Hi..i have a question about my FireLeg Millipede..

BlizZeYerD

Arachnopeon
Hi i'm from Philippines, and i have a question..i can see 4 tiny beetle like in my fireleg millipede..um, i dont know what is it..but at my first impression its a tick..cause it is like a tick of dogs..but as i zoomed the picture..its not a tick for me..cause it has like hairy thingy in there legs..so im guessing it is her babies??hehe..and oh, another thing, i dont know how to distinguish the sex..can someone help me??i have some pics but i dont know if it is clear already for identifying genders...here are some pics..hope i can get some good replies...

Baby fireleg.jpg Baby fireleg3.jpg IMG_1219.jpg IMG_1249.jpg Baby fireleg5.jpg

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
That's neat, none of our captive bred specimens have commensal mites unfortunately.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Trigoniulus macropygus?

E&A, have you seen commensal mites on many species you have raised or is it relatively rare?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Except for the AGB mite they're rather rare and when you captive breed the millipedes you usually lose the mites.

BlizZeYerD

Arachnopeon
They're mites, and that's a male.
um, thanks!!i never think this is a mite..lol..now i know..

---------- Post added 10-11-2011 at 03:47 PM ----------

That's neat, none of our captive bred specimens have commensal mites unfortunately.
Except for the AGB mite they're rather rare and when you captive breed the millipedes you usually lose the mites.
thanks!!i searched it from net and ur right..hehe..but what u mean its NEAT??
and yeah, i lose 3 out of 4 mites..hehe..only 1 left..this mites are RARE??
is this ok for the millipede??but for me, i think its ok, cause in wild millipedes always want to be in decomposing plant material and prefer dark and damp places, so mites is always there..
any advice?

---------- Post added 10-11-2011 at 03:48 PM ----------

are those mites beneficial?
thats one of my question too..is these mites have something use for millipede?

---------- Post added 10-11-2011 at 03:49 PM ----------

Some excellant close-ups, Bliz!

And to piggy back on this, how can you tell? (How to ID beneficials vs parasitic?)
Thanks pavel!!
ur question is my question too... :D

GUYS!!thanks again...

---------- Post added 10-11-2011 at 03:51 PM ----------

Trigoniulus macropygus?

E&A, have you seen commensal mites on many species you have raised or is it relatively rare?
Yes ur right.. T. macropygus..

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Commensal means that one creature gets something out of the relationship while the other doesn't, but isn't harmed.

The only ones I'm familiar with move quite fast and are specific to Archispirostreptus gigas. Couldn't say for sure about the ones on your millipede.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wait!, I can speak broken English, I really think it might help. Mite good for millipede and millipede good for mite. You should keep mites for millipede. Mite and millipede help each other, it good thing! "neat" mean "cool", "special". Nice millipede you have! Neat(cool) mite also.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes, i'm starting to gain an appreciation for millipedes. they are only cool to watch when you have a decent colony of them.

Last edited:

Rex740

Arachnopeon
Those types of mites are always helpful. They keep the pede healthy and clean. I used to think they don't make much of a difference but a friend of mine who wholesales millipedes noticed that the shipments of millipedes with mites end up living a bit longer than the ones without mites.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those types of mites are always helpful. They keep the pede healthy and clean. I used to think they don't make much of a difference but a friend of mine who wholesales millipedes noticed that the shipments of millipedes with mites end up living a bit longer than the ones without mites.
that's very helpful information. I've read that fast moving mites are the good mites and the slow ones are the bad ones. at least that's what i've read anyway... so don't quote me on it.

Rex740

Arachnopeon
The main difference is that the beneficial ones are the reddish/brown ones and the harmful ones are smaller and white.

BlizZeYerD

Arachnopeon
oh damn!!!now no mites already in my pede.. :( sorry for that...but thanks guys!!i appreciated it so much..but i guess E&A is right when you captive breed the millipedes you usually lose the mites.