Grammostola rosea: A possible insight into its genetics

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
[NOTE: This posting has been edited and updated several times during the course of this discussion to reflect criticisms and new information offered by the various contributors. This may impact the relevance of your comments and responses. We suggest you review this initial posting before proceeding with any comment or contribution. We may have already responded to, or corrected the subject of your contribution.]

The subject of the genetics of the red color form of Grammostola rosea, the Chilean rose tarantula, recently came up (for the umpteen gazzillionth time) on the Chat forum. That prompted me to compose a lengthy essay on it that eventually got so long and involved that I decided to post it as a separate thread on this forum instead so it could be referenced easily later. I'd be interested in reading critiques and criticisms in the hopes that I could correct or improve it.

Have at it gang. I already have my asbestos suit on in anticipation of the flame war! {D

[size=+1]WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS MERELY CONJECTURE!
CONSIDER IT AN HYPOTHESIS ONLY!
IT NEEDS TO BE PROVEN BY ACTUAL EXPERIMENT!
DON'T QUOTE THIS AS FACT!
[/size]​

Is that enough warning for you NOT to immediately try to turn this into God's truth and write it up in another witless care sheet, misquoting me in the process?

There are a lot of nit-picking conditions included in the statements that follow, and each detail is important. So, I would recommend that you read these paragraphs over at least twice to try to understand them better. Similarly there are a lot of assumptions made here that will be important to those with a background in genetics. But, this is not written for those people. They can write their own essay.

Lastly, we have purposely gone out of our way to not use a bunch of technical terms (e.g., homozygous, heterozygous, allele, genotype, phenotype, and a lot more). We wanted to keep this simple. This is for the novice who merely wants to expand their limits a tad. If you're interested in wading into the deep stuff, Google any of the technical terms in this essay. Or, get a good genetics book from a college library. (Hint: Good genetics books are usually those that DON'T use 90% of their bulk to itemize the 1,000,001 inheritable defects known to occur in the human race.)

I would now like to introduce you to several concepts. First, each adult Chilean rose carries two copies of each gene. It inherited one from its mother and one from its father. And, when our Chilean rose reproduces, regardless of its sex, it passes a copy of either one or the other of that pair to each of its offspring. Thus, each of its offspring ends up with a pair of that particular gene, just like each of its parents.

This becomes particularly interesting if a given gene occurs in two or more states, e.g., if there is a difference in the way that it can function. Thus, the gene of the pigment melanin exists in two states: functional and nonfunctional. It either works, or there is something wrong with it and it doesn't work. Thus, it would be reasonable to expect that any individual might inherit both functional genes, one functional and the other nonfunctional, or neither gene functional depending on what genes were available in their parents, and the "luck of the draw."

There are a number of different kinds of inheritance, and I won't discuss them all here. However, the two most common kinds are:

1> Dominant/recessive. In this scenario one gene will mask the expression of the other if they occur in the same individual. The masking gene is said to be dominant, and the gene that is masked is said to be recessive. Thus, an individual that inherits one functional gene and one nonfunctional gene for melanin will still have black pigment. But, if it inherited one nonfunctional gene from its mother and another from its father, i.e., both genes were nonfunctional, it would lack the black pigment melanin entirely.

2> Incomplete dominance. In this scenario, neither of the two states of the gene are masking their partner, and an individual that inherits one of each appears to be an intergrade or an "average" between the two "pure" states. Thus, for example, some flowers may be pink instead of red or white.

[EDIT: I have removed co-dominance from the preceding paragraph and what follows because of a particularly lucid explanation given by BioTeach, below.]

Now we come to a discussion of a construct used by geneticists called a Punnett square. Basically it's a graphical way of sorting out the inheritance of a particular character, and helps the budding geneticist (i.e., you) understand what's happening.

In its simplest form a Punnett square is merely a very simplistic checkerboard composed of two rows and two columns.

Either the rows or the columns may be ascribed to the mother, and the other orientation ascribed to the father. We did it like so. If you prefer the other way, we encourage you to do your own at home.

We will assume that the red pigment that makes an RCF Chilean rose so intensely colored is controlled by a gene that can be either functional or nonfunctional. Functional will be represented by an uppercase "R," and nonfunctional will be represented by a lowercase "r."

