Species you can't live without

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I've been toying with this idea for a while, now. There are a few species of tarantula I don't think I would like to be without. I try to keep the list short, but these are the spiders that will always exist in my collection:

Avicularia avicularia
Avicularia versicolor
Brachypelma albopilosum
Chilobrachys fimbriatus
Ephebopus cyanognathus
Nhandu chromatus
Psalmopeus irminia
Pterinochilus murinus

Does anyone else have a list like this? What's in yours?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
mine are more like species, and genus

Poecilotheria
Pelinobius muticus
Lasiodora parahybana
Ornithoctonus sp (Koh Samui)
Psalmopoeus
Brachypelma
many more. cant think of

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tapinauchenius gigas because they're so active and never in the same place for long (for a tarantula). I also like their personality (they've got spunk) and their looks.

Thrixopelma ockerti. I just got a 4.5" female and she's just so beautiful. I can always count on her to be 'on display'...She's always on a branch (supposedly semi-arboreal, but mine's pretty much completely arboreal). I know they have a reputation as being hair kickers, but mine always hesitates before she kicks..it's cute. It's like she gets the instinct to kick, and lifts her leg to her abdomen but stops or does it gently once she realizes there's no threat. She's very gentle.

Xenesthis immanis. This will probably be my biggest T once it reaches full size. It's not that active, but at least it looks good just sitting there.

Cyriocosmus perezmilesi. A little bundle of pink cuteness.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Poecilotheria spp (favorites - subfusca, miranda, metallica, rufilata, ornata, tigrinawesseli, formosa)
Avicularia versicolor, sp Amazonica (beautiful and docile)
Grammostola pulchra (so much more personality than I was expecting)
Pamphobeteus spp (so so so incredibly awesome, the best feeders ever)
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (beautiful with awesome webbing)
Pterinochilus spp (fast and underrated, especially chordatus and lugardi)
Cyriocosmus spp (so small and cute)

That turned into a long list fast.

suzypike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nhandu- chromatus and tripepii
Lasiodora parahybana
P. scrofa
Psalmopoeus pulcher
Brachypelma- albiceps & klaasi

This is keeping it short! :)

tfd6506

Arachnopeon
I've been in the hobby for a few months and have acquired a smattering of the more common species from the genuses Brachypelma, Grammostola, Aphonopelma, Lasiodora, Nhandu, Acanthoscurria, Heteroscodra, Pterinochilus, Poecilotheria, Avicularia, Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus as well as a few of the more uncommon ones. and so far I love the Psalmopoeus species the best by far. I have irminia, cambridgei, and reduncus at the large spiderling/juvenile stages and they do not disappoint me in the slightest when feeding. Aside from my newly acquired Acanthoscurria geniculata sling, the Psalmopoeus specimens are my only ones that simply will not refuse food unless in pre-molt. In my relatively new experience they have been eating machines! Now I just need to nab a P. pulcher...

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G sp. "concepcion" - I love my female. Awesome colors, great attitude. Really getting into the whole Grammostola genus.
E. cyanognathus - Just got one in August and it's still a sling, but I am enjoying it.

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lasiodora parahybana - don't judge them by the price they are so active and it's so rewarding to see them grow. Being one of the largest spiders in the world and brave enough to take giant centipedes from you yet docile enough for beginners and never burrows as adults, what else can you ask for?

Lasiodora klugi - preserving most good characters of its cousin, while getting heavier. Not as fast growing but they begin as good display Ts even as slings that rarely burrows, again what else can you ask for?

Brachypelma auratum - okay B. smithi looks similar but if you ask any artist or people sensitive to colors who know nothing about this hobby, see what they will choose. That's why I fell in love with them despite their price being 10 times more expensive than the B. smithi. Although they were much cheaper now, looking back I still think they were worth 10 times the price of B. smithi. It gets bigger too.

Grammostola pulchra - the most docile species under its genus, and definitely the most docile tarantula. They have never flicked hairs, and have never rejected handling. Their fasting periods last shorter than G. pulchripes and G. rosea too.

Theraphosa apophysis - T. blondi is the heaviest, no doubt about it, but T. apophysis is longer, faster and more agile. Their more rusty reddish color is more appealing to me than the T. blondi too.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularia sp.
A. geniculata
T. ockerti
G. pulchripes

Last edited:

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Gotta show love to the two priciest Baboons on the market.
and they come terrestrial or arboreal ^_^

M.balfouri
E.olivicea

Cant help love the fluffiness so any Avic sp.

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For me it would have to be just a P. Irminia, and a P. Murinus. Also B. Smithi even though I don't have one. If it wasn't ever for seeing a picture of a B. Smithi, I don't think i
would've ever started this hobby.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. pulchripes
H. maculata (keeps me on my toes)
P. regalis
A. avicularia
L. parahybana

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularia sp. (somethings never change). 2nd choice- P. Cambridgei.

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For me in order of preferance

S. calceatum
C. elegans
L. parahybana
A. metallica
B. smithi
G. rosea

Don't have but definatly on my wish list
P. metallica
T. Blondi/strimi
X. immanis

LittleSister

Arachnopeon
Hmm I have alot of favs so it's kinda hard :p

A. versicolor (and the whole genus in general)
Poecilotheria genus
P. murinus
M. balfouri