Good mites or Bad mites? :(

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While I was out of town for 2 weeks, i had my roomie take care of all the scorps. During that period small roundish, white mites appeared in the tank. I've had a colony of emps die out due to a bad case of mites, but I don't think these are the same. The mites that killed my emps a few years back did NOT move and were very hard. These are just small little mites that do move, albeit rather slow, but they arent sticking to anything, just living in the soil. (they aren't springtails, I know that for sure)

Are these good mites or bad mites? If bad mites, Should i just rehouse all of my B.jacksoni?

Last edited:

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess all I can do is watch for a little bit, and see if they're causing any trouble. This is why i like desert set ups so much more.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
most likely it is grain mites....they are white, round, and move super slowly...you can completely redo and clean the entire enclosure, but good luck....they always seem to reappear....

theguns19726

Arachnosquire
Kenthebugguy.com has some. My kids went outside in the woods and turned over a log and found me like 150 of them lil buggers (roly-polys). If your reasonably sure that there are no pesticides that have been sprayed then you could use them right away. Or you can breed a few generations and use the babys. Mine were found far from any road or field so I just stuck mine in the tank after they thawed out. And by thawed out I mean they were frozen in some ice on a piece of bark lol.