Sling Limb Regeneration

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My 1" Avicularia bicegoi spiderling molted today. It had been missing a leg prior to the molt and I was expecting the limb to be regenerated. However, there is no sign of a new limb to be found. Not even a stump. In my experience, spiderlings of this size typically regenerate entire limbs with a single molt. Why no sign of a new limb this time?

-Kelly

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
Why no sign of a new limb this time?
Well, because it didn't regenerate ;)

I don't know other than to say that there does have to be enough time between the limb loss and the moult for the regeneration to take place. That's the most likely explanation.

The only other factor that I can think is that the regeneration takes place within the coxa - if that was damaged it may have needed to regenerate first (or it may not even be able). That, however, is pure speculation on my part. It may be that Ts can regenerate coxa and limb in one step but I have no reference on this.

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
On a similer subject, I have a B Boehemi that is around the 1 1/2 range. It has had a "pidgeon toed" front foot ever since it was a 1/4" sling. I thought for sure this would molt out straight but with each subsequent molt it stays crooked. I will try to get a picture of it. Not really looking for a response, just thought it was a bit odd.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
very odd Kelly...I have not had that happen with any slings of mine that have lost legs. CM's speculation is probably the best guess at this point

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Kelly,

How long prior to the molt did it lose the leg? I "believe" there is a "point of no return" where if they lose the limb after that, it won't start to regenerate until the molt following that one... Can't remember where I remember hearing that from though....

Scott

wayneo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last August when I got my C. cyaneopubescens it lost a leg the same day. About 2 weeks later it molted and it did not regenerate its missing leg until its next molt in early November. and until its latest molt the new leg had a reddish tint to it. Now after molting 2 weeks ago you can not tell the difference.

Wayne H

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Kelly,

How long prior to the molt did it lose the leg? I "believe" there is a "point of no return" where if they lose the limb after that, it won't start to regenerate until the molt following that one... Can't remember where I remember hearing that from though....

Scott

It arrived with a missing leg so I don't know when it was lost. I'll let you guys know if it regenerates on the next molt. Thanks for all the ideas! So we're pretty much agreed that it's not gone for good?

-Kelly