Goliath

thines68

Arachnopeon
I have a Goliath that I purchased about four months ago. She was ravenous when I got her and I think I might have overdone the feeding. I fed her two mice a week for several months and her abdomen grew exponentially. Now, for about a month, she's stopped eating. I understand they can go quite a while without eating, but when should I become worried? I am going to scale back the feeding once she starts eating again.

Anybody done this before?

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Two mice a week!? That's insane. How big is she?

Mice are usually frowned upon as a feeder because of a whole mess of problems (it's been suggested they can lead to molting issues). Ease up on feeding her. She does not need to eat nearly as much as you are providing. Also switch to something less...controversial. Crickets, dubia roaches, things like that.

As for her current behavior, she's probably in premolt. Leave her be, and just make sure she has fresh water.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I hope the mice were at least f/t....

like Verneph said it's probably premolt pics would help

A Simple Thief

Arachnopeon
i"m sorry. Two mice a week? Are you sure that it's not obese? According my handy dandy Tarantula Keeper's Guide (It's my tarantula bible) it says that you should scale back on the food until it gets back to it's original size. Because that it a ridiculous amount of food. Or if it is going into pre-molt stop feed it and see if any other signs emerge.

synyster

Arachnobaron
I fed her two mice a week for several months and her abdomen grew exponentially.
:o_O:

Have you ever tried eating two horses a week? You'll become fat too...

And you shouldn't feed mice. At least not like that...

As for her current behavior, she's probably in premolt. Leave her be, and just make sure she has fresh water.
I wouldn't bet a paycheck on the spider having a flawless molt here. Hence even thriving until that stage.

thines68

Arachnopeon
She won't even acknowledge Dubias. Her abdomen is close to the size of my palm (very large female). I haven't tried crickets, but I think she's going to require larger prey items. I was going to try the large hissing cockroaches, but I haven't yet. I've never posted pics, but I'll try when I get my camera back. Thanks for all the help.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't bet a paycheck on the spider having a flawless molt here. Hence even thriving until that stage.
I'm inclined to agree, but what else is he supposed to do? The spider's refusing food. That sounds like premolt to me (or the inability to ingest another mouse, which I can easily believe).

She won't even acknowledge Dubias. Her abdomen is close to the size of my palm (very large female). I haven't tried crickets, but I think she's going to require larger prey items. I was going to try the large hissing cockroaches, but I haven't yet. I've never posted pics, but I'll try when I get my camera back. Thanks for all the help.
I wouldn't try anything right now if you've been feeding her so much. Larger cockroaches might work, but like I said she's probably in premolt.

jim777

Arachnosquire
OP, out of curiosity, did you get a scientific name when you got the T or was it simply marked as "Goliath"?

synyster

Arachnobaron
I'm inclined to agree, but what else is he supposed to do? The spider's refusing food. That sounds like premolt to me (or the inability to ingest another mouse, which I can easily believe).
There's nothing to do, of course. But the reason I said this, is that I don't really expect that the specimen is being kept in optimal (even passable) conditions. I'm pretty sure research has not been done properly, and we all know that Theraphosa's (assuming it is) are a fragile genus.

OP, out of curiosity, did you get a scientific name when you got the T or was it simply marked as "Goliath"?
Like I just posted, I'm guessing it is a WC Theraphosa stirmi but yeah, come to think about it, how many spiders are sold in pet shops under the name goliath:eek:oh:

She won't even acknowledge Dubias. Her abdomen is close to the size of my palm (very large female). I haven't tried crickets, but I think she's going to require larger prey items.
Of course, if you tried roaches after so many mice, she won't eat them since she's already packed. Large crickets do fine.

Your spider should never go bigger (her abdomen) than this one. This is a 9" Theraphosa blondi and it's on crickets and superworms.

Last edited:

thines68

Arachnopeon
"There's nothing to do, of course. But the reason I said this, is that I don't really expect that the specimen is being kept in optimal (even passable) conditions. I'm pretty sure research has not been done properly, and we all know that Theraphosa's (assuming it is) are a fragile genus."

Theraphosa Blondi. She's being kept in a ten gallon aquarium with a heat mat on the rear side. Approx. 82 degrees in the day. Humidty is 80 percent. I mist daily and have a digital gauge. Substrate is a mix of coconut husk, vermiculite, and soil. Five inches of substrate.

PS: Her abdomen looks similar to the one pictured above.

synyster

Arachnobaron
A minimum of 90% humidity is a must for this genus. I'm sure you can let go of the heat mat, and sub seems ok. Btw, the picture taken above was when she had a "blockage problem" and hadn't pooped in months. The picture is to the extreme IMO...

But I do have a question: How come you almost knew all the proper housing, but didn't know to stay away from mice, hence feeding it 2 a week?

thines68

Arachnopeon
I got carried away. I also had a friend that wholesaled arachnids years ago. He occasionally fed mice. Also, I have the Tarantula Keeper's Guide, which says that large Goliaths get accustomed to larger prey items and most likely feed on vertebrates, lizards, and frogs regularly.

I didn't start her on mice. She refused roaches and crickets but seemed ravenous when I fed the mice.

Why would I let go of the heat mat? The room where she is housed is usually 69 degrees. Would you keep one this cool?

synyster

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't necessarily keep it cool, but weall know that the higher the temperature, the lower the humidity. Keeping accurate humidity at all times for this genus is best acheived below 78 IME.

I won't tell you what to do or not to do though. You will learn, like we all did. But I would recommend learning with an easier and more hardy specimen...

Could you possibly post a picture? It would help alot and could also give you a positive ID (I still doubt that it's Theraphosa blondi)

A Simple Thief

Arachnopeon
I'd just like to say that I still think that it's obese. And also maybe it just needs to stop eating for a while.

thines68

Arachnopeon
"I won't tell you what to do or not to do though. You will learn, like we all did. But I would recommend learning with an easier and more hardy specimen..."

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that this was my first Tarantula. I've kept many others including L. Parahybana and several Baboons. This is my first T. Blondi.

Spiders 006.jpg Spiders 002.jpg

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Well, someone has been pigging out!

She looks decent, considering how much you've been feeding her. I'm not too familiar with T. blondi's, but her abdomen looks really "premolty" to me, but I could be wrong on that.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, someone has been pigging out!

She looks decent, considering how much you've been feeding her. I'm not too familiar with T. blondi's, but her abdomen looks really "premolty" to me, but I could be wrong on that.
I'm curious why you say it looks like premolt?

Verneph

Arachnosquire
I'm curious why you say it looks like premolt?
The coloration and the rough patches on her abdomen mainly, but like I said I'm not too familiar with this species. I know those bald spots are caused by throwing hairs. I could be completely wrong, I'm just voicing my opinion. Someone who has actual experience with the species could probably shed more accurate light on this.

I already suspected premolt initially because she isn't eating, which is a pretty common sign of a T in premolt.