2.5 gallon quarium too big for Chromatopelma cyaneopubescen sling

Lindsie

Arachnopeon
Hey all

I just order aGBB sling and was wondering if/when I can house him/her in a 2.5 gallon aqarium? My thought was to put it on it's side so it's tall rather than long with the mesh cover as the front. The sling I ordered was suppose to be .75"+. The dimensions would be 13" tall by 6" wide and 8" deep.

Any hints or tips about keeping Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens?

Thanks

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
Keep them in a terrestrial setup (so you can lay that 2.5 back down!). You probably want to do something like a deli cup, small Tupperware, or smallest size Kritter Keeper (though even that may be somewhat big...) for now. As far as when you can move it up, play that by ear. When it outgrows it's first home, judge if it's big enough for the 2.5 or if you want an intermediate setup

HighFlyer

Arachnosquire
Save the 2.5 gallon for when it gets a little bit bigger. Like Quazgar said, house it in something much smaller, something that's about 2 or 3 times wider than the sling itself. Fill the deli cup/Tupperware about 3/4 full of substrate and keep the temperature around 80 degrees. Put some water on an area of the substrate every 4 days or so depending how fast it dries so the sling can hydrate.

Lindsie

Arachnopeon
Thanks - I gotta a few things in mind that will work for now until he/she grows.

0siris

Arachnosquire
Someone on these forums explained it to me this way a while back: take a dime, place it in the 2.5 gallon enclosure - now imagine how long it might take for your sling to find it's prey. Now think about if the sling decides to climb the enclosure, and accidentally fall. In a 2.5 gallon critter keeper filled halfway with substrate - this means that there are about 4 inches from the top of the enclosure to the substrate. For a .75" sling, that's the ratio equivalent of a 6 foot tall man falling roughly 32 feet. More than enough to cause considerable injury.

For a .75" terrestrial sling, a 2-4oz clear portion cup is more than sufficient.

linked from Greg's exotic inverts

Last edited:

JayMadison

Arachnosquire
Hey all

I just order aGBB sling and was wondering if/when I can house him/her in a 2.5 gallon aqarium? My thought was to put it on it's side so it's tall rather than long with the mesh cover as the front. The sling I ordered was suppose to be .75"+. The dimensions would be 13" tall by 6" wide and 8" deep.

Any hints or tips about keeping Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens?

Thanks
You're gonna love the sling, GBB's are dope. Save the 2.5G until it gets older.

synyster

Arachnobaron
I'd say don't go too crazy on such a small T. So I'm agreeing with the rest.

Here are some various sling enclosure ideas you can use from my T room

EDIT: Forgot to mention, front row, far left, that one used to house a 1" GBB ;)

Last edited:

vickywild

Arachnoknight
I keep my sling in a pot no different to the 2oz one. He's about 1-2cm. He's not webbing an awful lot though xD.

takelondon

Arachnosquire
I certainly agree that a 2.5 gallon is a bit large for your new little one. If you want something a bit more snazzy than a deli cup, The Container Store has some very affordable rectangular containers in their crafts section which you can drill or solder very small holes in. Also, make sure ventilation holes in any enclosure are smaller than the spiderling's carapace, or you could very well end up with a stuck or escaped spiderling!

Enjoy your new GBB, they are one of my favorite species and are a lot of fun!

-Kendra