relative, and they said that there are tarantulas there...but i just did some more researching and on bugguide i read that there are no tarantulas in NC..says that east of the mississippi there isnt any, except 1 species introduced to florida...was kinda hoping to see some in the wild..oh well....thanks
The bold is correct. Sorry I couldn't help.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey its ok man, atleast you tried..would have been awesome to see and collect T's in the wild..especially if it was ones that werent in the hobby, but i figured that if they were from NC, then they would be for sale very cheap...i guess ill have to stick to widows and lynx...thanks again

advan

oOOo
Staff member
hey its ok man, atleast you tried
LOL, I was trying to steer you towards researching a species you never heard of to see if it was actually valid or not. Sorry, I should have been more clear and told you no, there is no known Theraphosidae in North Carolina. There are plenty of great inverts and critters there though, that's where I started my interest in inverts. :D Happy hunting and don't forgot your camera and charge your batteries!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey its fine...yeah last time i was there i got a couple L. mactans, a green lynx, 5 lined skink, a hogna aspersa, and a few other things...i think this time i am maily interested in the widows, lynx, wolfies, assassins, palmetto bugs, recluse, and anything i didnt see last time...i went in november last year and it was getting pretty cold...so this time i should have more luck..and i am going to do some night hunting this time too...and i am hoping to take pics of some copperheads and rattlers, would love to have a copperhead as a pet but the ole lady wont allow it..and yeah i always take my camera, and have lots of rechargeable batteries...thanks

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thats insane...i truly dont think ill see any of those, but if i do i will get pics...would be really hard not to keep any though..once again truly doubt i see any...thanks

The bold is NOT correct... I think.

The Microhexura montivaga is a mygalomorph that lives in the mountains of North Carolina. They are endangered, however, and are the size of a BB when full grown.

http://www.americasroof.com/archives/1664

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spruce-fir_moss_spider

Pretty neat critters. :)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
The bold is NOT correct... I think.
Read this bold. ;)

It seems when I said I would make myself more clear it didn't work. Read this bold.

Sorry, I should have been more clear and told you no, there is no known Theraphosidae in North Carolina.
Microhexura montivaga is not a Theraphosidae. Cheers! -Chad

cnapple

Arachnoknight
Only tangetialy related, but I believe there are two species of tarantula that have been established in Florida. There is currently the population of B. vagans in the Ft. Pierce area and I understand there are A. avicularia established around the Naples area.