Came home to a sweet surprise

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow! Are those all still in with mom? You're gonna have fun getting them all out...lol. That's awsome

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not to nit-pick,but that does not look like A.metallica to me. I just pulled a sack from one of our females,and unless that pic is just really bad yours seems to have reddish setae on the abdomen?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like Avicularia sp. or a hybrid of sorts to me. The pics do not look like A.metallica at all IMHO.A.metallica have NO reddish setae on the abdomen.That spider does.Got apic of the male by chance? Nice looking spider,and congrats on slings,but now it is time to decide what to do with the offspring because again,IMHO,those should not be sold as A.metallica.Not being a jerk,but the there are too many mixed up Avicularia out there.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Looks like Avicularia sp. or a hybrid of sorts to me. The pics do not look like A.metallica at all IMHO.A.metallica have NO reddish setae on the abdomen.That spider does.Got apic of the male by chance? Nice looking spider,and congrats on slings,but now it is time to decide what to do with the offspring because again,IMHO,those should not be sold as A.metallica.Not being a jerk,but the there are too many mixed up Avicularia out there.
THIS
I have always been told the same thing. The A met that I had had NO red setae on his abdomen at all...all white. I think juvies will have some red setae, but as they mature it will turn to all white. (or so I have been told)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Remember? ;)

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I've heard from more than one source that there is probably not a true A. metallica in the hobby anymore, but that there is a spider that "is called A. metallica". I had one that was ID'd as such. In the right lighting, his rump looked reddish.
Many photos of him on his own page at http://www.shadowscastle.net/topshelfavic.html.

Did both parent spiders look the same? Are the A. metallicas the only ones with white-tipped hairs?

Marga

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard from more than one source that there is probably not a true A. metallica in the hobby anymore, but that there is a spider that "is called A. metallica". I had one that was ID'd as such. In the right lighting, his rump looked reddish.
Many photos of him on his own page at http://www.shadowscastle.net/topshelfavic.html.

Did both parent spiders look the same? Are the A. metallicas the only ones with white-tipped hairs?

Marga
There are tons of Avicularia with whiteish tipped setae( or however it is spelled)Bicegoi,or pretty much anything in the urticans complex is a good example. I have an AF purpurea that has white tipped setae as well(yes it really is purpurea,not peru purple)Surely some or their ranges overlap,leading to hybridization in the wild,and you get mutty whitish tipped avicularia that just cannot be ID'd.Then people take these and breed them,and it just adds to the mess that is the genus Avicularia.

---------- Post added 09-27-2011 at 10:36 AM ----------

Remember is a link. Click it!
Gotcha ;)
Grabbing some coffee so I am more attentive as well ;)I looked at that link,and I see no A.metallica in sight.The male looked like A.avicularia IMHO.

Last edited: