exothermea magazine?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I ran across this mag on ebay. the cover has "NEW SPECIES OF POECILOTHERIA" on it... is this a real magazine that I didn't know about. is it all about tarantulas? does anyone else have these? if not I will let you know what they are like because I got it. it should be here soon

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh I forgot to add... what about the ats forum magazine? it says you get a year subscription but are they monthly? so you get twelve a year... is it worth the price... I'm sure it is but just checking to see if anyone else has these mags

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

BTW, you can buy two issues at www.ms-reptilien.de >>click here<< and >>click here<< for 8,60 EUR each.

see also:
  • SMITH, A. M. (1996): A review of the taxonomic revision work undertaken by Philip Charpentier in the Magazine Exothermae between the years 1993-96. British Tarantula Society Journal 12(2): 54-58.

all the best,
Martin

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
zoobooksales.com has 'em for cheaper. You can get Charpentier's notes on Avics as well as the Poecilotheria/Stromatopelma one.

They've got good info, but they are quite dated.

-Garrick

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
oh I forgot to add... what about the ats forum magazine? it says you get a year subscription but are they monthly? so you get twelve a year... is it worth the price... I'm sure it is but just checking to see if anyone else has these mags
The ATS forum is one benefit of being a member of the American Tarantula Society. It is not a stand-alone "magazine".

The ATS works for all of us American tarantula (and other inverts) keepers. So, how come you're not a member?!? ;P

Please support the ATS.

PS - The annual conference in Carlsbad in June is a blast.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Originally posted by Martin H.

see also:
  • SMITH, A. M. (1996): A review of the taxonomic revision work undertaken by Philip Charpentier in the Magazine Exothermae between the years 1993-96. British Tarantula Society Journal 12(2): 54-58.

all the best,
Martin

I sure would love if someone would email me a copy of the above (or sell me a copy of that issue). I don't have it and it's too old to get from the site.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by monantony
I believe the forum is every three months now..Anyone?
T
Yep, used to be bimonthly, last year they switched.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I bought that Poecilotheria mag off of EBAY, I found it to be great read . I think it was published in the late 90's, but im not sure , cuase i dont have it handy. Some of the info might be dated, but a great read either way. Its got some great info on Stromatopelma's also. They have the "new" spiecies listed as P. pococki, although I thought that might be hanumavilasum now, but i realy dont know. Looking at the pics in this mag i would of guessed that it was a subfusca.
Tom

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
I second Philth's review. I have them both and they are pretty good but way out of date.

Jeff

Last edited:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Originally posted by Philth

Some of the info might be dated, but a great read either way. Its got some great info on Stromatopelma's also. They have the "new" spiecies listed as P. pococki, although I thought that might be hanumavilasum now, but i realy dont know. Looking at the pics in this mag i would of guessed that it was a subfusca.
according to SMITH (1996) "... P. pococki is a junior synonymy of P. smithi."

source:
all the best,
Martin

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I just received the Poecilotheria and Avicularia issues of Exothermae (e-bay rocks!) and was wondering about Mr. Charpentier's writings. I take EVERYTHING I read with a grain of salt, are his writings accurate?

One Avicularia species was listed as inhabiting Southern California, in the San Diego area. We have none local that I know of!

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nope. 'Tis an Aphonopelma in Cali that Charpentier mentions.
It's out of date, and a lot of revisions have been done since he made those magazines, but it's a good read if for nothing more than the way he points out the error of calling some Avicularia "species" based on juveniles, no locality data, etc. Too bad it seems Tesmoingt and Brandle and Bauer didn't get a copy of it before they went wild with Avic "descriptions" in the mid 1990's, though.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

MizM said:
I just received the Poecilotheria and Avicularia issues of Exothermae (e-bay rocks!) and was wondering about Mr. Charpentier's writings. I take EVERYTHING I read with a grain of salt, are his writings accurate?
BTW, there are some comments by Andrew SMITH about the Exothermae Magazine:
all the best,
Martin

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Thank you Martin! Are those available online?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i recently bought 2 issues of this magazine from spider-shoppe(the avicularia issue and the pokie one)
but i was wondering how many more of these were put out?i know there old and out of print but id like to hunt down more of these.