P. Regalis Colony

awjensen467

Arachnopeon
I'm considering doing a P. Regalis colony. Has anyone ever done one? And if so, do you have any suggestions?

The enclosure I'm considering using is 13 deep x 18 high x 20 long. Is that big enough for 4 T's?

---------- Post added 10-18-2011 at 07:32 PM ----------

I will most likely start out with a smaller enclosure because the T's I'm thinking about getting are .75" - 1"

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
..remember when Indiana Jones had all the brachy sp. on him in Raiders....ya dont wanna have that happen with your P. regalis colony :)

I know nothing of your experience levels, but giver a go....keep us posted on your results....im sure you will figure it out as you go along

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
look up rob Cs communal caresheets on arachnophiles before you consider it watch all his vids:biggrin:
Robs the Man when it comes to communal Ts he knows a lot

regardless its too big of a gamble for me too low on cash$$$ you could try it !!good luck
they gotta be well fed

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive had a number of Poecilotheria colonies, with numbers up to 25, and still have the following:
P. striata (x15), P. subfusca (x5, x5), P. miranda (x3, x4) plus a few that are now reduced to x2.

Ive found success with P. striata, P. regalis, P. pederseni, P. rufilata, P. miranda, P. subfusca, however, Ive also lost amounts too. The only major failure Ive had was with P. ornata (x4, x4) but I also had success with them too (x4).

If you can't accept any losses then dont do it, there's no guarantee its going to work and the tendancy is to think that any losses are down to cannibalism rather than illness, and of course we have to remember the strongest survive argument.

One important thing to consider, are you comfortable with removing adult males from your community? because the liklihood is that will present itself so you'll need to get a bit hands on with them in order to separate, unless you have a cunning plan. :)

My experience of getting it to work is making sure all inhabitants live communally, not scattered over a large area or within multiple hides.
Feed more food items than individuals, therefore on communities of 10 I'd probably put 12-15 items in.

Be prepared for rehousing, and use as much of the original furnishings, webbing etc as possible to help direct them to their new hide.

Don't keep pokies too wet, dry is better and make sure you don't keep montane species too hot.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What, in your opinion, constitutes more experience?
You should start out by keeping some Poecilotheria first (separate of course). Then after you have got used to the care and temperament, make sure you've done your research, then try a communal.

Also, keep in mind what the other posters have mentioned.

Remember, this is just my suggestion. ;) That's also how I would do it.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Have you kept a speedy spider yet? Try out a handful of them Poecilotheria, Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius. Get use to their care and speed. You also need to rehouse them a few times to know what to expect. Some are perfect angels and some are problematic. It helps to brush up on your reflexes to catch a break for freedom. You also have to be some what comfortable around them just in case they decide to handle you. Test the waters first before diving right in with a communal. Dealing with an adult Poecilotheria regalis is a lot different than dealing with an adult Grammostola rosea, let alone a whole heap of them. I believe Chris just wants what many of us want and that's what's best for you and the spiders. Good luck and as Levi said keep us updated!

Last edited:

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 5 slings living together right now, and they are actually my first pokies. I enjoy a challenge, so it wasn't a hard decision. I feed them twice a week, and I love watching them run all over each other. Make sure they have enough room and somewhere to hide on, and enjoy the show!

synyster

Arachnobaron
Have you kept a speedy spider yet? Try out a handful of them Poecilotheria, Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius. Get use to there care and speed. You also need to rehouse them a few times to know what to expect. Some are perfect angels and some are problematic. It helps to brush up on your reflexes to catch a break for freedom. You also have to be some what comfortable around them just in case they decide to handle you. Test the waters first before diving right in with a communal. Dealing with an adult Poecilotheria regalis is a lot different than dealing with an adult Grammostola rosea, let one a whole heap of them. I believe Chris just wants what many of us want and that's what's best for you and the spiders. Good luck and as Levi said keep us updated!
Really well said. And that's exactly what Chris meant by "gaining experience". Pokies are a different game, and knowing NW terrestrials will never prepare you enough for an OW arboreal, hence a communal. I suggest getting used with Psalmpoeus cambridgei. They will give you a good idea of speed, size and defensiveness. Good luck!

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
These guys know their stuff. I would go with an Avic, then perhaps test the Poeci waters with a P.regalis in it's own container. Learning their habits will help alot. They're not evil, just alot different than NW terrestrials. Watching RobC's vids will help alot.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These guys know their stuff. I would go with an Avic, then perhaps test the Poeci waters with a P.regalis in it's own container. Learning their habits will help alot. They're not evil, just alot different than NW terrestrials. Watching RobC's vids will help alot.
Just for clarification, Avics are not communal. Wasn't sure if you were suggesting doing a colony of them or just suggesting it for his first arboreal. So just in case ;)

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
Oh no, not suggesting a communal of any T. Some may be able to live communally, but i'd never do it, nor recommend it.

jim777

Arachnosquire
There's a lot of 'watchRobC's vids' in theis thread, is there a link somewhere for us link challenged folks? :)