Creating decor

Torrid

Arachnopeon
So, I haven't gotten my T's yet, as I'd like to get everything set up first..I'm going to build the terrarium from scratch, got no problems there as, but I'm wondering what type of materials should be used for decor: backdrop, hides, etc. I hear some people use the arts&craft green planter foam, and I also hear styrofoam. I just want something easy to work with that isn't going to harm a T, so any materials you've used I'd love to know about :biggrin:

Aside from the base material, I'd also like to know if hot glue guns are acceptible for little things where silicone isn't needed.

And one last question; for any fake plants, should the reptile/aquarium plants be strictly used, or are craft plants etc okay?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'd just be really pissed with myself if I used something toxic :x

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
as far as the backdrops and foam, i have never used...except the backdrops that come with exo terra terrariums..but i would say if you use green planter foam to make sure it is the durable kind, not the powder kind that is super soft. I have used hot glue for many things, just make sure to let it dry and air out good. As far as fake plants, i always use the craft plants, mainly the fake potho vines. they are very good in all terrariums...

Torrid

Arachnopeon
Awesome! I was a bit worried about craft plants being toxic since pet store plants have hardly any options..not much of it appeals to me.

Totally forgot to put this in the first post-- if I -do- make a background from a foam or whatever, what kind of paint is safe for use?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah the hoby plants work perfectly, and the pet store plants are horrible on selection....im not really sure about paint...might not be a good idea..maybe use hot glue or silicone, and put coco fiber, or plastic leaves or something else all over the background...and what type of T, and size is it?

Torrid

Arachnopeon
One will be a b. smithi and one will be an l. para, both will be under 3". I had originally planned on doing what you mentioned with the moss and leaves and what not but figured I'd ask about paint anyways. I know lizards are okay with it but arachnids might have other reactions to it.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well personally your best bet would be just to use deli cups for now...then maybe once they get large enough for a permanent home, you can do something a little more creative...i just keep mine in large sterilite tubs with a water bowl ,hide, a little bit of plastic potho vine on the ground and enough coco to the right height...bout it..

Torrid

Arachnopeon
Oh no, I know, I plan to keep them in smaller containers till they grow ^^ but I'd feel a lot better having their permanent homes set up when the time comes.