Possible New Species - Australia

Webless

Arachnopeon
Hey guys.

I recently descovered a new Species In the Selenotholus Group.
It's been given a Temp name
Selenotholus Conapaira. J.Austin 2010
s.conapaira.jpg

Shes about 13 cm ( 5.1 inches ) Currently, we only have 2 specimens Right now so we are unsure of their total size.
She is Extreamly Defencive, and Strugulates ( Hisses VERY loudly ) Continuously when the tank is open

Enjoy!

Jace..

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Congrats on the find. Im curious to know what the difference is from other Selenotholus? In fact I dont even know how to tell apart Selenotholus from Selenotypus? :? I've had Selenotypus sp. Nebo and Selenotholus sp. Woodstock over the last few years, but unfortunately they didn't do well in my collection. Id love to see more of them in the US, but with the exception of 2 (awesome ;) breeders working with Selenocosmia/Phlogius , I don't know of anyone working with the desert Aussie T's, and think they will prob go extinct in the hobby over here.

Later, Tom

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
She is Extreamly Defencive, and Strugulates
I have never heard of a tarantula "strugulating"... are we sure she's not just being extremely defensive and stridulating?

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
Congrats on the find. Im curious to know what the difference is from other Selenotholus? In fact I dont even know how to tell apart Selenotholus from Selenotypus? :? I've had Selenotypus sp. Nebo and Selenotholus sp. Woodstock over the last few years, but unfortunately they didn't do well in my collection. Id love to see more of them in the US, but with the exception of 2 (awesome ;) breeders working with Selenocosmia/Phlogius , I don't know of anyone working with the desert Aussie T's, and think they will prob go extinct in the hobby over here.

Later, Tom
As far as i'm aware its no different to Selenotholus stirlingi but has been labeled a new species due to locality by a less than knowledgeable dealer

Webless

Arachnopeon
As far as i'm aware its no different to Selenotholus stirlingi but has been labeled a new species due to locality by a less than knowledgeable dealer
now now.. Thats not very nice hornet, Don't attack me just because of your issues on the AIF, Leave me out of your problems. At the time i was told that it was a new species due to S. stirlingi was not known to be in that location. Greg and Steve will be looking at this species once we have more individuals. Thus far only 3 have been found due to terrible flooding and chest high grass where they are found.

Originally we assumed they were S. Kotzmans but were told otherwise.. Should have named the Post " Possible New species"

And since people get touchy about miss spellings etc .. "stridulating" is the correct spelling, i put the post up when i was time limited and made that mistake.. My bad.