The Myrmekiaphila Information Thread

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm starting this thread so I can keep up with all my info and observations on my Myrmekiaphila species of trapdoor spiders. There is little to no information currently so I hope I can find more and provide a resource for those who own or are looking for these spiders. The only ones I ever see for sale are the M. correyi, Florida Red Trapdoor, but maybe in the future I can attempt breeding some of my native species which I believe to be M. foliata.

Here is some basic info.
A taxonomic review of the trapdoor spider genus Myrmekiaphila:
http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/handle/2246/5892

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmekiaphila

Bugguide:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/170331

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did you collect the native ones yourself? Perhaps some information on the field cues/habitats you found them in would be beneficial... I always prefer hearing first-hand accounts than what wikipedia has to say, if I can ;)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did you collect the native ones yourself? Perhaps some information on the field cues/habitats you found them in would be beneficial... I always prefer hearing first-hand accounts than what wikipedia has to say, if I can ;)
Yes I did collect them myself. I'll get some of that info up soon.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Current specimens and some general notes

I currently keep two unsexed juveniles. I'm going to refer to them as juveniles because they are still fairly small, but not as small as the slings and they take a long time to grow. At once, I have had 5 specimens: two were traded off and one died. As for mature males, they are extremely easy to find. In the past year, I have been able to get my hands on about 5 or 6. I caught the mature males on my porch and the rest of them in my backyard. The largest I have ever found was ~3". It was pretty stocky, but I accidentally killed it while digging it up.

These species can go an extremely long time without eating. I keep the sub moist and feed them maybe once a month. They grow slow as well and only two of the ones that were in my possession molted.

They are skittish, and skittish with prey as well, and will run at the slightest disturbance. Once they are out, if you are careful not to spook them, you can handle them easily. Mature males are extremely defensive and will slap anything that comes near them and are fairly quick. They can be found on porches and around other areas of houses after a rain.

I will post some pictures of the spiders, their enclosures, and their natural habitat and burrows later. Along with habitat information and some collecting notes.

Last edited:

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just found what I believe is a Myrmekiephila trapdoor spider just yesterday, and I was searching for some care info, so this will be very helpful. I believe that mine is a female, for the fact that it's fairly large (for a native spider) and was in a burrow when I found it, although some more definite sexing methods would be appreciated. I'm assuming that it is fairly content since it burrowed down as soon as i put it in an enclosure, which was just a jar of coco fiber 2/3 full.
I would really appreciate if you could post some of your specific care, since you seem to have a lot of experience with this variety of spider.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@satchellwk
Post some pictures of your spider. I don't know what the distinguishing characteristics are of each species are so I probably won't be able to ID it. However, I know that M. neilyoungi can be found in Alabama. I'm working on finding the info on sexing and IDing methods so when I get some I will post it. I am also working on a care sheet. The one thing I advise you to do is moisten the substrate and keep it moist so it's able to drink.

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For a second there, I thought you were kidding with the M. neilyoungi, but now, thanks to Google, I hope my spider is of the rock star variety.
Thanks for the moisture tip, that has seemed to be the key husbandry detail that I can gather from the internet, and plus it was in a very wet area when I found it.
Here are the pics:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is a nice looking spider. How big is it? Also, it would be awesome if you could post some pics and details about the area you found it. Along with some collection notes and anything else such as when it molts, burrow construction, etc.

I can't ID, but according to the article below, M. neilyoungi, M. torreya, and M. fluviatilis are all found in Alabama. Where in Alabama are you located?

Phylogeny and Classification of the Trapdoor Spider Genus Myrmekiaphila: An Integrative Approach to Evaluating Taxonomic Hypotheses:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0012744

Last edited:

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks! It's a little more than the diameter of a quarter from leg tip to leg tip (I unfortunately didn't measure her before she burrowed. I found her in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, at a local park that's on the banks of the Black Warrior River. It was about 10 feet or so from shore under a rock, it had built its burrow underneath it. The soil was very wet, almost mud, and had a clay consistency. It burrowed within minutes of giving it ample substrate
According to the range map, it could either be neilyoungi or foliata.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
According to the map, my specimens could either be M. jenkinsoni or M. foliata. If we could determine that ours are different species and one is M. foliata, then we could ID the other. That is, if the ranges are accurate. Have you come across any mature males?

