S. subspinipes-which species on average grows the largest?

A1will

Arachnopeon
New to the scene, been studying on care of pedes for a while now, and feel like I am sufficiently knowledgeable to care for one, whith out harming it. I am looking to buy something relatively cheap, but that grows big ( seeing that gigantea and galapagoensis are what drove me to this hobby) From what I've read the various S. subspinipes species sound like what I'm looking for. I'm having a difficult pinning down which species is a mix of two things. A) Common/Cheapest B) Grows the largest. If anyone could tell me/ talk to me about this I would greatly appreciate it ;) Thanks for your help

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the vietnamese centipede is the one that you're looking for. They are cheaper because they are commonly imported.

The S. subspinipes dehaani from Myanmar is the asian that can grow very big. someone posted a picture of one that was around 12"-13" if i remember correctly, but it's not available in the U.S. market.

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Malaysian giants get quite big too(around 9"),and chunky,gotta love their girth :p

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Malaysian giants get quite big too(around 9"),and chunky,gotta love their girth :p
i actually had a couple of those a while back. they died on me at around 8". i believe that it was due to old age.

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
About the S. subspinipes dehaani from Myanmar,are they the rusty red ones with red tipped yellow legs?like this one

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

coldvaper

Arachnosquire
I have a subspinipes dehaani Vietnam, and its pretty big. Also carries a lot of girth, I would recommend it, I love it.

Also that pede above looks awesome. How big is it? Are they not commonly imported or not allowed to be imported into the states?

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This specimen and another were from north Thailand,around Chiang Mai.I've seen the Malaysian type at a pet store before,they're more to a olive colour,except for the head which is still red

---------- Post added 11-21-2011 at 01:32 PM ----------

I have a subspinipes dehaani Vietnam, and its pretty big. Also carries a lot of girth, I would recommend it, I love it.

Also that pede above looks awesome. How big is it?
around 9inches,got it when it was 8inches

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i actually had a couple of those a while back. they died on me at around 8". i believe that it was due to old age.
yeah, i had them too,same deal w/the passing on.

---------- Post added 11-21-2011 at 09:38 AM ----------

About the S. subspinipes dehaani from Myanmar,are they the rusty red ones with red tipped yellow legs?like this one
oh, yeah these aswell,back then,they were very hardy,man i would love to get more.........................

A1will

Arachnopeon
Can anyone point me to a reputable dealer/seller that might carry the Vietnamese? Seems like most of the ones I saw here mostly carried US species.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got mine from LLLreptile when they first came in. i went into their store and i noticed that they had theirs on a heat mat, but it was pretty dry. i told them to spray some water in there and all the pedes immediately began to drink. I was very hesitant to get some, but decided to get some anyway because the price was right. anyway, i bought mine in person and was able to pick out the healthy ones that i wanted. a friend of mine had his shipped to him. the centipede died on him after a few days. mine are alive and doing well.

A1will

Arachnopeon
I'm in metrodetroit area, currently poking around on here trying to find something local. But a reputable online seller would work also.

---------- Post added 11-21-2011 at 09:38 PM ----------

Anyone know of either?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you can't get the S. subspinipes, then i would just go with the S. alternans (Haitian giant or florida keys) Sam Floyd has some florida keys for sale. if you want his contact, then let me know.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I got mine at a LPS here in Spokane for $20. She has grown about 1.4" in my care.

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm in metrodetroit area, currently poking around on here trying to find something local. But a reputable online seller would work also.

Unless you are in some dire hurry, go to the Taylor herp show next month. Always seem to see some there.

A1will

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the advice pavel, I am new to the metro detroit area, and had just heard about the taylor show and was planning on going. That it a relief to hear that.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
This specimen and another were from north Thailand,around Chiang Mai.I've seen the Malaysian type at a pet store before,they're more to a olive colour,except for the head which is still red
Thanks for the geographical info, CHLee. By the time the imports get here and a convenient sales name is added it's hard to figure out where they may have come from. I couldn't tell you how many different names I've seen for the same damn centipede. I'll assume from now on that "Thai red tip" = "Myanmar giant".

sk12457

Arachnopeon

def.JPG abc.JPG

I have different types of De haanis,,(Vietnamese, Chinese, Malaysian,,) but Myanmar is the largest, here is some pictures.

Last edited:

EMWhite

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, i had them too,same deal w/the passing on.

Same story for me with the initial pair I had. Though, in my experience, these animals *must* be kept cooler. High 60's to low to mid 70's *max* and damp (though periodic drier spells do not seem to have lasting ill effects). Otherwise they last about 4 months or so and are then die unexpectedly. (Same story with several other types of Malaysian/Chinese pedes it seems.)

The initial two I kept in the low 80's and lost after a handful of months. Then I got three more and kept them cooler and still have two of them 1.5-2 years later. The third died because I let the enclosure get too dry. (Still have yours Jason!) I've been told by a few people who own larger pedes sp, and who got them as adults, that they've had them for upwards of 5-7 years sometimes, so I think "adult" size may not always indicate much as to age.

These don't seem to be commonly available at this point, and, from what I've seen, imports tend to be hit and miss (which, I realize, is nothing new). I got a pair from KenTheBugGuy a few months ago (which, I think may have been the most recent import of them??? Not sure) and they died within a week. I found out afterword that a dab of panacur (which is a broad-spectrum rx anti parasitic drug usually for dogs/cats/reptiles etc etc etc, and is very safe) on a cricket and fed to imports sometimes lessens the mortality rate. Which was not something I'd have ever thought of myself...

They do get up into the 9" range with relative frequency from what I've seen. I assume these "Malaysian Giants"/"Flame Legs" are the same as the massive ones there are photos of on this thread. Though I haven't seen any that big in person, one of the ones I had was a solid 9" and a little less than an inch wide. I'm hugely hesitant to accept 12"+ measurements on pedes of any sort (I admit I'm bias that way), but the photos on here seem indicative of very large sizes for this particular animal. 9" anyway, when the pede is stocky, is a very large animal.

It'd be nice to see these imported again... :/ I'm with you all there, for sure. They are gorgeous animals. One of mine just molted a few weeks ago and really has the *bright* leg tips now. :D

-Evan

---------- Post added 12-03-2011 at 08:35 AM ----------

*Now that I re-read some of the earlier messages, I do notice that color difference. Some of the "Malaysian Giants" I've seen in person are olive-ish in color, and some are a much more maroon/red color. So the thought is that Malaysian local= olive and Myanmar= Red? Really interesting...