Why so curled up?

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just bought what looks like a A. seemani yesterday. He doesn't look like he is doing good??? He's all curled up and dosen't move much. He's not dead, because when I touched him with a plastic spoon, he moved a little.

Since last night, he crawled about 5" from his hide that I made for him... over to the water dish and has the one leg soaking in there.

The G. rosea in the tank next to the A.seemani is happier than a clam (the G. rosea is munching on a cricket in the pic)

I really wish I knew what do do to help this guy out... maybe this is normal behavior... just don't want this to be the "death curl"... can anyone identify?

I just set up this dual tank last night. You can see more about my A. seemani problems from last night HERE

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Hmmm. Kinda tough to tell. From the intial looks of it, it's just a bit stressed and in a protective state. I would keep in a quiet place for a while, where there aren't many vibrations and noises. I would also wait a week or so after that to try to feed. IMO, let him rest quietly to get secure.

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
EDIT AGAIN: actually if you just bought it yesterday give it a day or two before taking evasive action..

i think it might be the substrate.. it may be killing him slowly.. if i where you then i would IMMEDIATLY change the substrate to peat moss or potting soil with no additives or chemicals in it.. try that for a day or so and if that doesn't work put it in an ICU! if not i'd watch him CLOSELY as some t's don't die in a death curl! if you put him in an ICU, which is a small CLEAN container with a clean humid paper towel, NOT WET! i'd put it in a warm dark place away from noises etc....

EDIT: that is peat moss isn't it? take out all that repti bark wood stuff and put him in an ICU while he's in it chacnge the substrate to new, fresh, peat moss and wash everything clean with hot water..

Last edited:

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I just put him in this new setup last night... It is a 50/50 mix of potting soil and peat moss. I'll post pics of what I got. hopefully its okay... I got most all of that bark chips out that the pet shop had him on. Only a few chips in there.

Wolfgang (G. rosea) really like the new substrate and has been busy today eating crix!

Pinstripe (A. seemani) however is the T in question.

Here is the Potting soil: Miracle-Gro moisture Control potting mix.

Ingredients: this product is formulated from 50-60% sphagnum peat moss, coconut husk fibers (coir pith), composted bark fines, perlite, a wetting agent, and fertilizer (see below)

Total nitrogen...... 0.18%
0.09% ammoniacal nitrogen
0.09% nitrate nitrogen
Available phosphate...... 0.10%
Soluble potash...............0.10%

Derived from: ammonium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, calcium phosphate, and potassium sulfate.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I could be way off base but I would think it's bad news to use anything thats got fertilizer in it...

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think the soil should be chemical free...such as black top soil...

Regards, Mike :?

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would not use that soil for my Ts. I would just use the peat moss. If you have any you could add some vermiculite. Greg

xanderTluv

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That potting soil is treated! Not a good idea at all! Miracle Grow is a very potent plant fertilizer! I use straight peat! Have for years.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i asked about tat a while ago!!!! do not use miricle grow!!! the fertilizers can be bad for ur T removes it now!! u can really just use the peat moss it dosen't reallly matter

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
take it off that IMMEDIATLY unless you want a dead T.. good luck and i hope it makes it!

put it in an ICU for a bit!

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay I will change the substrate to just peat moss ONLY.

I put Wolfgang and Pinstripe in kritter keepers for now while I change it out....

I don't know what an Intensive Care Unit look like for a T, but do you think this should suffice? It has brand new peat moss and a full water dish. That isn't mold you see at the bottom... its just humidity. I just did this 15 minutes ago.

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
another look...

Note: I am going to be keeping him in the 1/2 bathroom upstairs with the light off for 12 hours or so.... to keep him in a dark/quiet place. I will not be using that bathroom during that time, so he can relax. (I will use the downstairs bathroom)

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And I moved wolfgang to this one here.... till I remove all the potting soil from the terrarium.

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
organic anything for tarantulas no chemicals i use organic peat and vermiculite usually a icu is a deli cup thats what i have used.

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
Didnt you read what i posted to you in the other thread i even showed you pics peat/vermiculite is the way to go.Keeps the humidity up and is all round great

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've had my seemani since june and it still scrunches up like that. i wouldn't worry about it at all. its probably just chilling out.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Yeah, stay away from any type of potting soil, peat, etc that has been treated with anything. Miracle Grow is heavy in the nitrogen dept and this actually will burn plants in large amounts and it surely is 100% better for your Ts to be off the stuff.

Shoot, I don't even use Miracle Grow for my plants as I tend to stick to the high phosphate side for improved rooting and flowering