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Unfortunately, I have not seen any mature males. The finding of this one was completely by chance, I was just poking around, and not looking for any particular animals. I flipped this spider by chance, and had actually never seen a trapdoor of this sort before.
However, based on some pics I have found online, despite being few and far between, foliata appears to have more of a red complexion on the entire body, while neilyoungi has a cephalothorax coloration with a reddish brown tint on the legs and a gray abdomen, which is very similar to my specimen. Therefore, my best guess would be neilyoungi for mine, but I did read in one place that a 100% id cannot be made on trapdoors without a microscopic examination of the pedipalps.
By the way, could you post some pics of your specimens, enclosures, etc.?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am in my last week of school, so once I get out for my Christmas break, I will be posting more info and pics :D. Until then, just type Myrmekiaphila in the search bar and I've got three or four threads with a few pics that will pop up.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a few notes to add. These are very hardy. I am currently feeding them one mealworm a month and they are doing just fine.

I have a feeding video of my larger one I will post soon.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These trapdoor spiders actually will web up a ball of wet clay and drink from it. I usually
Put a layer of clay at the bottom of container about an inch thick then 8 inches of substrate
They usualy dig a slightly curved burrow with a second chamber . There burrow resembles
A Letter Y . When they build their doors they spin a silk mat on the entrance of their burrow
Then fold the mat back in on top of their burrow . The coolest burrow builders to watch.
The second instars of these also build miniature version burrows.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These trapdoor spiders actually will web up a ball of wet clay and drink from it. I usually
Put a layer of clay at the bottom of container about an inch thick then 8 inches of substrate
They usualy dig a slightly curved burrow with a second chamber . There burrow resembles
A Letter Y . When they build their doors they spin a silk mat on the entrance of their burrow
Then fold the mat back in on top of their burrow . The coolest burrow builders to watch.
The second instars of these also build miniature version burrows.

Can you post some pictures of your spiders and enclosures? :D Also, what kind of clay do you use?

Mine have just made burrows straight down to the bottom and then across the bottom to the other edge of the enclosure. I've yet to have one make a Y burrow yet. I do enjoy seeing them pull their little doors shut lol.

Myrmekiaphila on Bugguide.net
http://bugguide.net/node/view/170331

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On the bug guid.net you have at the bottom of your post, click on it, then click on images, I have 4 imigaes on there, click on the picture of the first instars picture and the rest will show. I had to get rid of my trapdoor spiders before moving to Texas, they were not allowed where we were moving.
I had them in a 10 gallon aquarium, all 7 of them. The clay I dug up, and dryed out in oven to sterielize , then rewet. Next I put 1 to 2 inches of clay at the bottom of aqurium then 8 inches of peat and potting soil mix, packing it down fairly tight, to make them burrow where I wanted them to, I used a 1 1/4 coupling PVC. Put it where you want it and take a stick about the size of spider and poke it into soil at a slight angle less than a 45 degree and poke it down about 1 1/2 inches and put spider in coupling and it will find the hole. Also the spider will find the hole faster if the hole is fairly close to the edge of fitting. In the wild they are usually near riverbanks . The clay is a moisture barrier , maybe that is why yours are digging to the bottom and over looking for some sort of moisture. They will make a ball of clay that contains moisture for drinking. When I water them, I water them like a rain shower, the water will perculate down to the clay barrier and when they have too much water they will open their little doors to dry out their burrows. I have been looking at some of the trapdoors on the boards and really want to get a couple more. I wonder if any one would trade one. I have Aphonopelma hentzi 2nd instars, actually about 300 of them. Hope this info helps. I will try to find some more pictures of mine, but they are organized all over my computer in several different folders. In the meantime , I'll just look at everyone else's and wish I had a couple more.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^Thanks for the info! So you had 7 in one enclosure? Did you ever witness them crossing paths with another? I've been thinking about trying this if I ever find more. Any cannobalism or fighting at all? Did any of the burrows intersect?

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had one female that would come out and chase down crickets and sometimes cross one of the other burrows, but I think they can tell the size of the prey because they never came out to grab her. As long as they are all about the same size I wouldn't worry about it, for the most part if they came out they would stay right around their burrows except that one female and the one male. I guess I had a colony of them, in the wild you can find them really close to each other. I seperated them a little ways from each other in the aquarium, one toward each corner and two toward the middle of the aquarium, across from each other, and the male seemed to move and make temporaiy burrows all over the aquarium. Two of the females ended up with eggsacs and I was worried about the spiderlings being eaten when I saw the first ones at the entrance of the burrow. I dug them out and put them a seperate container when they were second instars, I was feeding them termites.
For the most part they will make the direction of their burrows with the angle of the initial hole I made with the stick, a slight downward curve and the second chamber usually comes off the top side of the curve about 3 to 4 inches down. You dont always see the second opening, some times it just shows as a lump that wasn't there yesterday. When you have to dig them up for any reason then you will find the second chamber.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've witnessed the second chambers in the wild as I have dug them up. I would've had a nice size full grown female, but it retreated up into its second chamber and I was digging with my knife and struck it in the middle of the carapace. I was quite upset about that.