G. rosea molt?

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I think my G. rosea might be molting. I didn't see him (I think it's a boy) eat his latest cockroach though it's quite possible that he ate it when I wasn't looking. If I do look in there and see him on his back is there anything special I need to do during that time?

I have never had a tarantula molt before.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Don't do anything, just leave it be and don't disturb it. Enjoy, it's pretty cool to watch. :)

Depending on it's size, give it a week or 2 to harden up before feeding after.

jim777

Arachnosquire
Wouldn't hurt to take another look for that roach and make sure it is out of his tank if he goes into molt. You don't want anything in that tank besides the rosea if it's molting.

Shell

Staff member
Wouldn't hurt to take another look for that roach and make sure it is out of his tank if he goes into molt. You don't want anything in that tank besides the rosea if it's molting.
Definitely a good idea. I had a cricket evade me once, and didn't notice it until my smith had already flipped. I was able to get it out without disturbing the spider at all, but definitely a good idea to remove the roach BEFORE the spider starts molting.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I think it might have been eaten because I found a few food boluses (that's what they're called I think) in there but I'm not sure. I'll check anyway.

Shell

Staff member
Yep, they're called boluses. Just have a look to be safe. Otherwise, nothing to do, just make sure the spider has access to water. A water dish if it's large enough, or a small portion of dampened substrate for a sling.