ID Confirmation - My first ever scorpion find - found in Turkey

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Went out with a UV light for the first time last night (after spending 2 days flipping rocks in the day light and finding nothing but tonnes of 'orrible giant centipedes and milipedes) and after about 20 minutes prowling I found this. Apologies for the poor photo, it was just shot in auto mode and the lighting wasn't great.

Anyway, I'm thinking its a Mesobuthus gibbosus, admittedly a slightly battered one, could anybody give me any confirmation on this?

Dan

Kaiser Scorpion

Arachnosquire
Hello!

I think that this is Mesobuthus gibbosus, as you say.
There are two species reported from this genus in west Turkey: M. gibbosus and M. eupeus.
I have both species and your scorpion doesen't seem a M. eupeus.
In which province did you find it?
Do you live in Turkey?

Last edited:

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey,

Nah I don't live in Turkey, just on holiday there and taking the opportunity to go hunting :)

The scorp in question was found close to Didim, if that sheds any light on what species it might be :)

Any ideas what other scorpions I might find in the area? I notice there are a few medically significant species in Turkey and I'm not sure how much I fancy stumbling across one of them :)

Kaiser Scorpion

Arachnosquire
Didim is in the west coast of Turkey.
In the east part and inland there are also M. nigrocintus (I never see it) and probably M. caucasicus (I have it).
Your scorpion doesen't seem M. caucasicus.
M. nigrocitnus has slender pedipalps and it does not live in Didim.

In west coast of Turkey you can find some intersting scorpions as Iurus spp (I have also it) and Chalcas spp.
If you find a Chalcas sp., please conctat me.
There are also Euscorpius spp.
Other genus as Leiurus, Compsobuthus, Androctonus and Scorpio are probably only in the south and east part of Turkey.

If you are intersting, there are a lot of good articles in internet about genus Mesobuthus and some about envenomation.
M. eupeus and M. gibbosus are of medical importance but probably not deadly.
Leiurus quinqeustriatus and Androctonus crassicauda are very dangerous.