It should be patently obvious that either parent can have either both genes the same, i.e., RR or rr; or they can have each of the two genes different, i.e., Rr. (The combination rR is the same as Rr.) And, it should also be patently obvious that if you cross an RR mother with an RR father you're only going to get RR babies. (The same is true if they're both pure rr.)

But, if one is RR and the other is rr, you'll get all Rr babies. That is demonstrated in a Punnett square by ascribing the RR condition to the father, and the rr condition to the mother. And, yes we could have done it the other way around, but we would have obtained the exact same results in the offspring.

Now fill in the blank squares. Each square represents one set of offspring, and its contents are supposed to indicate the gene combination inherited by that set of offspring.

And, here is the scorecard for that particular square.

We got all hybrid for the red gene. And quite predictably, we got no all red (RR) or un-red (rr) individuals.

But, what happens if you mate two individuals that are both hybrid for the red gene?

And, here is the scorecard for that square.

Now we have all three color forms. Or do we?

If R masks r (i.e., R is dominant), RR will show the red condition for sure. But, so will Rr! You won't be able to tell the difference. So in fact, we SEE only two states: Red and un-red.

If however, R is incompletely dominant we will see a third color form, probably intermediate between the other two: Red, partly red (pink?), and un-red.

So now, here is where the proverbial rubber meets the road:

1> What do we see in Chilean rose coloring? Answer: We see at least three color forms!

2> Which of the two preceding conditions does that match more closely? Answer: The second situation with red pigmentation being incompletely dominant.

So, based on our (newly acquired) background in genetics, and our observations, we can hypothesize that the red coloring in Grammostola rosea, the Chilean rose tarantula, is probably an incompletely dominant type of heredity. And that, men, women, boys, and girls, if it's true would neatly tie up the question of the inheritance of the different color phases in one big, internally and externally, consistent theory without calling into question the issues of hybrids between species or multiple species being mistaken for one.

But how do we prove it? We could start an elaborate breeding program, carefully noting the outward appearance of each individual Chilean rose, who it was bred to, and what the resulting babies looked like, but that will surely take the better part of this century. But, we may have a better alternative. Enough Chilean roses have been bred in captivity that we probably could merely compile the appropriate data about what the father and mother in each crossing looked like, and what the babies looked like (with the numbers of each color form produced as well, a topic I intentionally skirt until the very end, below.). A sufficiently clever amateur geneticist should be able to sort out the genetics of red pigmentation merely by making such a population study without a 75 year commitment.

But hey! If you want to go take the high road, go for it!

EDIT, 2012-Jan-03: I failed to include the following paragraphs in the original post. I am appending them herewith. Sorry for any confusion.

Thus, by this hypothesis we can define the three colors reported most often as:
(Click on the thumbnails if you need a larger version of the graphics. All graphics are uploaded with ImageShack.us)

(Appearance = Acronym = Genetic Makeup)

Red (copper) color form = RCF = RR

Pink color form = ??? = Rr (Help me with the acronym for this one, somebody!)

Grey color form = NCF = rr

And, the outcomes from interbreeding these various color forms are inferred in the scorecards above and itemized here:

RR x RR = 100% RR, 0% Rr, 0% rr

RR x Rr = 50% RR, 50% Rr, 0% rr

RR x rr = 0% RR, 100% Rr, 0% rr

Rr x Rr = 25% RR, 50% Rr, 25% rr

Rr x rr = 0% RR, 50% Rr, 50% rr

rr x rr = 0% RR, 0% Rr, 100% rr

Thus, the relative proportions of the various color forms in any single eggsac might hold important clues about the genetic makeup (e.g., RR, Rr, rr) of the parents.

Last edited:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fantastic post! On top of that, a great primer on Mendelian genetics! I love this stuff!

On this topic, do you happen to know what wild populations are like when it comes to the different color forms? It's possible that the colors could be driven by something as simple as a single co-dominant or incompletely dominant locus, but it could also be due to isolated populations that rarely interbreed in the wild, so have developed their own locality-specific color forms. Of course, if all 3 forms are being collected from the same locations, than that completely negates the second option. I know nothing of their natural populations and what variations may arise across their range, so any information that anyone has would be very interesting to know.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fantastic post! On top of that, a great primer on Mendelian genetics! I love this stuff! ...
Many thanks!

