New Article: Private Herp Keepers & Conservation

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Interesting article, Frank. I've always been curious why pros don't mix with the amateur ranks more often, esp. considering lack of funding, man hours, sheer number of threatened species, etc. Now we're seeing more bioblitzes & folks locals being involved in monitoring programs. Programs like these are incredible:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009421766_inmatefrogs06m.html

But, I wonder: why just inmates? Not to detract from what they're doing, but I can think of many other individuals with more qualified experience that aren't in prison and that could eclipse their success. Hell, there are a couple species that I would love to cultivate in my back yard; species that had historically large numbers locally & that I've never seen here.

Butterfly farming, native plants...the list goes on & all done by amateurs.

I'm also going to anticipate that someone holding an expensive degree will come along and prosetylize about all the variables that we as amateurs don't understand and the potential harm we could do. To that I would say...more harm than releasing bio-controls en masse from outside of native ranges? More harm then introducing game fish where there weren't any before, thereby compromising pre-existing wildlife?

I'm ranting, lol. Anyways, not attempting to bash the educated. I would just like to see more common ground between dedicated hobbyists & professionals. That's all.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Agreed. Professional just means you got a degree. Nothing more. That you went to school.