Sweetheart turned savage!

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wonder if anybody knows anything about what is happing to to me G. Rosea.....

She was always such a sweetheart, I could hold her and let her walk around my room, whatever. The other day I was going to get some crap out of her cage and she made a go at me. A good one. Now She kills all prey items I put in her cage even if she is not going to eat it and if I so much as put a finger near her cage she flips!

I can't even put my hand on the glass without her showing threat displays. I have had her for a year and she has not done this before.

Anybody have any idea what in the world coud change a T's personality like that?

-Charlie

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
When did she last molt? Sounds like pms or pre molt syndrome.... :)

Scott

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've seen it happen before don't be suprised if she quits eating altogether I think it has alot to do with the changing of the seasons she'll probaly be back to her sweet old self around spring

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Charlie,

I'm not a T person, but I think the general consensus is that roseas, while hardy and virtually indestructible, are probably the most unpredictable and inconsistent species of the hobby. If you do a search on the forums for G. rosea, you will find multiple instances of people mentioning these sudden personality changes, weird undocumented behavior, etc etc

Pretty much the only thing you can count on is to not be able to count on anything! :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I haven't had that happen with any of my G rosea, but it's happened with some of my others.
Could be a symptom of PMS (premolt syndrome!) like Scott suggested, or it could also be any number of other things that you may never even figure out :)
Since she doesn't care whether you handle her or not, the loss is yours...and hopefully, you have others to handle whilst she is acting like this :)
If not, just enjoy your spastic rosie, and take lots of pics!

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for all of the great information all:)

Scott, In reloy to your question, She just moted about a month ago.

Oh well, I hope she gets back, I miss my little sweetie. :(

-Charlie

r_cafin

Arachnopeon
i can relate my rosea is acting trhe same way she freaks out when i do regular chores with her..like the other day i was watering her and she attacked the water stream..or if i walk in to check on her she gets very cranky..i fed her this morning and she went nuts started killing the crics right away she was even holding them and not injecting them.so yes they are very tempermental..oh well fun to watch though...Ryan

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My rosea was bought on a lark - she just seemed like a big healthy girl, and docile. So I figured, hey - why not have at least one species I can take out for people to hold (none of my other spiders are even remotely handleable)?

Well, turns out she rears up at the slightest provocation! I wouldn't dare stick my finger within fang's reach of her.

b

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Revolting Rosies

Maybe the Rosies are revolting from being declared the friendlyest species.

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wonder if this phenomenon isn't a bit seasonal. Eleanor, my rosie has been more excitable in the last week. She has not become aggressive, but when I take her out she walks very fast until she has walked across my hands several times and then finally settles down. She is fasting, so I haven't seen any cricket carnage, so what can I say.

Bryan