On this topic, do you happen to know what wild populations are like when it comes to the different color forms? It's possible that the colors could be driven by something as simple as a single co-dominant or incompletely dominant locus, but it could also be due to isolated populations that rarely interbreed in the wild, so have developed their own locality-specific color forms. Of course, if all 3 forms are being collected from the same locations, than that completely negates the second option. I know nothing of their natural populations and what variations may arise across their range, so any information that anyone has would be very interesting to know.
Sorry. I know nothing about their natural distribution.

A thought has occurred to me recently. I recently suffered a major disaster, but once I get reorganized I have been wondering about the feasibility of flying to Chile and spending several months wandering around the place, taking photos and talking with the people who live there about tarantulas. Having the enthusiast's point of view, I'll bet I could answer a lot of questions that are now answered only with big, dumb looks.

Enjoy your little 8-legged wonder!

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Very interesting read, Stan. Thank you!

Zman181

Arachnoknight
Thank you so very much for taking the time to provide us with this information. Very interesting. I currently own a few Grammostola rosea slings who's parents are RCF and normal phase.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Does this mean that we can determine the recessive of our G. rosea with breeding tests?

Thanks for putting in the time to rant to us, starting the year right!

BioTeach

Arachnopeon
Nice topic!

Remember that codominance means both forms of a trait would be expressed at the same time. Incomplete dominance would be a blending or intermediate of the two forms.

Do we know for sure that the trait is not polygenic or a case of multiple alleles? That would be a more likely possibility if there are several intermediate forms.

Let's also not forget about the possibility of epistatsis = when an allele from one gene can mask the effects of alleles on a different gene!

Then there is the possibility of internal and external environmental influences on gene expression.

It would be interesting to see the breeding records and resulting color forms for those that have bred G. rosea on this board!

drgonzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I seriously doubt it is a simple recessive or co dom color mutation.
It is stated in the TKG that they can be polymorphic(getting diffrent color phases in one sac)I don't believe this either
I have had a sac from a wild caught NCF and gotten all NCF(sac was from a WC female)kept 10 until the 2"mark and still have 5 from 1997 all are for sure NCF
I have bred RCFXRCF and have RCF WC females drop a sac.And gotten all RCF babies

IMO
I think they shouldn't be bred together,breeding sibling to siblings.to prove genetics will be next to impossiable and time consuming.If you bred a RCFXNCF and got a mix I would atribute that to a line bred trait and not a color morph.The babies would take on atributes of both parents and akin it to just a color variation in "hybrids"

Show me one detailed breeding report of NCFXNCF,RCFXRCF,Grammostola sp whiteXGrammostola sp white.That produced anything other than exact copys of the parents.

I have kept NCF and RCF for years.Not counting slings I currently have more than ten adults of both species/color mutation/color phase
The RCF have a bit faster growth rate,are more active,more skidisth,a bit faster,lose body mass faster(especially after a molt),more sensitive to temperature fluctuation,more prone to throw a threat pose,and a few more
IMO They are not the same species.

Could be a co dom hypo trait....???
Does anyone have any real detailed local info on were the diffrent color forms are found and if they over lap?

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does this mean that we can determine the recessive of our G. rosea with breeding tests? ...
I don't understand your question. Maybe if I waltz around some of the words you're using I can get lucky.

Re: "determine the recessive" - Hypothetically, since genes are primarily DNA (and we definitely don't want to probe any deeper than that because we're already at the limits of my understanding) we should be able to run some quick test in some "Jurassic Park" type laboratory and be able to tell what genes a given tarantula had. But, not in this lifetime. Probably not in the next either.

First, we'd need to do about 10 years of research on the tarantula genome. (And, a further complicating issue is that there are over 900 different putative species of tarantula, each more or less different from any other.) And, we'd need to become familiar enough with their genes to be able to identify individual genes that we find. I couldn't even be able to guess at how much that would cost. Rate that one as possible, but a comet hit to Washington DC would be more probable.

However, "with breeding tests" hints that you don't mean that sort of thing. You may mean, "Can we determine if the gene for given character is recessive by performing a well planned set of test crosses?" And, the answer to that one is a resounding, "YES!" You'd have to tell me what "visible" character you want me to look at, and you'd have to supply me with a bunch of tarantulas that possess it, as well as a bunch that apparently did not. I would then plan and execute a series of crosses that would test how the character was inherited.

But, before moving on, let's examine this last paragraph a little more closely. There are several issues that we would need to address:
1> We would need some inheritable characteristic (e.g., color, presence or lack of urticating bristles, etc) for which we had a mutation or at least that came in at least two "flavors."
2> These two or more "flavors" would have to be readily identifiable and distinguishable (i.e., "visible").

