Humidity question......

shaunspider

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know how I would be able to keep the humidity in my pokie tanks high without keeping their peat very wet.
How do you guys manage this??

I have found that my tanks get mites a lot faster if the T's peat is wet (for the humidity), which Im not very fond of.

This is my P. fasciata
IMG-20111016-00334.jpg

Shaun

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could spray the sides of the enclosure, but the T might try to climb on them and slip. You could also mist the lid or the web and whatever else is in the tank other than the bedding.

VenomousFangs

Arachnopeon
It's all about getting the ventalation right, misting is useless and if done incorrectly which it often is annoys the T. refer to the tarantula keepers guide on humidity for a overview

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i just keep a large waterdish, and mist the substrate on one side...sometimes i will pour a little water in the sub, but not that often.....i havent had any problems with any of them...

mmfh

Arachnobaron
I keep my peat dry and just use a large water dish. I have a live plant in my enclosure which I water once a week with a syringe. I also mist once a week, I spray the plant. I have my T in a petco garden terranium. At first there was too much ventilation .... I ended up covering the top and using laminating sheets, 2 sheets on each of the ventilated sides. ( these are small, sticky sheets for covering cards like ss cards.) So far in the last month my humidity has never dropped below 70% and usually fluctuates between 70 -75%. I'm satisfied with that humidity but i'm sure if I misted more often I could keep the humidity higher.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
I keep plants, block of 2/3 of the top and mist the sides at the plants and under the decors. Seems to work well for my T. The plants and decoration(pieces of wood) will trap the humidity. I also have a water bowl.