Ornithoctonus aureotibialis?

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
Before, I bought 2 Ornithoctonus aureotibialis specimens. One of which looks like a genuine Ornithoctonus aureotibialis, while the other as seen below. I was able to sex this specimen as a definite male via exuvium and i thought that Ornithoctonus aureotibialis were dimorphic as juveniles. Turns out only when a tarantula is a MM will it look completely different from the female. I had the opportunity to see the other specimen's ventral shot and it screamed male to me. He's 2" and the same size as my other specimen but by this time I thought that he would have already gotten the same colors as my other specimen. Problem is I don't think he is a Ornithoctonus aureotibialis because he lacks the dark color found medially at at its legs. He simply looks like a gold tarantula;he lacks dark marks of a Ornithoctonus aureotibialis. What is he? :o_O:

IMG_1023.jpg IMG_1018.jpg IMG_1020.jpg IMG_1021.jpg

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I went back and checked out the pics of my little aureotibialis slings, they were light but not like this one. I don't know what dealings you had but perhaps H. schmidti? It seems to have the little cheliceral 'stache the schmidti group Haplos are known for beginning to form. My C. schioedtei juvie has it too so I'm not sure how useful that is....

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
Mystery T

I went back and checked out the pics of my little aureotibialis slings, they were light but not like this one. I don't know what dealings you had but perhaps H. schmidti? It seems to have the little cheliceral 'stache the schmidti group Haplos are known for beginning to form. My C. schioedtei juvie has it too so I'm not sure how useful that is....
It's definitely helpful, at least I know he ain't no O. aureotibialis. :laugh: I never thought I'd have a mystery T :giggle:

I've checked out the Haplopelma schmidti (Gold), and it really might be what my mystery T is :)

Last edited: