rehousing a OBT

darksidemxer

Arachnopeon
whats the best/safest way to rehouse a VERY defensive obt? this will be my first time doing this, i did alil search but did find much, its difficult on the phone. anyway, im open to suggestions and or demonstrations via video lol. Thanks.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depends what size ? First go to a sealed off room to prevent angry escape, preferably a bathroom.
I shall not assume but if it is a slng/juvie -place the old container in the new one and close em in.
Otherwise I try to put a cup over them and then a piece of plastic (say tupperware lid) to close it in . Do whats due and place it back in . Dump it or butt bumps which ev.

zorora

Arachnopeon
I can't tell you the best but I'll tell you what worked for me...
Ideally, you can fit the old enclosure inside the new enclosure and let the T come out on its own then carefully remove the old enclosure. Considering the species you may have to do some coaxing to get the OBT out of its home.
I wasn't really able to use that method though. I had to take extreme caution to prevent escapes as I have two small children(and a wife) and could not just have a wandering OBT hiding in my kids bed. I would take the old, new, a catch cup, long tongs, and a paint brush into the bathroom and set everything into the tub. I then taped up the gaps in the door and the drains. You can then make your attempt at a successful, bite free, transfer to its new home. I would open the old container and coax it out or even just onto the top, and it may be possible to get the T to climb right into the new one but if not use the catch cup to aid with getting it in. There's no sure fire way, you'll really have to just gather all the info you can and give it your best shot. This is probably the sissy way to do it and some people with more experience will be able to just make it work in a matter of seconds but as far as myself and from the sounds of it, you too, will use adventures like this to gain more experience.
Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

Edit: skar pretty much summed mine up while I was typing, sounds like I'm not the only one using the tub.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just take the forceps of giant ness, and grab and twist its web making an OBT capture blanket and lift it to the next container.

Or I just nudge them gently.. to the specific direction of the container.

darksidemxer

Arachnopeon
i figured i would try the cup idea as it seems the best lol. his web got messed up, idk what he did but i woke up and it was torn down lol. Im not really rehousing him, just moving him while i clean out his cage, the previous owner used to mist him daily and the cage has water spots everywhere, left over molts and dead crickets/worms...its driving me nutz so i need to clean it. i was just curious if some1 was going to tell me more about this "plastic bag" idea lol. im not sure how it was ment to be used but id be scared to use it, i watched dahmer *my obt* cut a super worm in half last night. also hes about 3 inches or so

0siris

Arachnosquire
Hobo came up with an interesting way to transfer defensive T's...the link is in my signature :)

darksidemxer

Arachnopeon
thanks. im going to read that in a sec. well i just grew a pair and did it lol i did the cup method successfuly....i have 1 pissed off obt though...he is doing laps looking to bite something. im alil upset that even with water and scrubbing the hard water spots wouldnt all come off....any ideas for that, that are spider friendly

Reptiliatus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For me when it comes to my OBT'S I "escape proof" my bathroom and do transfers for the quick species in the bathtub :). Obviously make sure your bathtub is closed off, have a nice pair of tongs for maneuvering, a catch cup if things go south, etc. I haven't had any problems with this method yet. I find generally if they want to bolt, they'll run laps in the bathtub a few times before they climb up the side of it.

Just how I do it! Work's for me when I'm rehousing Pokies, and other fasties.

Dayyan

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks. im going to read that in a sec. well i just grew a pair and did it lol i did the cup method successfuly....i have 1 pissed off obt though...he is doing laps looking to bite something. im alil upset that even with water and scrubbing the hard water spots wouldnt all come off....any ideas for that, that are spider friendly
Yay it worked.
As for the hard h20 on the container . . you can Try clr (calcium,lime,rust remover) and re rinse really really good ! Make sure there are no remnants of said agent/s and your gold. hopefully . . .

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Glad you managed. The cup works fine for some. For my OBTs, pokies and fast Ts, I use Hobo's bag method. I have two or three large clear bags in the "supply drawer". I have used them for one-inch slings up to 5" big nasties. Works much better - have had only one incident of the T climbing up the tongs and my arm - where upon the catch cup was employed.

Marga

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
use the sac, bag method. It works very well, and there is no chance of excape. Did both my OBT and Pokie, no problems and very quick.