Perhaps the major obstacle is the tarantula's long generation time. For vinegar gnats (aka, fruit flies) it's only about 10 days. For Chilean rose tarantulas it's about 10 YEARS! And, since the experiment might require a series of up to 5 or more consecutive crosses (that's 5+ generations), we could easily plan on taking 50 years to get our results. That's the bad news. The good news is that, since each mating would produce an average of perhaps 200 offspring, we'd have little trouble obtaining a statistically significant sample. (Statistics is used heavily in genetics to "confirm" an hypothesis.) So, while it doesn't require a dozen machines worth a half million dollars apiece plus a small army of technicians and support personnel, it still isn't going to be a cheap enterprise, keeping, caging, and feeding thousands of tarantulas for half a century. But, it's a project that a really dedicated bunch of enthusiasts might be able to carry off.

Or, as I hinted in my original posting, since we already have somewhere between a dozen to a hundred or more instances where virgin pairs of Chilean rose tarantulas have been mated and produced offspring, there is a chance that if we were lucky we could simply sit down with the data from those matings and be able to divine enough information to strongly suggest the genetics of some (hopefully) simple character like color. Our results may not be professionally presentable as scientific fact, but then we're not professional geneticists either. We're just hobbyists trying to answer an interesting question so we can intelligently plan the next breeding program.

... Thanks for putting in the time to rant to us, starting the year right!
Always a pleasure!

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great post but due to the horrible flashbacks to tenth grade biology and that terrible first year teacher it caused I'll be sure to send you my therapy bill. I just always assumed that it was a recessive trait which is why it wasn't as common as the NCF and never gave much thought to it being co-dominant but my sister is the biologist in the family and not me. It was nice to see something scientific in the forum for, "for scientific questions and discussions pertaining to Tarantulas," though.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... It is stated in the TKG that they can be polymorphic(getting diffrent color phases in one sac)I don't believe this either ...
I placed that passage in TKG based on a verbal report from Dr. Robert Gale Breene, III (aka "Spider Bob), then President of the American Tarantula Society. Spider Bob had direct physical evidence of an eggsac produced by another lady's female Chilean rose in which all three color forms were evident after they had experienced a number of molts. Since that time there have been several other anecdotal reports by enthusiasts of the same type. Having said that, I really would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has ever had a female produce an eggsac and babies.

... I have had a sac from a wild caught NCF and gotten all NCF(sac was from a WC female)kept 10 until the 2"mark and still have 5 from 1997 all are for sure NCF ...
Sorry, but this doesn't mean much because we don't know for sure what the genotype of the father was. However, if by NCF you mean the grey color form, by my hypothesis these would be the homozygous "rr" individuals. Of necessity they would have to be homozygous for the "r" gene because the pink color form would probably be "Rr." And, as you state, you got no pink individuals. If all this is true, all you've shown is that the male was also homozygous for the "r" gene, a condition that is not too unbelievable because wild populations are normally kept fairly homozygous by intense inbreeding and brutal natural selection. In fact, the female you refer to may have been bred by one of her nephews or even her sons.

... I have bred RCFXRCF and have RCF WC females drop a sac.And gotten all RCF babies ...
And again, this doesn't prove much. If my hypothesis is correct, the RCF (intense copper colored form) would be homozygous "RR." So they would have none of the "r" genes to pass to their offspring. They're merely breeding true because there are no variant genes to come into play.

... I think they shouldn't be bred together, ...
It's a free country. You may think whatever you choose. I would be interested, however, if you have any substantial evidence for holding that opinion.

... breeding sibling to siblings.to prove genetics will be next to impossiable ...
Not at all. Cool the males and restrict their food intake a little to retard their growth and maturation rates. Keep the females a little warmer than normal and power feed them. It's a technique that's now used by breeders worldwide for producing babies of many of the rarer species where we don't have much choice.

... and time consuming. ...
That I will heartily agree with. In fact, I did.

... If you bred a RCFXNCF and got a mix I would atribute that to a line bred trait and not a color morph. ...
I have no idea what a "line bred trait" would be. Can you offer a definition?

... The babies would take on atributes of both parents and akin it to just a color variation in "hybrids" ...
Sorry, I don't understand this comment either. Can you clarify?

