"Poecilotheria" Handling?.......

Jared781

Arachnobaron
these Ts seem hella popular!! and they also look the most dominant!!
Although i think that title goes to the Xenesthis... anyways, does anyone hold their Poecilotheria's?

How do they act?

LittleSister

Arachnopeon
Pokies are wonderful but I would never be stupid enough to handle mine, even though my regalis is rather "calm".

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would never touch my P. regalis. Ever. But then again, I wouldn't touch ANY of my Ts. The first I would handle if I HAD to, it would be my A. avic sling.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pokie handling is something one shouldn't even consider without huge amounts of experience, and even then, goes against advice. They are fast, can be unpredictable, and have some of the strongest venom (lay you out for a few weeks venom). My advice to a newbie, don't even consider it. Don't get into tarantulas with the desire to hold them being a primary factor. If in a few years you feel you're experienced enough, then you can reconsider. But that's a personal decision. The hobby, as a whole, will never recommend handling potent tarantulas. Some people do handle them, but they understand the potential consequences and have the experience necessary to understand the risk and maintain composure throughout.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just don't know. You see people doing this all the time, but it's just a dumb thing to do. Sorry if I offend anyone here who handles their pokies, but it is truly an idiotic decision.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
My counter to the advice against handling is maybe the people bitten would have remained calmed when the spiders dart out onto them if they've handled them before. Staying calm is the best way to prevent a bite. I've never been bitten handling, and I've done it over 9 years.. To each their own.

-Sean

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But why risk it? If you must handle, then handle something docile like a Brachy, Grammy, or some kind of Avic? Of course keeping your hands low to the ground when handling the last ;).

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
LOL why would you even consider handling pokies?? they run to fast way too stay on your hand for more then 5 seconds & there Venom is so Potent

19tarantula91

Arachnosquire
I just don't know. You see people doing this all the time, but it's just a dumb thing to do. Sorry if I offend anyone here who handles their pokies, but it is truly an idiotic decision.
It's not idiotic unless you don't know what you are doing... This is not your call to say if it is idiotic or not.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I would say that whether you know what you are doing or not, the actual decision to handle should be based on the fact that this genus has potent venom. If you are aware and willing to deal with the after affects of a possible bite, then go for it. Not saying a bite WILL happen but regardless of species/genus, a bite CAN happen. It comes down to whether or not you really want to risk a bite from something, that is going to cause you some substantial pain if you do get bit. Pokies are skittish and fast, they usually run first but that doesn't mean they won't bite if they feel the need.

I don't advocate handling OWs myself, but I am not going to say it's idiotic. If you handle as correctly as possible on your end (it could still go wrong, this is an animal that you can't control) and are fully aware of what can happen, and still choose to handle, then that's your choice.

If you're drunk and doing it to show off, and get bit...then I will say it's idiotic. ;)

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
But why risk it? If you must handle, then handle something docile like a Brachy, Grammy, or some kind of Avic? Of course keeping your hands low to the ground when handling the last ;).
Because brachys won't dart out of their web and up your arm like a pokie will. So holding brachy's give you next to no experience.

-Sean

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not idiotic unless you don't know what you are doing... This is not your call to say if it is idiotic or not.
It's my call to say whatever I want as long as it's not violating forum rules. It's not your call to tell people what isn't their call.

19tarantula91

Arachnosquire
It's my call to say whatever I want as long as it's not violating forum rules. It's not your call to tell people what isn't their call.
hmmm defensive defensive.... Sounds like you know you are wrong...

Chill dude. Just because YOU aren't willing to do it, doesn't mean it's idiotic for anyone else ;)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hmmm defensive defensive.... Sounds like you know you are wrong...

Chill dude. Just because YOU aren't willing to do it, doesn't mean it's idiotic for anyone else ;)
For the average hobbyist, it's idiotic. You, being on this site for < 1 month, really don't have much place to come here and call people out, dude.

I've been in the hobby for 11 years and I don't handle my tarantulas (regardless of species) unless it's for an educational demonstration or when rehousing/doing cage maintenance. With the latter, it's mostly unintended/unintentional handling.

So yeah, I wouldn't recommend handling anything old world, especially to anyone new to the hobby.

