Emperor Scorpions in the UK...

Noxocubed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was at my local petshop today picking up some food and the lady there told me they were unable to get hold of emps anymore as they're now illegal to import to the country? I don't know if she is correct so I just thought I'd share this here and see if anyone can shed some light on this?

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From what I understand the restrictions are more export based than import based, the main export countries are clamping down. I think over the coming years you can expect a push toward captive bred specimens as WC specimen prices are likely to go through the roof.

May as well drop in my emp care sheet whilst I'm here :p

www.reptileexpert.org/emperor-scorpion-care/

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very interesting, with Imps going on the CITES II list I wonder if there price will be going up at some point? personaly I prefer CB to WC, less chance of parasites and a much more accurate idea of instar and sp.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, I have three questions: What is CB? What is WC? And, what is instar?
CB=Captive born, or breed by someone in the hobby
WC=Wild caught, or was captured in the wild
instar=Which molt they are in since birth, or how many molts they have had birth=1st instar

I'm sure there are much more scientific ways to explain all of this but I'm feeling lazy and this was the easiest way I can explain them, hope it helps

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So does anybody else have confirmation that they have suspended emps from being imported in the EU, if so, why?

callum b

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Elo,
from what I have heard, exportation from Ghana, (I think, don't quote me on this lol) and/or other West African countries where they are collected, was halted. They did this to try and get a good idea of the populations of P. imperator in the areas where they are collected and to review whether collection is sustainable. I'm not sure if the 'review/ban' is over now. Not sure how accurate this is as I have only heard this through word of mouth but adult Emps have been few and far between lately.
Also, after having a little play about on Google, the EU has also put a ban on Imports of Emps from Benin for some reason?? I didn't even know they were regularly imported from there?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is potentially BIG news imo. "emps" "big news?" Yes, I think they are most popular and taken for granted in the hobby, and could be a sign of things to come. If anybody comes across any more info, please post it.

callum b

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,
yer they are definately taken for granted and for many people are considered 'disposable' pets as they were/are available on mass and for very little money. A ban, at least for a while, can only be a good thing.
Anyway, they are one of the easiest scorpions to breed and raise so we shouldn't get to worried. We should stop being lazy and get breeding them. The lack of emps available here in the UK has definately brought the price of them up. So if you put a bit of time and effort in you might actually make a little bit of money :) .

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've got a future breeding stock of 26, I think they are 2 years old now and I'm really glad I kept the brood. They came from a really big one too. I keep them in prison cell deli's, they reach to get their food through a hole lol. They have plenty of room, I have large flat round ones. btw, for people interested, I've looked into the environment movement enough to think that the conservation push really kicked in in a global way starting in 1992 when the United Nations adopted a document called Agenda 21. All nations except 2 or 3 are members, the UN has influence on all the member nations and push the Agenda 21 conservation issue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agenda_21 I know I've mentioned it before but, oh well.