Received my Jerusalem Cricket from BugsInCyberspace (Review)

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Received my Jerusalem Cricket.

Some people asked for an update- So I decided to give one. Ordered from BugsInCyberspace, the bug is nice and active, easy to care for so far, in good condition.
Really nice colors, he's just a little guy right now. I''ll snap some pictures once I see him again, thanks!

Last edited:

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I think this belongs in reviews. (Theres already a topic for BugsInCyberspace.)

Cool that you got your cricket, maybe some pictures sometime?

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think this belongs in reviews. (Theres already a topic for BugsInCyberspace.)

Cool that you got your cricket, maybe some pictures sometime?
Yes I know, i'm going to post in reviews, but I had already posted a thread about GETTING the J. Cricket, and some people messaged me, asking for an update once I got it.
I will try to take pictures next time I see it out haha, they like to be burrowed like 90% of the time, but still a gnarly bug.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Oh, man, cool! I always seem to miss my chance when somebody's selling 'em. XD

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
BugsInCyberspace still has some if i'm not mistaken!

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've never seen any in my yard or locally period! You'd think they might be here in Tennessee.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We get these guys a lot here. I mostly notice them when there's been lots of rain. Cool thing about them is they ate both plant and animal matter. I even fed them domestic crickets! They will kick you with their spikey legs if provoked. The bite is kind of a shock. X-D

I usually see them in places with loose, damp soil under a flat stepping stone, brick or a log. I gave them water through a dropper about once a week so I would know for sure they are hydrated. Same with the mantis.

Be choosy about what you put them in. I put a 1 1/2" baby in a normal deli cup and it chewed one of the ventilation holes big enough to escape(When I find the pic of the container I'll put it on photobucket). My dad found it a month later crawling on the kitchen counter and got me. STILL don't know how he climbed up there!

Last edited:

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was trying to figure out how to sex these things (because somebody asked), and took these photos that suggest differences. I labeled the one as female because the appendages look ovipositor-ish (despite there being two or four of them). Male roaches apparently have multiple parts to their organs, however, so maybe I've got the label on the wrong individual? The abdomen size of the respective individuals suggests I've got the label correct (abdomen size seems to be larger on ones with the sclerotized appendages).

If somebody out there knows something, help us out here. I half-wonder if individuals can retract those appendages, but then again abdomen size seems to vary consistently with their presence.

Jerusalem_cricket_sexing.jpg

Last edited:

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're definitely different, but on the one not labeled, I don't see anything that could be an organ, although theres a slight transluscent bump/ring looking thing present, as for knowing what kind of organ that is on the one labeled, I have no idea.