19tarantula91

Arachnosquire
For the average hobbyist, it's idiotic. You, being on this site for < 1 month, really don't have much place to come here and call people out, dude.

I've been in the hobby for 11 years and I don't handle my tarantulas (regardless of species) unless it's for an educational demonstration or when rehousing/doing cage maintenance. With the latter, it's mostly unintended/unintentional handling.

So yeah, I wouldn't recommend handling anything old world, especially to anyone new to the hobby.
Just because I have only been on this form for 1 month doesn't mean I don't have experience. I have been into arachnids, and snakes for most of my life. I have caught many wild T's along with rattle snakes, and bull snakes. I am not saying that I even handle my pocies... I am saying that it is nobody's place to say you can't hold a T you own. I didn't even say it shouldn't be discouraged just that it wasn't his place to say it's idiotic. I have heard from people who have been in the hobby for a long time who are willing to hold some poeci spec.

this is off topic but...

I have seen how critical you are on peoples posts because they don't have as many post as you, or haven't been apart of the forum for as long as you.
You might be surprised what kind of positive response you might get from people if you treat them correctly. You obviously have a lot of experience so why don't you help people instead of try and discourage them and tear them down. Most of your post quote I have 11 years of experience... get over it dude you really aren't the only one (not saying I do) so why don't you put that 11 years to good use ;) or... just don't comment yo!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're handling an animal that is fast moving, highly venomous (for a tarantula), can be defensive, and is very unpredictable. I see it the same as drinking and driving, it's just not worth it. It may seem fun at the moment, but you really have to think of what could go wrong.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
this is off topic but...

I have seen how critical you are on peoples posts because they don't have as many post as you, or haven't been apart of the forum for as long as you.
You might be surprised what kind of positive response you might get from people if you treat them correctly. You obviously have a lot of experience so why don't you help people instead of try and discourage them and tear them down. Most of your post quote I have 11 years of experience... get over it dude you really aren't the only one (not saying I do) so why don't you put that 11 years to good use ;) or... just don't comment yo!
What I love most is that you come on here acting tough, then criticize someone for the same qualities.

If you actually would read my posts, you would see that your comment "Most of your post quote I have 11 years of experience" is so far off-base it's laughable.

Now, if you re-read what I said in my first post in this thread:

"For the average hobbyist, it's idiotic. You, being on this site for < 1 month, really don't have much place to come here and call people out, dude."

You will see that what I'm saying is quite simple, without any beating around the bush or sugar-coating or anything of that nature. I'll try again for you, since you missed it the first time.

It is idiotic for the average hobbyist to handle spiders from the genus Poecilotheria. You do not have much place entering conversations and calling out members because of your 'newbie' status on this forum (what I mean here, is that you have only been a member of this forum for < [less than] one month).

I'll add a disclaimer here, that the above bolded text is my opinion, and is not necessarily solid fact.

Now, let's address the second part of my post:

"I've been in the hobby for 11 years and I don't handle my tarantulas (regardless of species) unless it's for an educational demonstration or when rehousing/doing cage maintenance. With the latter, it's mostly unintended/unintentional handling."

I cited my experience in this hobby to give an idea of exactly that...my experience in this hobby, before offering my (gasp) experience in this hobby regarding handling. Wouldn't you like to know how long your mechanic has been working on cars before he tells you what's wrong with yours?

"Yeah, uh...your carborator's leakin' antifreeze, and the pistons in yer transmission are fused closed. I know this because I've been workin' on cars for the last two hours, so I know what I'm talkin' 'bout."

Give me a break, dude.

Now, if you would kindly back up your last post by providing some evidence that I:

• Am critical of people's posts because they don't have as many posts as I have
  • Am critical of people's posts because they haven't been on the forum for as long as I have
  • Include my experience in the hobby in 'most of my posts'

If you can't, then kindly shut up yo!

web eviction

Arachnolord
Dang got served ur cup of joe dint ya haha!

I only handle when I half to rehousing and such, I used to handle all my t's and learned the hard way a bite from an ornata is not fun at all. On that note all my pokie handling in very much unintentional.....

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
After seeing the threat Poses my P striata makes... at the tongs... I would think twice on handling any Large Pokies...
& juvies run for dear life....scared to death
all it does is stresses out the spider & Handling pokies is pointless