New to arboreal, Best arboreal tarantula to begin with?

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have a few tarantulas but their all terrestrial, and now I would like to get me an arboreal one, I don't know which one is the best for someone with no experience about them, so which one is not poisonous? and best to keep as an beginner? any help would be much appreciated, thanx

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi, I have a few tarantulas but their all terrestrial, and now I would like to get me an arboreal one, I don't know which one is the best for someone with no experience about them, so which one is not poisonous? and best to keep as an beginner? any help would be much appreciated, thanx
No tarantulas are poisonous,they are venomous. And A.avic is a great starter. Gets you used to higher humidity requirements and something "jumpy"

Its420Somewhere

Arachnopeon
My personal suggestion would be an Avicularia Versicolor. As sling's they are a beautiful blue color, they spin incredibly artistic web's, mine have always been docile enough to handle, and I've never had one show the slightest hint of defensiveness towards anyone.

I'm a big fan of the A.Versicolors. I have what I believe to be a 18 month or so female that's just gorgeous. I also have a 1inch sling that is an incredible shade of blue.

Everyone I show my Versicolor's to are just captivated by it's colors, webs, and docile nature.

Arachnopeon
Thanx for the help I can now get myself a B.Boehmei or an A.Avicularia, I know the B.Boehmei is not arboreal but I Love them so which one is the best? and sorry for the poisonous\venomous thing I am afrikaans not english hahaha

jim777

Arachnosquire
A. versicolor would be my choice as well. I've never seen a threat from my versi, and it is absolutely gorgeous. Easy to handle, easy to keep, a real winner in the arboreal world in my opinion.

Its420Somewhere

Arachnopeon
A. versicolor would be my choice as well. I've never seen a threat from my versi, and it is absolutely gorgeous. Easy to handle, easy to keep, a real winner in the arboreal world in my opinion.
Absolutely. You can't forget their funny "wave walk" too! Such a goofy walk. Definitely my #1 recommendation for a beginner arboreal.

Perocore

Arachnoknight
I just got my second T, and my first arboreal. An A. versicolor sling. It's a gorgeous blue, and moves around constantly. Very active, and has the goofiest walk I've ever seen, almost looks like a high-stepped marching of some sort XD I've heard a lot of good things about the versicolor, so I'd have to recommend these cuties <3

Huzi

Arachnopeon
Hi 007 I'm from south africa too .any avics is a good beginner arboreal ,their temperaments ,color etc ..I own A.avic and A.versi and no problems at all , I handle them now and then and never received any aggression .

B.boehmi is also a good choice ,nice colors etc but they can be a bit of a hair kicker and skittish.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For a beginner I would go with the A. avic / common pink toe. They don't seem to be as skittish and jumpy as the A. versi. If you're wanting color then the versi is what you want, but I'm basing my opinion on you being a newbie to arboreals. My A. versis can be very jumpy. Not just skittish jumpy, but jumpy as in sneak out of enclosure when you open it and jump to the floor...lol. Ít definitely takes getting used to. My adult female A. avic was sooooo calm. I took her out quite often. They all have their own moods tho so you might not get one so calm. Not to mention A. avics are really cheap...even as adults and if after you have it and think it's not for you then you won't be out too much money.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Any Avicularia sp. Pokies can be pretty good but their speed and temperament are something to seriously consider. P. regalis is an example of a good start with pokies. Good luck

matt82

Arachnoknight
As said, any Avic would be sweet choice, A. diversipies is the only one I know of that fall slightly outside of "normal" Avic behaviour.

Psalmopoeus could possibly be described as a middle ground between keeping Avics and Pokies.

Good luck with your choice :)

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As said, any Avic would be sweet choice, A. diversipies is the only one I know of that fall slightly outside of "normal" Avic behaviour.

Psalmopoeus could possibly be described as a middle ground between keeping Avics and Pokies.

Good luck with your choice :)
I agree with this.

Beginner arboreal - Avics...and that's about it, to be honest. I wouldn't recommend any other commonly kept arboreal as a true "beginner" tarantula. It's true that people start off with Pokies and are fine, but that has to be a personal decision in which someone needs to be honest about their own capabilities, their own experience with exotics, their ability to handle something fast, and their ability to handle something with medically significant venom. If someone wants a stepping stone from a beginner tarantula, Psalmopoeus are a great way to go. I would never recommend any Poecilotheria as a beginner species. That's not to say you can't start off with one and be ok in the long run, but that doesn't change the fact that you'd be jumping into the deep end of the pool.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's not to say you can't start off with one and be ok in the long run, but that doesn't change the fact that you'd be jumping into the deep end of the pool.
i agree with jayefbe. My 2nd t (1st arboreal AND 1st sling) was a P. regalis, and it WAS a lot like jumpin in the deep end when i couldnt tread water yet. Ive never really recommend somebody to do the same as ME, but i wouldnt DETER them.

---------- Post added 01-11-2012 at 03:07 PM ----------

but that has to be a personal decision in which someone needs to be honest about their own capabilities, their own experience with exotics, their ability to handle something fast, and their ability to handle something with medically significant venom.
this is very true . NEVER get a t, THEN DO RESEARCH. know your t BEFORE you buy/receive it. Also, buying a t that makes you nervous (in hopes that it pushes you into the above mentioned deep end) is strongly ill-advised........ to the op, id say go ahead and get any particular arboreal you have your eye on. avic, psalmo,pokie whatever... just KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING INTO. theyre all amazing and most will end up in your collection anyways

Last edited:

Sweepstakes

Arachnopeon
My first arboreal was a P. irminia. After that I obtained an adult A. avic and frankly avics just don't do it for me. Maybe I need to start with a sling but if you want something a bit higher up on the difficulty list I'd go with a P. irminia over an avic any day.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
has to be Avicularia... my first which hasn't arrived yet is a P regalis
so gotta get prepared ;)

charlesc84

Arachnopeon
Pokies are awesome, I would get one of them.

Arachnopeon
Thanx everyone, I think im going to get myself an A.avic, thanx for the help im going to do some research about them, is there any thing special I should be aware of?

Huzi

Arachnopeon
They do require high humidity and lots of ventilation ,so a well ventilated container and regular mistings will be fine...with my avic slings I cut The top of the lid of and replace it with gauze and I mist about every 2-3 days .

jim777

Arachnosquire
Thanx everyone, I think im going to get myself an A.avic, thanx for the help im going to do some research about them, is there any thing special I should be aware of?
They like to web at the top of their container, so if you can set it up in a container that opens from the middle or the bottom you won't destroy its web when you mist or add crickets or what-not.