... Show me one detailed breeding report of NCFXNCF,RCFXRCF,Grammostola sp whiteXGrammostola sp white.That produced anything other than exact copys of the parents. ...
And that is one of the goals of starting this thread. I'm sitting here with bated breath, just aching to hear from anyone who has had any real experience breeding Chilean rose tarantulas and who kept reasonably accurate records of the outcomes. Also, we need to hear from anyone else who may have had a wild caught female drop an eggsac that produced babies.

[size=+1]DON'T BE SHY FOLKS. WE NEED YOUR DATA![/size]​

... I have kept NCF and RCF for years. ...
That is most admirable. But, what we need are breeding records in order to illuminate their genetics. Just keeping them isn't enough I'm afraid.

... Not counting slings I currently have more than ten adults of both species/color mutation/color phase
The RCF have a bit faster growth rate,are more active,more skidisth,a bit faster,lose body mass faster(especially after a molt),more sensitive to temperature fluctuation,more prone to throw a threat pose,and a few more
IMO They are not the same species
But the qualities you itemize are not good enough to qualify them as distinct species. Before we can make hard and fast claims about species' identities we need hard and fast morphological and DNA evidence, among other things. And, while things like growth rate and temperament to name of few that you mentioned may indeed be different between different color forms, that may merely be a consequence of the various color forms arising from different colonies or collection sites. Or, they may vary between different "breeds" or strains of Chilean rose tarantulas much the same way that they differ between the various breeds of dogs. Again, they might be good enough to be used as peripheral, supporting evidence, but have no actual, hard and fast merit.

Good argument though! At least someone out there is paying attention! But, please get back to me about the several clarifications I requested above.

drgonzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So, based on our (newly acquired) background in genetics, and our observations, we can hypothesize that the red coloring in Grammostola rosea, the Chilean rose tarantula, is either a co-dominant or incompletely dominant type of heredity. And that, men, women, boys, and girls, if it's true would neatly tie up the question of the inheritance of the different different color phases in one big, internally consistent, theory without calling into question the issues of hybrids between species or multiple species being mistaken for one.

But how do we prove it? We could start an elaborate breeding program, carefully noting the outward appearance of each individual Chilean rose, who it was bred to, and what the resulting babies looked like, but that will surely take the better part of this century. But, we may have a better alternative. Enough Chilean roses have been bred in captivity that we probably could merely compile the appropriate data about what the father and mother in each crossing looked like, and what the babies looked like (with the numbers of each color form produced as well, a topic I intentionally skirted.). A sufficiently clever amateur geneticist should be able to sort out the genetics of red pigmentation merely by making such a population study without a 75 year commitment.

But hey! If you want to go take the high road, go for it!
So in theory if co dom breeding out comes should be
Grammostola sp northXGrammostola sp north = All Grammostola sp north 100%
Grammostola sp northXNCF =75% Grammostola sp north and 25% NCF
NCFXNCF=75%NCF(visiable het,one homozygous form showing)and 25%RCF(super form,two homozygous forms showing)
RCFXNCF=50%RCF and 50%NCF
RCFXRCF= 100% RCF
RCFXGrammostola sp north= 100%NCF (the easiest and quicked way to prove or disprove this)

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... Remember that codominance means both forms of a trait would be expressed at the same time. Incomplete dominance would be a blending or intermediate of the two forms. ...
Excellent! So what I'm talking about here is probably incomplete dominance. Neat.

... Do we know for sure that the trait is not polygenic or a case of multiple alleles? That would be a more likely possibility if there are several intermediate forms.

Let's also not forget about the possibility of epistatsis = when an allele from one gene can mask the effects of alleles on a different gene!

Then there is the possibility of internal and external environmental influences on gene expression.

It would be interesting to see the breeding records and resulting color forms for those that have bred G. rosea on this board!

Oh c **p! More technical terms to memorize! :eek:

Yes, yes, yes! All of these are not only possible, but actually probable, at least with some other genes. However, over the decades (well over 2/3 of a century now!) I have learned to believe strongly in

[size=+1]SCHULTZ' PARADIGMS[/size]​

1> If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck. (I.e., trust the data.)

2> Occam's Razor. (Survival of the simplest, least troublesome, etc.)

3> Simple is better. (The fewer things there are to go wrong, the better.)

And,
[size=+1]SCHULTZ' STATUTES OF LIMITATION[/size]​

1> If it ain't intuitive, it ain't worth :poop:.

