Dolomedes male activity?

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From mid summer leading up to about a month or so ago I've been collecting a bunch of D. tenebrosus in my area.. right now I have about 15 juveniles and some of the larger ones are starting to molt into adults. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there were like "peak times" to collect males, since I've never seen a wild one, and so far all the adults that we've kept have emerged as females... I figure with this many at least ONE should turn out to be a male... right? :confused: Earlier this year the same thing happened to me with Micrathena, too... I only ever saw one M. gracilis male at the verrrry beginning of the season, and for the rest of the summer all I saw were females.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well not long ago i started finding them too....never seen them before, then all of a sudden started finding them...i caught a adult female and MM at the same time, paired them and got 3 fertile sacs...now i have almost adult female, 1 younger female, and a sling out of one of the sacs...not sure if there is a certain time to catch the males....i found them in my Dad's garage..and i just seen 2 more molts the other day....very cool spiders..

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mid-summer through early fall is a great time frame to collect male spiders from many different families and genera. Of 15 juvie spiders, pretty good odds you have a male in the mix.