A Good Visable Tarantula Species?

Spydr

Arachnopeon
ok, i've have (Avicularia avicularia) pink toed, (Gramastola rosea) chilean rose hair, and (Pterinochilus murinus) usumbara orange baboon.
i haven't had a t for years now, i want one that won't burrow, or hide in a web sac. my usumbara was in an "arboreal" (3 inches off the ground) web cocoon at the top of the tank all the time. i'd like something different, not another rose hair, but something i will see everytime i look in the enclosure. multiple species if you can, in case i can't find one you mention.
thanks in advance!

boxofsorrows

Arachnopeon
+1 for the geniculata, love mine with her long hoopy hockey socks, just happily sits out waiting to nail any food that arrives.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
heres a list of what IVE OWNED and currently own that are always visible : L. parahybana, G. rosea, A. geniculata, B. albopilosum, G. pulchripes.

Spydr

Arachnopeon
GBB? i am typing more because it won't let me send a short message.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
GBB, A. geniculata or G. pulchripes would be my top picks. It depends I guess on what exactly you want in a spider aside from visibility. Size, colors, terrestrial or arboreal etc.

darksidemxer

Arachnopeon
my greenbottle blue is always out and about and her web is set up so i can still see her. shes really a inquisitive one compared to my obt.

Spydr

Arachnopeon
GBB, A. geniculata or G. pulchripes would be my top picks. It depends I guess on what exactly you want in a spider aside from visibility. Size, colors, terrestrial or arboreal etc.
terrestrial, since i find arboreal less then visible. also what is this GBB everyone keeps listing?

---------- Post added 11-07-2011 at 04:02 PM ----------

my greenbottle blue is always out and about and her web is set up so i can still see her. shes really a inquisitive one compared to my obt.
yeah, always wanted one of those. but with my usumbara's cocoon, i'm leery about anything that makes a sac, i fear i'll never see it.

---------- Post added 11-07-2011 at 04:04 PM ----------

ah, i googled it. it seems GBB is green bottle blue. ha ha. had no idea. i'm used to it all typed out.

Shell

Staff member
terrestrial, since i find arboreal less then visible. also what is this GBB everyone keeps listing?

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, awesome spiders. Beautiful, web tons, voracious eaters, out on display a lot.

jim777

Arachnosquire
Yet another GBB vote. :) Like Shell said, they are out a lot, waiting for food to drop in ;)

synyster

Arachnobaron
Agreed. Always out, to the point that I don't even give mine hides since they just web over it...

Shell

Staff member
Agreed. Always out, to the point that I don't even give mine hides since they just web over it...
Same with mine. No hides for mine, it only webs them up and sits on top of them....

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My regularly visible Ts include: GBB, B. boehmei, B. smithi, B. verdezi, E. pulcherimaklaasi, G. pulchra (now that he has some growth...), and one of my M. balfouri is always visible, the other one is always burrowed.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. boehmei and B. smithi are always out. They have hides but completely ignore them for some reason or other. In my (limited) experience, any terrestrial that is at least 1.5" in size is a sure bet that they start to feel secure and are less likely to seek shelter.

Spydr

Arachnopeon
i'm thinking a gbb or a L. parahybana. if only the gbb didn't have so much webbing. or if only there were some patterns or colors on the L. parahybana. hell even a striking jet black would be nice.

---------- Post added 11-08-2011 at 12:17 AM ----------

and since i think i'll choose Lasiodora parahybana, it now comes down to price. the tiny not even 1 inch ones online are ridiculously priced for a spider i've read is easily bred. also i want one a bit bigger as i've never raised a sling and don't want to risk it's health.

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
my p. metallica is ALWAYS out. i think it only goes in behind its hide when it catches a meal, then right back out.

Shell

Staff member
What is it about the GBB's webbing you don't like? They tend to sit out on top of the webbing, so they are almost always easily visible and the webbing is really interesting.

Also, L. parahybana slings shouldn't be expensive, I only paid $5 for mine. They are also easy to raise from slings (so are GBBs) so nothing to worry about, getting one smaller.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My most visible in order is my A. francki, P. pulcher, Avicularia sp., P. regalis, first 2 are always out. P. pulcher will sometimes run to her hide when disturbed, but other then that shes out. really cool spider, love her !