2> If it takes longer than you can hold your breath, it ain't worth :poop:.

3> It's neither half full nor half empty. It's twice a big as it should be!

And, my simple, little hypothesis fits oh-so-well!

Enjoy your anything-but-simple, little 8-legged buddy!

(ALSO, NOTE THE EDITS I MADE TO THE ORIGINAL POSTING.)

Last edited:

drgonzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I placed that passage in TKG based on a verbal report from Dr. Robert Gale Breene, III (aka "Spider Bob), then President of the American Tarantula Society. Spider Bob had direct physical evidence of an eggsac produced by another lady's female Chilean rose in which all three color forms were evident after they had experienced a number of molts. Since that time there have been several other anecdotal reports by enthusiasts of the same type. Having said that, I really would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has ever had a female produce an eggsac and babies.

Sorry, but this doesn't mean much because we don't know for sure what the genotype of the father was. However, if by NCF you mean the grey color form, by my hypothesis these would be the homozygous "rr" individuals. Of necessity they would have to be homozygous for the "r" gene because the pink color form would probably be "Rr." And, as you state, you got no pink individuals. If all this is true, all you've shown is that the male was also homozygous for the "r" gene, a condition that is not too unbelievable because wild populations are normally kept fairly homozygous by intense inbreeding and brutal natural selection. In fact, the female you refer to may have been bred by one of her nephews or even her sons.

And again, this doesn't prove much. If my hypothesis is correct, the RCF (intense copper colored form) would be homozygous "RR." So they would have none of the "r" genes to pass to their offspring. They're merely breeding true because there are no variant genes to come into play.

It's a free country. You may think whatever you choose. I would be interested, however, if you have any substantial evidence for holding that opinion.

Not at all. Cool the males and restrict their food intake a little to retard their growth and maturation rates. Keep the females a little warmer than normal and power feed them. It's a technique that's now used by breeders worldwide for producing babies of many of the rarer species where we don't have much choice.

That I will heartily agree with. In fact, I did.

I have no idea what a "line bred trait" would be. Can you offer a definition?

Sorry, I don't understand this comment either. Can you clarify?

And that is one of the goals of starting this thread. I'm sitting here with bated breath, just aching to hear from anyone who has had any real experience breeding Chilean rose tarantulas and who kept reasonably accurate records of the outcomes. Also, we need to hear from anyone else who may have had a wild caught female drop an eggsac that produced babies.

[size=+1]DON'T BE SHY FOLKS. WE NEED YOUR DATA![/size]​

That is most admirable. But, what we need are breeding records in order to illuminate their genetics. Just keeping them isn't enough I'm afraid.

But the qualities you itemize are not good enough to qualify them as distinct species. Before we can make hard and fast claims about species' identities we need hard and fast morphological and DNA evidence, among other things. And, while things like growth rate and temperament to name of few that you mentioned may indeed be different between different color forms, that may merely be a consequence of the various color forms arising from different colonies or collection sites. Or, they may vary between different "breeds" or strains of Chilean rose tarantulas much the same way that they differ between the various breeds of dogs. Again, they might be good enough to be used as peripheral, supporting evidence, but have no actual, hard and fast merit.

Good argument though! At least someone out there is paying attention! But, please get back to me about the several clarifications I requested above.
Wow not gonna have time tonight to reply to all of this.lol
If it is codom trait no breeding out come should have all three forms in one sac.By my understanding of genetics.
By line bred trait/sharing parental atributes I mean't like crossing a kingsnake with a corn snake.Some will look like a king,some like a corn,some,like a 50/50

Originally Posted by drgonzo

... I think they shouldn't be bred together, ...
My personal observations..I by know means claim to know anything/everything about genetics or T's.But have been in the reptile hobby 20 years and will claim I know everything about herps lol.I worked with and for a local herp importer who does alot of inverts.Every import I have ever helped unpack the RCF had a much higher mortality rate in transit,and come into the country much more dehydrated and underweight than the NCF.Same distributor,are they coming from a diffrent area and have longer transit time?If thats the case do there ranges over lap in the wild?
That was some of my reasoning behind not breeding them together,since the RCF come in in sadder shape than the NCF.I just assumed they weren't comming from the same local as the NCF

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So in theory if co dom breeding out comes should be
Grammostola sp whiteXGrammostola sp white = All Grammostola sp white 100%
Grammostola sp whiteXNCF =75% Grammostola sp white and 25% NCF
NCFXNCF=75%NCF(visiable het,one homozygous form showing)and 25%RCF(super form,two homozygous forms showing)
RCFXNCF=50%RCF and 50%NCF
RCFXRCF= 100% RCF
RCFXGrammostola sp white= 100%NCF (the easiest and quicked way to prove or disprove this)
First, BioTeach corrected me above. This is probably not a case of co-dominance, but rather a case in incomplete dominance.

