Queensland Goliath Phlogiellus Sp. "Goliath"

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Reported up to 9.5-10" I have heard a range of sizes but has anyone actually seen one that is this size?

I just picked up a couple of slings and they are leggy but super tiny (1.5cm)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I have no idea about the size, sorry.

But I would like to ask this, where did you buy them from?

I love Aussie species and would love to get some.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I think you mean Phlogius, although they are still technically Selenocosmia.
Later, Tom

VenomousFangs

Arachnopeon
Queensland Goliath grow big 28-30cm I think, that's on my shopping list and I got a selenocosmia "sarina" sling 1.5cm which will grow to same sort of size I hope, but yeah they are beasts so good choice even tho I haven't yet seen a full grown adult if you give it a mixture of foods that should help with reaching good sizes as I believe that just feeding only crickets is not good for any T.
Hope that helps

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
The size reached is going to be dependent on genetic factors rather than diet although a poorly fed spider will take longer to reach full adult size & might not make it at all if it is unhealthy. 30cm is at the top end of the range. Try Australian invert forums to see full size adults...I know I've seen some true beasts among them before.

AussieT

Arachnopeon
G'day guys,

Its true that the Phlogius sp. goliath does have the potential to reach 10", maybe more. However, they have only been in the hobby here in Oz for only a few years and the only spiders sold to hobbyists were slings. In saying that, I have a few young goliaths purchased 10 months ago and already my females are between 5-6". The Qld museum has what is known as the "100 year old specimen" collected and brought in around 1906, and this preserved specimen as well as another preserved specimen is as large as the largest Therophosa's, around 10" and very chunky. What is interesting is the fact that wild males are around 8", however in captivity, when power fed will mature at quite small sizes (5-6") but these may successfully be mated with even the largest goliath females. Power feeding triggers an early maturity response in males that enables the species to survive droughts and wet seasons. Steve Nunn whom I am sure is well known overseas for his work on Theraphosids, has a few young female goliaths that are as large as his largest Phlogius Crassipes, at around 9", so at this stage we don't know what the maximum is as the '100 year old specimen' had met an untimely end but I am betting it will most likely surprise many keepers all over the world (in my opinion between 10-11" is a possibility). Once we know for sure I will post it on this forum though it may be a few years off yet, for the moment though sizes of 9" are guaranteed. But like many T's, they can be bred successfully at much smaller sizes (6").

In regards to Phlogius sp. 'Sarina', these guys will get to a hefty 8"+ and are also quite chunky beasts. Phlogius Crassipes has the potential to exceed 9" as does the Phlogius Strenuus.

hope this helps.