questions questions questions

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have a few questions that i would appreciate some help on... ok

1. i have an a. seemani that's about an inch in size, she just molted a week ago or so.. i put her in a mini kritter keeper which she escaped out of but i cought her on the wall.. i used window screen to keep her in.. so she made a burrow all the way to the bottom.. it was like that for a day or so and now i checked and she sealed off the entrance to her burrow.. should i leave her in there? how do i feed?

2. i have a c. marshalli and another a. seemani about 1.25" and their both on a lot of peat but neither are burrowing and the baboon isn't webbing much like in the vial it was in.. my a. seemani constantly made burrows before now that it's in a kritter keeper ut won't burrow.. why is this? do they need time???

3. i have now 6 a. avics who i believe are 2nd or 3rd instar... they all refuse food and their adbomen is tiiiiiinnny... what should i do? is that normal? should i wait? i have 3 in little vials with moist (not too moist) vermiculite and fake plastic leaves to climb on and 3 in a communal with the same stuff just a bit bigger.. they all seem to be doing fine other then that.

4. my a. versicolor is in a vial too and i was wondering should i keep his humidity higher then a. avics? like spray once a day?

5. i have a PZB who's 1/8" in size and i was wondering how you guys keep and feed them? i have tons of just born pinheads at all times but my problem is that i keep him in a litttle deli cup thing the size of those paper things that mcdonalds has to put your ketchup in.. i put a lllllliiiiittttle bit of peat moss in there, about 1/8" or less.. just a thin layer and it's always burrowing.. you can barely even see it's burrow.. should i do something or let it be?

i have an idea of what to do with these problems but i'd like to see if anyone has a better solution.. thanks ahead of time..

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
All IMO -

1. Probably stressed, perhaps because of the container size. I put several B. Vagans and a B. Albo into small KKs when they were about 1" - it took them several weeks before they were comfortable in the container....then they started hanging in the open. Follow protocol of putting prey in, and removing after a day or two if not eaten. Since it just molted, you probably don't have to observe the strict 24 hour guideline.

2. Yup! You got it. The small guys take a while to adjust to a bigger container.

3. I'm not sure how the communal thing would affect their feeding, but could be a stressor. Try different prey (half mealworms?). If that doesn't work, try the FOOD ICU (separating would be necessary). Keep giving them lots of water.

4. Versis need circulation above all. I wouldn't worry THAT much about the moisture, cause stagnant, humid air has killed them.

5. Burrowing is natural....I'd try feeding the little guy cut up mealworms (my personal staple food for smaller slings) - they'll take dead prey that small, plus, the cricket could be stressing it.

All just ideas ;)

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by abstract
All IMO -

1. Probably stressed, perhaps because of the container size. I put several B. Vagans and a B. Albo into small KKs when they were about 1" - it took them several weeks before they were comfortable in the container....then they started hanging in the open. Follow protocol of putting prey in, and removing after a day or two if not eaten. Since it just molted, you probably don't have to observe the strict 24 hour guideline.

2. Yup! You got it. The small guys take a while to adjust to a bigger container.

3. I'm not sure how the communal thing would affect their feeding, but could be a stressor. Try different prey (half mealworms?). If that doesn't work, try the FOOD ICU (separating would be necessary). Keep giving them lots of water.

4. Versis need circulation above all. I wouldn't worry THAT much about the moisture, cause stagnant, humid air has killed them.

5. Burrowing is natural....I'd try feeding the little guy cut up mealworms (my personal staple food for smaller slings) - they'll take dead prey that small, plus, the cricket could be stressing it.

All just ideas ;)
thanx abstract! the versi has pretty much half its vials surface with pure air holes and the lid too..

any other ideas on feeding the a. avics though?

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Also IMO,
I have a Marshalli also (adult) who didn't want to burrow, but seemed stressed out. I made a burrow for it out of a jar with a tube going up to the surface of the substrate, and now I never see it anymore. I don't know that I'd bother with all this w/ a little sling though. (?)
About your slings that don't eat...I ran into that trouble a couple times and found that mine were just plain chicken of little crickets. And I mean LITTLE crickets. I can't imagine this happening often, but I tried killing the crickets and sure enough, after a night or two, they slurped it down to the shell. Maybe give that a try.