walking stick - tarantula prey?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I did some search but found nothing on combining a walking stick with a T. Would it be dangerous at all to the T? There are some walking sticks at a pet store near by and they are very inexpensive, and slow moving (so as not to stress her out like a mouse), but larger than a cricket. I therefore thought that my T Blondi might like to eat it??? (she likes live pinkies and there are none available right now) Crix are too small and she won't go after them, same as super worms.

Last edited:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I cant think of anything that the sticks posses to harm your tarantula so I guess it would be okay but probably should wait on someone else to post

St0n3y

Arachnopeon
I don’t really see a problem, apart from the fact that stick insects are, well like sticks with no meat. Maybe you would be better off feeding your tarantula large cockroaches?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would ask the pet store but...
Yes, I am hoping there are further psots. The only thing I have found thus far is that they emit an odor when threatened. I wonderif this odor is dangerous to t's?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by St0n3y
I don’t really see a problem, apart from the fact that stick insects are, well like sticks with no meat. Maybe you would be better off feeding your tarantula large cockroaches?
I would like to but have been unable to locate a source for them.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It depends on the species. Some are equipped with an array of sharp spines that they use to stab a would-be attacker, sharp enough to break a persons skin. This could be a problem for a tarantula! Also, some species are capable of squirting defensive chemicals that may or may not be harmful. If you can find out the species, I could offer better advice.

If you are considering rearing them as feeders, Id say they're a poor choice. Stick insects have a long incubation time (around 6 months) for most species. Cockroaches are a better choice.

Wade

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wasn't planning on rearing them, just wanted to buy one to see how it would do for my T Blondi. I will call and find out the species.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade
It depends on the species. Some are equipped with an array of sharp spines that they use to stab a would-be attacker, sharp enough to break a persons skin. This could be a problem for a tarantula! Also, some species are capable of squirting defensive chemicals that may or may not be harmful. If you can find out the species, I could offer better advice.

Wade
Of course, I called and they don;t really know. All she said was she "thinks" it is an Austrailian species, and that she doesn't think it has chemicals or sharp spines. She did say they are easy to handle and that they have sticky pads on thier feet.
Does this help at all?

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Seems like walking sticks would be expensive compared to anoles or something like that, considering the amount of 'meat' in both items

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Malkavian
Seems like walking sticks would be expensive compared to anoles or something like that, considering the amount of 'meat' in both items
Walking sticks are $10.00 and anoles are $14.99, and I have thought about getting one of those as well - but $15.00? That's more than I spend taking the kids to McDonalds!

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:eek: holy crap. Green anoles? 15 bucks? Wow. They're like 7 here, i think.

Edit: Then again, mice are a buck seventy five. I know which one i'd be going with.

Edit again: Remembered you're in Canada. 15CAD is something like 11USD right? That's still expensive for a lizard. OTOH, they live wild down here in the south so there's not much demand

Last edited:

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was thinking of rearing green anoles as a food source but the petshops want $8 up here(Ohio). Too bad I can't find any much cheaper like $1.50per for 10 or so. I think all the ones in the petshop are wc anyway from the southern u.s.
Steve

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The price differences are interesting between two very similar countrys (similar in way of consumer goods and demand)
Can an anole injure a T?

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by sheri
The price differences are interesting between two very similar countrys (similar in way of consumer goods and demand)
Can an anole injure a T?

Depends what size T you're talking about. I think a mature blondi could get one no problem

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do the stick insects have a large thick abdomen that's held curled over the body? This is likley Extatosoma tiaratum, a common species in captivity.

Those unfamilliar with stick insects may think they're all thin, twig-like animals, but not E. tiaratum. An adult female is as thick as an index finger and probably close to the mass of an adult mouse! A nice meal for a big spider.

Personally, I'd never be able to use such a fantastic and interesting insect as a feeder, but then, I'm more into insects lately anyway. Other than that, I don't think there'd be any harm to the spider.

The differnce between anole prices simply refelects the fact that green anoles are native and common in the southeast US. Taking them accross international boarders invariably results in higher prices. I've seen them for $2 at reptile shows.

Wade

Last edited:

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wade: i was thinking that probably even someone in canada could get them cheaper from perhaps a wholesaler, in the same way one might get crickets or mice in bulk

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I myself would have trouble feeding a stick insect or a mantis to a tarantula. The ones we have in America, I've handled lots of them and never noticed any smell. The ones they have in the
Eastern Carrribean are huge. We had stick insects and lots
of anoles where I lived in North Carolina. They came in the
house along with the wolf spiders and Palmeto bugs and ate the flies and stuff like that. If you lived there you could catch them often and feed them for free. My brother raises these and they reproduce easy he says. They are pretty smart and would be hard for a tarantula to be able to catch since they are so quick and immediately aware that there is a large spider in the tank when you put one in there.

Sharon

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Has anyone tried feeding small fish to their tarantula?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have to admit I hadn't given much thought to the walking stick.
I will consider it some more before I go ahead. I am having a real problem feeding this blondi and just trying to come up with some workable options.