And, I can't comment on your table because I don't know what "Grammostola sp white" is. Can you explain?

However, two paragraphs that I failed to add to my original posting are:

Thus, by this hypothesis we can define the three colors reported most often as:

(Phenotype = Genotype)

Red (copper) color form = RR

Pink color form = Rr

Grey color form = rr

And, the outcomes from interbreeding these various color forms are inferred in the scorecards above and itemized here:

RR x RR = 100% RR, 0% Rr, 0% rr

RR x Rr = 50% RR, 50% Rr, 0% rr

RR x rr = 0% RR, 100% Rr, 0% rr

Rr x Rr = 25% RR, 50% Rr, 25% rr

Rr x rr = 0% RR, 50% Rr, 50% rr

rr x rr = 0% RR, 0% Rr, 100% rr

I hope this helps clarify the matter.

Last edited:

drgonzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First, BioTeach corrected me above. This is probably not a case of co-dominance, but rather a case in incomplete dominance.

And, I can't comment on your table because I don't know what "Grammostola sp white" is. Can you explain?
I meant north,I assume what your calling gray?here is a pic(NOT MINE) not sure if it's against the rules mods please remove if it is
images.jpg
NCF I'm refering to this/pink?
20120103_77.jpg
RCF I'm refering to this/copper red?
20120103_79.jpg

The only thing that was diffrent on my chart was If it was a codom trait
Rr x Rr = 25% RR, 50% Rr, 25% rr would be Rr X Rr = 25% RR,75% Rf,0% rr(making it impossible to produce all three color forms in one sac)
What I was tring to point out is that RR x rr = 0% RR, 100% Rr, 0% rr would be the fasted way to prove it out.By breeding a RCF to a gray/north to produce all pink/NCF

Last edited:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only thing that was diffrent on my chart was If it was a codom trait
Rr x Rr = 25% RR, 50% Rr, 25% rr would be Rr X Rr = 25% RR,75% Rf,0% rr(making it impossible to produce all three color forms in one sac)
Rr x Rr will always produce 25% RR, 50% Rr, 25% rr. Whether the trait is codom, recessive, incomplete dominant, or has some strange epistatic interaction, alleles still segregate in the same fashion. Whether or not the allele is expressed, or how it interacts with other loci doesn't change how the are inherited (independent assortment).

Also, a line-bred trait simply means that you have a line that breeds true for a specific trait (ie, all RCF within a lineage). The genetics of that trait is not specified.

If the color forms are not locality specific variation in coloration, then I would agree with Pikaia that it is likely due to a single locus. Three discrete color forms with no intermediates between them indicates that it would be a simple genetic mechanism.

Last edited:

drgonzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rr x Rr will always produce 25% RR, 50% Rr, 25% rr. Whether the trait is codom, recessive, incomplete dominant, or has some strange epistatic interaction, alleles still segregate in the same fashion. Whether or not the allele is expressed, or how it interacts with other loci doesn't change how the are inherited (independent assortment).

Also, a line-bred trait simply means that you have a line that breeds true for a specific trait (ie, all RCF within a lineage). The genetics of that trait is not specified.

If the color forms are not locality specific variation in coloration, then I would agree with Pikaia that it is likely due to a single locus. Three discrete color forms with no intermediates between them indicates that it would be a simple genetic mechanism.
With the Rr we are refering to the pink color form correct?Meaning by THEORY if it was codom and rr is the wild type the Rr is carring this "hypomelenistic" gene in a homozygous and hetrozygous form(the red being a super form of the gene displaying both forms of the homozygous trait.)
IE Pastel ball python X Pastel= NO normal/wild type
I'm not sure I'm understanding,how were considering these color morphs genetic.
Is the wild type rr or Rr?are we saying it is one gene/morph producing the three color phase or possibale two,seperate mutations.Does anyone have ANY info if rrxrr always breeds true?
I would still like someone to chime in on personally having a Rr(ncf)xRr(ncf) produce RR(red)or rr(gray/north)and to what percentages.
I have never seen a WC display any intermediates between them you can tell 100% Rr (ncf) and RR (red)
I have too many questions to jump on the genetic color morph side.The big one being local data do there ranges overlap?
Another problem I have with this is I heard talk of grammosola going cities soon,I don't know how true this is.But if not genetic and local specific color variants,it will muddy up alot of waters.

