G. rosea Bad Molt

TMatt

Arachnopeon
I have a G. rosea which I've never had any problems with. My best guess of her age is 14+ years. Her last molt was around 3 months ago, but she did not completely shed her prosoma (head) and part of her back leg. She seems mostly unaffected but I'm worried about her next molt.

Even though these spiders do not come from a naturally humid climate, would raising the humidity beyond normal help? Any other suggestions?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
not that id imagine? molting is mostly affected by their INTERNAL humidity/moisture levels rather than the levels in their enclosure, as far as i know of. its worth a shot, however remember to pay attention to the ts behavior as its common knowledge a rosie prefers it dry

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would raise the humidity there are lots of ways to do it without making the whole tank wet. One way I've used in the past is to put smll pebles at the bottom of the tank then put soil on top of that. The rocks form an area that the water will not be absorbed into right away. I then just pour the water into the corner of the tank butit and spread around the bottom of the tank without being absorbed. Heads up your tank will become much harder to pick up with the extra weight. But if your G. rosea is 14 years old she may be getting a little old and it may become harder to molt. I've only had good results when raising external humidity before a molt so I see no down side here. I've had Ts get stck in molts and as I put them in ICUs that were damp they were able to wiggle their wa out of being stuck to again I only see an up side here

TMatt

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies. Im going to try the rock suggestion and hope for the best with the next molt.