How long can they survive?

friebel

Arachnopeon
Hey, I got my B.Albopilosum, first of all he was pretty active and now he burried underground and blocked all the entrances. Anyway, I think that he's molting or something like that. How much time does it take him to molt? He's L4(4 times molted). And how long can he survive without food, because I don't want to give him food, because maybe the food could kill it or something like that :S

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's fine just leave it alone. Patience .. it maybe in there 3 weeks, it's fine .
And your second ? usually wait at least 5-7 days after a fresh molt, you will/should be able to tell .

synyster

Arachnobaron
It can last way long before eating, don't even worry.

^Also, all of the above post^

friebel

Arachnopeon
Okay, I don't want to create new thread, so I'm going to ask here, does the tarantula have hearing? Well, I mean... I'm listening to rock/metal, usually on headphones, but sometimes on speakers and I'm wondering if it doesn't damage his hearing or if this doesn't cause stress to him or something like that...?

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay, I don't want to create new thread, so I'm going to ask here, does the tarantula have hearing? Well, I mean... I'm listening to rock/metal, usually on headphones, but sometimes on speakers and I'm wondering if it doesn't damage his hearing or if this doesn't cause stress to him or something like that...?
I'm not too sure if they have 'hearing' like we do, but I'm pretty sure they can feel vibrations from sound.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
I'm not too sure if they have 'hearing' like we do, but I'm pretty sure they can feel vibrations from sound.
I believe this is correct. No ears, eardrums, etc exactly, but they will feel the vibrations through e ground

synyster

Arachnobaron
No they cannot hear sounds. Anything on a *high note* will go unnoticed. low notes have more chances to create stimuli. They react to vibrations, this meaning that depending on wat kind of vibrations are being sensed, they will react in different ways. Notice a defensive species will throw a threat pose as soon as you do maintenance but will pounce on prey, well if you were to create the same vibrations to replicate a cricket or roach, it will pounce, thinking it's feeding time.

*Depends on the volume level*

Hope this is understandable!

Also, to Synyster..I finally caught what your signature means and it made me lol.
Haha, it took you a while! ;P

But yeah, written that way, it's hardly comprehensible. I still beleive it was a hoax, but it's staying my sig anyway :biggrin:

JayMadison

Arachnosquire
I believe this is correct. No ears, eardrums, etc exactly, but they will feel the vibrations through e ground
I've heard their palps are very sensitive to vibrations, regardless if they are caused by speakers

friebel

Arachnopeon
Erm... again one question, how long will he be molting? He's L4 at the moment and he's gone for a week I think -.-

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It's difficult to say.
The actual molt itself - when he's extracting itself from it's old exoskeleton - typically takes a couple of hours or less, depending on the size of the tarantula.
Prior to this they can remain on their backs for a good portion of the day/night before actually getting started.
For the premolt leading up to it, a couple of weeks seems to be the norm, with the time being measured in months for the slow growers and really big species.
All of this is faster with slings, though exactly how fast is hard to say and dependant on many things.

You can't see at all what's going on in the burrow, can you?
If not, you will just have to wait until he re-emerges before you know it's time to feed him again. Just be sure to maintain humidity and all that until he does. With premolt, molt, and post molt hardening combined, he could be in there for a good month before he opens up for food again.

Rest assured they can survive much longer than a week without food.

friebel

Arachnopeon
You can't see at all what's going on in the burrow, can you?
If not, you will just have to wait until he re-emerges before you know it's time to feed him again. Just be sure to maintain humidity and all that until he does. With premolt, molt, and post molt hardening combined, he could be in there for a good month before he opens up for food again.
Yeah I even't can see the burrow or it's tunnels. :/ But anyway, I'll keep waiting.

friebel

Arachnopeon
So anyway, yesterday, i changed water and accidentally poured too much and didn't see it, because it was pretty darky. So anyway a little later I don't know why, but wanted to check my T and saw that the substratum pretty wet and a little muddy and the T was out(he was hiding about 1-2 weeks, because he was molting). So anyway, I tried to get some water from it, but it wasn't a big succes at the day, the substratum was like a mud, so I left it open for about 1 hour at 2 PM in my time and when I prepared new tank with new substratum for my T, I couldn't find him in that mud, so I poured all mud with(I hope) him. And I'm wonderin if he didn't drown or something like that, I mean if he's alive or maybe... he get off from the tank and now he's wandering somewhere in the room. Anyway, the tank was from plastic, I guess and if he would fall about 0,60-1 meter from windowsill to the floor because I can't see him on the windowsill. So anyway, if there's any posibility that he's alive in that "mud" or if he somehow get off from tank(i never saw him climbing on walls) and survived the fall?

Waiting for answers :/

takelondon

Arachnosquire
You may have killed your tarantula by doing this. Hopefully this will teach you a lesson about adding water to the substrate in the dark. Please make sure you do this in an area in which you will be able to see what you are doing so that you do not create a harmful environment for the tarantula.

In the event that you do, pouring all of the substrate with the tarantula inside is probably the worst thing you could have done. If you had taken the time to poke through the substrate looking for the tarantula you may have hurt it in the process, but by dumping all of the substrate out with the tarantula inside, the weight alone can kill it. Since your B. albopilosum seemed to be in pre-molt, it is also possible that he was molting while you did this, in which case it is almost surely dead. Next time if you make the mistake of adding too much water to an enclosure in which you have a burrowing tarantula that you take the time to ensure that it gets out safely before you transport it.

Third, a tarantula can survive a fall from that height, but it also can just as easily die from the fall. Not only that, but by leaving the enclosure open and unattended, you now have no idea where the tarantula is.

You need to take the time to ensure the safety of your animals, even if that means watching the enclosure while you leave it open, or picking through the substrate to remove your T before transporting it. By doing what you have already done, I find it unlikely that your tarantula is still alive. Please take better precautions next time.

- Sam

Last edited:

HighFlyer

Arachnosquire
I agree, everything you did was probably the worst possible option. If you still haven't located it by now, I would be surprised if it is still alive.