Sling fangs

mark e sic

Arachnosquire
I tried a search but couldnt come up with anything.. Are a slings fangs long or big enough to punture human flesh.. in other words should i worry about picking up a .5 sling or is it have to do more with the species? What size does the T. have to be in order for it to penetrate our skin? ohh and does the potency of thier venom have related to its age or is it that they cant yet control how much they deliver each bite?

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
I've never been bit before but yes I'm quite sure a half inch sling could puncture your skin. Even if they can't I wouldn't hold a sling. Chances are it'll run up your shoulder and down you shirt.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like to treat my tarantulas as I do fish..."look-and-don't-touch" pets.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well they certainly are not hand pets, but try that "look and dont touch" approach when you have 150+ slings to pack, it wont work;-)

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well they certainly are not hand pets, but try that "look and dont touch" approach when you have 150+ slings to pack, it wont work;-)
Touché.

I was referring to holding them just for the sake of holding them though, not packing them for shipment.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Turns out google searches better thank the search function but here's a story of a sling 1/4 " that bit it's owner. The first post, so there you have it
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?10080-Avicularia-versicolor
Google does not search better than the search function here, but rather, you just don't know how to properly use this site's search function. There is a fantastic tutorial on it, and it's an easy read that will teach you a lot. Notice how the google search brought you to a thread posted on this site? Once you learn how to use the search function here, you'll find that thread, and many others pertaining to your search criteria.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
With a half-inch sling, you won't be holding anything, except your breath, trying to keep track of it as it scurries across your am and perhaps falls on your lap and disappears.

A 3" juvie of a docile terrestrial species, that you can hold without as much worry.

If you are of the handling school, then you need bigger than a tiny sling. I have about a dozen of my 170 that I handle. The rest are hands off.

Marga

Amoeba

Arachnolord
If you read through the bite reports you'll see that plenty of people have been tagged by their slings. I have an easier time letting the little guys on me that adults. I've even heard (via talking but not personally seen) of 2i spiders throwing threat displays.

kanito107

Arachnosquire
Google does not search better than the search function here, but rather, you just don't know how to properly use this site's search function. There is a fantastic tutorial on it, and it's an easy read that will teach you a lot. Notice how the google search brought you to a thread posted on this site? Once you learn how to use the search function here, you'll find that thread, and many others pertaining to your search criteria.

but in all honesty i did read the "helpful" article or suggestion that you call tutorial, and pretty much doesnt change what i feel about the search function, it does its searches based on keywords not full sentences which doesnt really bring much up,
but anyway what does that have anything to do with it bringing me here, i told google to search in arachnoboards yes thats why it brought up a million results from arachnoboads so.... wut? is the point?
so anyways ill stick to google thanks for the tip though

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
My 1" OBT decided it wanted me to handle it. I opened the container carefully and the next thing I know I was in the bath tub at 2am with my fiance helping me strip and telling me where the spider was on me. Whew! It didn't try to bite me or act defensively, just sprinted as fast as a wolf spider all over my body. Those fangs sure are cute though!

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personally wouldn't be overly worried about it either way. But ya they could take a lil chew of you.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If you read through the bite reports you'll see that plenty of people have been tagged by their slings. I have an easier time letting the little guys on me that adults. I've even heard (via talking but not personally seen) of 2i spiders throwing threat displays.
+1 who would ever have guessed the Worlds Largest Spider's could bite you as a baby...
yes Look at bite reports they can bite you..

Search function is not a ghost.... I know I dont use it either / worth a try ehh?

Last edited:

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
site:arachnoboards.com sling bites

I agree, google functions better and faster than the search function on here.

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can speak from experiance as I have been bitten by a 1/4" C. fasciatum sling trying to keep it from running up my shirt sleeve. Didn't hurt too much just a very slight burning sensation that lasted about 10 minutes and two miniscule pin pricks for puncture wounds.

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
I don't like handling slings personally, I'm worried that I might hurt them or even drop them if they scurried about too much.

mark e sic

Arachnosquire
I dont know why there is even a comparison between GOOGLE a (multi million dollar company) vs. (no offense) arachnoboards forum search. and why are we talking about it in the first place... i know can u get alot of helpful info in this site but you can also get alot of little moody remarks from the "vets" of the hobby... Im just saying I would love to just get answers and not "no havent you read the forum you have to search" watever dude thats what the site is for otherwise why post? We all know half of all the posts in the forum have been repeated at one time or another. sorry if I offend anybody its just ive noticed alot of hijacking(meaning ppl take over the thread because they want to argue about handling slings or not wen the thread had nothing to do with it) and alot of insults being slung at newcomers who wouldnt know any better because they just got a T. cus they thought It was awesome and now its upside down. probably irrelevant but its my thread so skrew it.

---------- Post added 01-04-2012 at 04:13 PM ----------

the above was not ment to offend anybody.:biggrin:

Last edited:

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I have a GBB that's like .5 in and it gives me display threats.
I'll have to get a picture sometime.

I also have some .75 in P. murinus that flip on their back and give me display threats. Though my big ones flip on their back and give display threats too.