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... If it is codom trait no breeding out come should have all three forms in one sac.By my understanding of genetics. ...
No. Here's a graphical breakdown. (You're probably going to have to click the thumbnail to see the details.)

(Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

In fact, incomplete dominance (what you are mistakenly calling co-dominance) is the ONLY way that we can get three color forms. (Unless, of course, something really weird is happening here. Possible, especially with tarantulas, but not very probable.) The test in our case is the difference in the appearance of the offspring between the two possible outcomes. If pink occurs in the real world, then the inheritance has to be incomplete dominance.

... By line bred trait/sharing parental atributes I mean't like crossing a kingsnake with a corn snake.Some will look like a king,some like a corn,some,like a 50/50 ...
The major problem with your example or the concept that herpetologists (and others) are using is that they're comparing entire animals. That involves a whole galaxy of inheritable traits, plus a huge measure of personal bias or interpretation. Those interested in animal husbandry (plant husbandry too) can handle that okay, but geneticists (who are basically reductionists) have trouble juggling more then a small handful of inheritable traits at a time, and then only when absolutely necessary. And, being scientists rather than engineers, they also try to separate personal bias and interpretation from reproducible, bare facts. It would appear that the term "line bred" might be a tad too vague to convey any really important meaning in our case.

... are they coming from a diffrent area and have longer transit time?If thats the case do there ranges over lap in the wild? ...
If I can swing a trip to Chile, I may be able to answer that question in about a year or a year-and-a-half. Stay tuned.

... That was some of my reasoning behind not breeding them together,since the RCF come in in sadder shape than the NCF.I just assumed they weren't comming from the same local as the NCF
That's entirely possible. But, my pen pal in Chile has sent me photos of RCF male G. rosea in his backyard, just a half day's drive from the national capitol, Santiago. I don't think travel time would have a lot to do with it. It could be care during shipping and handling, or it could be that the RCF are basically a weaker genetic makeup than the other forms. This sort of thing is not unusual throughout the animal and plant kingdoms. After all is said and done, the relative "strength" or "survivability index" of various gene combinations is the basis on which evolution works.

Enjoy your little, 8-legged, natural history lesson!

---------- Post added 01-03-2012 at 11:34 AM ----------

Rr x Rr will always produce 25% RR, 50% Rr, 25% rr. Whether the trait is codom, recessive, incomplete dominant, or has some strange epistatic interaction, alleles still segregate in the same fashion. Whether or not the allele is expressed, or how it interacts with other loci doesn't change how the are inherited (independent assortment). ...
"Drgonzo," not being a geneticist, is having the common problem trying to differentiate between genetic makeup (i.e., genotype) and appearance (i.e., phenotype), and that causes some confusion. But, he cannot be blamed for that. I've met some biology teachers who also made the same mistake. :eek: For the sake of this discussion we shall forgive his minor confusion and proceed.

... Also, a line-bred trait simply means that you have a line that breeds true for a specific trait (ie, all RCF within a lineage). The genetics of that trait is not specified. ...
Good definition! Thanks.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
The major problem with your example or the concept that herpetologists (and others) are using is that they're comparing entire animals. That involves a whole galaxy of inheritable traits, plus a huge measure of personal bias or interpretation. Those interested in animal husbandry (plant husbandry too) can handle that okay, but geneticists (who are basically reductionists) have trouble juggling more then a small handful of inheritable traits at a time, and then only when absolutely necessary. And, being scientists rather than engineers, they also try to separate personal bias and interpretation from reproducible, bare facts. It would appear that the term "line bred" might be a tad too vague to convey any really important meaning in our case.
This was my problem, I applied snake logic to tarantulas.

Perhaps our long lived G. rosea problem can be solved with a smaller fast growing, breeding, and dying species that has multiple color forms like H. incei or P. murinus? I guess I am inferring that the different species will show the same results. Either way This will be interesting.