best looking pamphobeteus?female?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I was considerigng getting pamphobeteus antinous... JEt Black & Huge
but wanted to know what the best looking Species in the pamphobeteus genus are!!!!

post pics & your opinions!! thanks!!!:biggrin:
All the males are Awsome looking.. but thats obvious !!!

Last edited:

Grin

Arachnoknight
It's hard to choose >.<
i'd go with p. nigricolor or P. ultramarinus

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nigricolor is the first one that pops into my mind but there is A LOT of beautiful sp. in this genus

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'm refreshing this thread because I'm now wondering the same thing. Best female pampho, anyone?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
The clear winner. But, most of us can't afford them at this point.
Poec, do you know anything about Pamphobeteus sp. "Duran"? That was the one I was looking at, but I don't know if only the male shows the beautiful red coloring or not. Here is the photo that got me interested.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Poec, do you know anything about Pamphobeteus sp. "Duran"? That was the one I was looking at, but I don't know if only the male shows the beautiful red coloring or not. Here is the photo that got me interested.
Not up on all the new Pamphos, but the one in the pic has the usual young Pampho color and markings. Many species have purple/pink lines radiating on the carapace and a 'Christmas tree' pattern on the abdomen that they lose when they're still small. I have some P. platyomma slings that had those colors (2nd or 3rd instar), but they've molted twice since then and on the last molt went from a very distinct Christmas tree to absolutely no abdominal markings at all. Gone, just like that. A lot of people wish they'd keep the sling colors and markings. Still a great genus. They're big, leggy, lively, and always hungry.

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Ahhh, I see. So it's a young Pampho trait most likely. I want to procure some sort of Pamphobeteus next to dip my toes in the faster tarantula water, so to speak. Doing my research on them now to decide what would be best for me. I do love the incredible colors, but that's not the most important aspect for me. I don't know if there is one specific species that is a hell-raiser compared to the others, or if they're all about the same. But I definitely don't want to pick out the most defensive one right off the bat.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Ahhh, I see. So it's a young Pampho trait most likely. I want to procure some sort of Pamphobeteus next to dip my toes in the faster tarantula water, so to speak. Doing my research on them now to decide what would be best for me. I do love the incredible colors, but that's not the most important aspect for me. I don't know if there is one specific species that is a hell-raiser compared to the others, or if they're all about the same. But I definitely don't want to pick out the most defensive one right off the bat.

Definitely a young Pampho color/marking trait. Pamphos are a good genus once you've gotten comfortable with the beginner species. Easy to keep, hardy, & fast-growing; a little quick and sometimes feisty, but easy to control. Nothing like an OBT. In my experience of half a dozen Pampho species, antinous is the most wired. Cool spider.

If you like Pamphos, you'll also like Phormictopus, as they're a lot like a Caribbean version of Pamphos. Females look similar, and mature males likewise are highly colored and gorgeous.

Both genera deserve to be more common in the hobby.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Definitely a young Pampho color/marking trait. Pamphos are a good genus once you've gotten comfortable with the beginner species. Easy to keep, hardy, & fast-growing; a little quick and sometimes feisty, but easy to control. Nothing like an OBT. In my experience of half a dozen Pampho species, antinous is the most wired. Cool spider.

If you like Pamphos, you'll also like Phormictopus, as they're a lot like a Caribbean version of Pamphos. Females look similar, and mature males likewise are highly colored and gorgeous.

Both genera deserve to be more common in the hobby.
Cool, thank you very much for that information. I talked to cold blood about it, and he gave me a lot of good information on husbandry and such. I'll take your suggestions into account when I finally make a Pampho purchase, and I'll look at the Phormictopus genus too.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I just measured my platyomma that just shed and completely lost their 'Christmas trees.' They're slightly over 3". I got them earlier this summer, and they were half that size. Another good ting about that genus. And Phormictopus too; I got some 1/2" 2nd instar P cancerides a couple months ago, that have since shed twice. Seems like they have 2 or 3 good meals and they're molting again.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I just measured my platyomma that just shed and completely lost their 'Christmas trees.' They're slightly over 3". I got them earlier this summer, and they were half that size. Another good ting about that genus. And Phormictopus too; I got some 1/2" 2nd instar P cancerides a couple months ago, that have since shed twice. Seems like they have 2 or 3 good meals and they're molting again.
That's exactly what cold blood said, that they are molting fiends! He also mentioned that they have wild feeding responses, which is a big part of the T allure to me. I do enjoy watching a predator do what they do best.

Perhaps if I get a sling now, I'll have a sizable christmas tree by December...

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The thing that intrigues me about the female pamphos are the subtle highlights in pink or purple or blue that pop against the dark velvety black or brown in most species. In case you can't tell, I plan on buying a bunch.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
The thing that intrigues me about the female pamphos are the subtle highlights in pink or purple or blue that pop against the dark velvety black or brown in most species. In case you can't tell, I plan on buying a bunch.
well if u get any sub adult male P antinous or P Plattyomma hit me up :)Although my females got a few inches til fully mature.

Last edited:

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Im sorry but Im refreshing this thread. Im considering one as my next target. Also some ultramarinus females turn a boring brown as others have pointed.

What about P. sp. costa?

sasker

Arachnoprince
I like my P. sp Mascara very. She has pink satae on her abdomen, a light brown carapace with contrasting black femurs and lighter tibia/tarsi. Perhaps they are not as 'bling-bling' as P. ultramanus, but IMO they are among the most attractive Pamphos available.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
P.antinous females are by far the most attractive IMO. Jet black with a beautiful red abdomen. They start off brown/greyish like most slings and the colour starts to set in around the 2-3" mark. They grow incredibly fast as well, got mine in June and she's molted three times since. Reminds me of Theraphosa only much better looking. Check out my beautiful female.

Attachments